Short's Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

3.4

Reviews: 200 | Ratings: 541
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Not much in the way of lacing, but I did notice small little particles floating near the surface...graham cracker pieces?

S - Very bright, lemon/lime and not much else. Kind of reminds me of the household cleaner, Pledge.

T - Very, very tart up front. They really nailed the lime flavor. I'm having a hard time picking up the toasted / sweet notes that would represent the graham cracker and marshmallow. This one has a slight metallic taste on the finish. I nursed this one for awhile and it actually got better as it warmed. The harsh tartness wasn't as pronounced and I started to pickup more of the sweet malt. I enjoyed this a little more as I got to the bottom of the glass.

M - medium-light body with light carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Not too bad for a novelty beer. I can see where they were trying to go with this. It's worth a try for yourself if you're curious. I applaud Short's for their creativity and experimentation.

2.16/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a novelty brew. Does it taste like lime? Sure. Does it taste like keylime pie? No. I don't know if that would make it any better. My sense of smell was somewhat diminished due to allergies during tasting but two of my lady friends confirmed a strong scent of white vinegar, it was off putting.

I didn't mind the taste. It wasn't a drain pour but it isn't something I'll want to drink again. I've heard good things about Shorts and I was sad I couldn't stop in the last time I was in northern michigan on a golf trip but this beer didn't rep them well (although I didn't expect it to).

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%

I was excited to see this extra,Thanks Steve! Poured into a Duvel tulip at about 50 degrees.

A. Body is a hazy copper to brown color, A one finger off-white head appears and recedes to a nice cap. Not much lacing to speak of.

S. I definately get a tart smell of lime at first. Then comes the graham cracker,bread crust anf some lemony hops.

T. To be honest it tastes just like a grahm cracker with a slice of lime on it.

M. Nice medium feel kind of creamy. Carbonation is good. Leaves a tart aftertaste.

Overall I can tell that this is a well made beer it's just not for me at all. I will however give Short's props for experimenting. It was an expeience for sure.

2.37/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a copper chestnut shade with no head or lacing.

The smell was a step up from the appearance. There's a sharp sweetness to it that smells of lime and perhaps even a bit minty. The cloying sweetness is a little off-putting for me.

The taste again, is overly sweet. They did indeed create a key lime pie flavor, and they did it quite well, but the sweetness of this is too much. I really don't know how to describe it well. It's key lime pie in a beer. Cloyingly sweet though, even for KLP.

The body is medium to thin. Carbonation is just right. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this beer achieves what it sets out for. I'm wondering what kind of brew Shorts couldn't pull off. As far as drinkability goes, it's far too sweet for me to finish. If it's more bearable after warming up, I may complete it, but otherwise It'll likely be a drain-pour.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to jl28r1 for sharing this one.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head and decent head retention.

Aroma: I was expecting key lime pie, I was not expecting it to smell like salsa. I swear that I what I could smell and I was not alone at the table with that impression.

Taste: The taste definitely has a feel of key lime pie. You can taste subtle gram cracker with a burst of citrus and some lactose.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall: It wasn't bad, but it was weird. There is no way I could finish an entire bottle myself, great beer for a bottle share. I can't say it was a bad beer, considering what it is trying to be, but I can definitely say that I would not buy another if given the chance.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

A: actually a nice, somewhat hazy golden color with decent retention...

S: Bright and lemony-lime right away...I mean, as soon as the cap came off, which stuck to it as it was poured...

T: Lemon - lime type of house hold cleaner type of flavor...some small floaties -- maybe marshmellows, like the kind that was in the hot chocolate packet when you were a kid...but didn't taste marshmellowy..

M: medium bodied, lots of carbonation..decent

O: Interesting experiment. Nothing I could drink drastic amounts of but glad I tried.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz bottle into pint glass. 2011 bottling.

A: Pours a murky orange hue, with a thing white head, that dissipates very quick into a nonexistent presence. Floating pieces of marshmallow show it's present in the visual. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Aroma is light in intensity, with a good level of spicy, lime like gram cracker. Hops seem to be at low levels showing other characters.

TM: Juicy on the the mouthfeel, with a spicy zing of lime. Very sweet on the finish. Malt show fullness in the body, but very beady and fades into a nice level of lime. Carbonation is at good levels and if full, but not dominating.

O: For the ingredients used, this does blend well and overall turn out drinkable and good. I did get the "what's in your beard? - Check- oh thats marshmallow from the key lime pie.."

2.12/5  rDev -37.6%

September 25, 2011.

Pours a watered-down bronze. It's hazy and has tiny chunks of something resembling bread crumbs that cling to the side of the glass.

Light lactose, sweet lime, and buttery, bready maltiness.

Hmm. When I first smelled and tasted this, I thought: "This can't be right." But I think I was mistaken - it's odd, but it does seem like what a key lime pie masquerading as a beer might seem like. Sweet, bready malts [graham cracker?]; somewhat metallicized lime; sweet and milky lactose. It's hard to get more than the muddled lime and sweet maltiness out of it. I like key lime pie well enough, but this is just a bit off. The lactose and sugary sweetness combine with an almost indiscernible tartness, which gives off an aura of spoiled milk. Just a weird beer.

Medium, with medium-low carbonation. As mentioned, there are junks of something in it.

Adventurous, but not a very good beer. Had no real desire to finish this.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

08/09/11
Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly soda like carbonation head that dissipates immediately leaving some sediment to float at the top. Nose is sweet caramel, graham cracker, sugary. Taste is strange, dominated by sweet graham cracker mostly, marshmallow appears briefly with only a hint of lime. Lager like yeast is apparent at the end and a bitter/sour note before it all ends abruptly with almost no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.
Overall, a very strange take on a beer. Not something I really enjoyed drinking or could stand too much off. Recommended as a single bottle for a try.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

From notes

A - cloudy amber body, a head that comes and goes very quickly.

S - light citrus, vanilla/marshmallow notes, some graham cracker

T - sweet cracker and marshmallow, and very mild lime

M - flat, light, dull

O - not terrible. An interesting experiment, not quite successful

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

A- weird hazy yellow with ni head what so ever. Got s little bit of flosting Graham cracker in my beer

S- little bit of Graham cracker. Little bit of lime, but not very appeasing

T-little bit of lime and grahm but not as much as ii would have liked and it turns out to be not a good beer

M- medium body and ok

O-so disappointing wow

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

big thanks to erikkoppin for this one ! looking forward to it.

poured cold from the bottle a murky copper to a sun king shaped pint with a 1/2 finger, super short lasting beige head that fades to an endless supply of bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

aroma, as advertised, of lime and not much else.

hmmm, not sure what to make of this - like a lime aid I'm thinking. "A" for effort, easily the most unique beer I've sampled.

big to medium bodied, big carbonation, bubbly, sweet and sour.

overall - wow, original - good ? I'm not sure.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The Short's guys are known to be big Ween fans, so the question needs to be asked: How much ether to you need to huff before you come up with the idea of Key Lime Pie beer? This beer is way too scary sounding to assume the risk of a six-pack, so the opportunity to split a bottle at a tasting party was much appreciated.

It is a weird-looking beer, looks like your standard ale after you've crumbled graham crackers into it. Somehow it looks like your finger would dissolve if you dipped it in.

Lime and graham are present and accounted for in terms of aroma. Can't pick up the marshmallow, but I don't know what marshmallow smells like 'ceptin' if it's on fire. Smell is pretty good. Un-beery though, vaguely Zima-esque.

The taste is a bizarre mishmash of tart, sweet, and creamy.

Finishes dry, reasonably carbonated and much less harsh on the mouth than I expected.

Final verdict, well, they get 10 points for originality. It is definitely a unique beer that you should try if you get a chance. I don't think I'll have one again, but it does pique my curiousity about Short's other brews from the Land of Misfit Beers.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Previous a very murky orange with three fingers of very effervescent, khaki head that quickly recedes into a few fizzy bubbles with no lacing.

S: Lots of lemon/lime citrus with some light graham aromas. Not much going on--smells like a Sprite.

T: Lots of lemon/lime flavors . . . sour and tart. There are some graham cracker flavors towards the finish with some slight chocolaty notes.

M: Medium-light body with light, spritzy carbonation. This beer feels like a soda.

O: I can't call this a good beer, but it's very unique. It doesn't quite taste like a true key lime pie, but it's definitely got some lime and graham flavors going on. Definitely worth a try just to experience, but one bottle is enough.

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with very little off white head that disappears completely. Not very attractive.

Smell: Very mild, not what I was hoping for. Sweet and mild citrus hints, a bit creamy.

Taste: Really sweet, too sweet in fact. Citrus fruitiness and a creaminess as well. I think there needed to be more lime flavor to balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with smooth, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I wish there was more lime here. If you're going to do a beer like this, I think it's best to go big. I think I remember having this at the Extreme Beer Festival, and it reminded me a lot more of the pie. Don't think I'll have this one again.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

I just don't get how anyone can look at this and give it a rating of "average" or better. It looks f'ing disgusting. Flat, murky, dingy brown-orange, no head, and chunks of graham crackers (from what I'm told)... I hope. If Short's reputation didn't precede them and I know what I was getting into I would take one look at this and pour it down the drain.

Thankfully, the smell is more pleasant. All the desired aspects of key lime pie are there... lime, graham crackers, and marshmallow, yet they don't necessarily tie together as key lime pie.

But the taste goes back to being not so good, borderline putrid. The lime is sour, but there's also a milky taste about it and when those two are combined it reminds me of sour milk. The graham crackers are sweet and the only saving grace because the aftertaste quickly turns to stomach bile.

Mouthfeel is flat and thick.

I was able to scrounge up a "3.0" for overall simply because of the "what the f*ck" factor. It's interesting and I'm shocked that these flavors can be infused in a beer, but I'm also shocked it would be intentional. Short's does have the ability to make some pretty good beers so they get a pass from me, but I can't handle this one.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%

I originally tried this at the 2010 Michigan Winter Beer Festival and thought it was great. My taste may have changed since then, but this bottle does not quite live up to the original sample I recall.

A: Murky golden orange with (graham cracker?) floaters on the surface.

S: Very faint smell of sweet graham cracker.

T: Slightly sweet tart lime and hints of graham cracker.

M: A bit thick with light carbonation. Smooth film remains in mouth.

O: Certainly worth trying if you're in the mood for something different.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: The liquid looks just like apricot nectar and it doesn't take long for the inch or so of head to fritter away, leaving just a few strands behind

Smell: The key lime pie ingredients are all there, key lime cream filling and graham cracker crust; not that it all smells that great on a beer, however

Taste: Tastes just as it smells, with tart key lime flavors mingling with the graham cracker and lactose elements; after the swallow, the tartness moves into a sour direction

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation

Overall: Glad I tried this novelty but I am unlikely to seek it out again; kudos to the brewer for dreaming up this recipe

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a murky orange with a huge 3 inch extremely bubbly head that boils down to random spots of film. Random tiny bubbles of lace dot the glass on the drink down. The look of this beer is pretty dirty. Smell is of malt, peanuts, and sharp citrus aromas (but not really lime per se). The peanut aroma reminds me of the Uber Goober and PB&J beers. The taste is interesting with malt and subdued peanut flavors. The citrus is more apparent on the aftertaste where it lingers on the back of the tongue. This is also when a slight graham cracker taste settles in. The citrus creates a slightly sour and acidic mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. Overall, this is an odd beer that sounds like it would be great but comes out being just OK really. I am glad I got to try it but I wouldn't trade for this one again.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a couple bottles of Short's Key Lime Pie a couple weeks ago for $2.09 a piece at The Lager Mill. This is one of the main experimental beers from Short's that I have been wanting to try and since I missed out on it last year I figured I better get them while I can so I got the last three bottles that The Lager Mill had. As usual with Short's there is no visible bottling date, but it's fresh. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer isn't the greatest, but I don't mind it, it's pretty unusual. It poured a hazy orange/amber color and with a pretty aggressive poor I managed to get two fingers worth of a strange colored head that was one of the fastest fading heads I have ever seen, in two seconds it had all disappeared to just a couple small patches, this beer doesn't look that great.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is lots of moderately sweet biscuit malts that gives this beer a pretty dominating biscuit like smell that is very similar to the way that Strawberry Short's Cake smelled. There is a graham cracker like aroma that is quickly followed by a somewhat light does of Key Limes. After that I pick up some nice sweet creamy aromas from the lactose. I couldn't pick up any hops, this beer has a very unique aroma.

T- The taste is pretty sweet, but I expected that, it's also pretty similar to the aroma. The first thing I pick up is loads of sweet biscuit malts that along with something else I just can't put my finger on that gives this beer a graham cracker like taste. After the graham cracker comes the key limes, they stick out a little more then they did in the aroma, but a stronger key lime presence might help this beer taste closer to what a key lime pie tastes like. Next I get a little more biscuit malts then there is a nice creamy dose of milk sugar that gives this beer a flavor that is a cross between a marshmallow and whipped cream. The finish is pretty sweet and a mix between lactose and biscuit malts. A unique taste to go with a unique aroma.

M- Creamy, medium bodied and the carbonation was pretty fizzy that almost gave this a soda pop like mouthfeel that I feel like would only really work with beers like this.

Overall I thought this was a slightly above average beer. Admittedly I am not a fan of Key Lime pie, but I will eat it and I know what it tastes like and it seems like this beer was going in the right direction but the over abundance of biscuit malts gave this more of a biscuit in the Strawberry Short's Cake kind of flavor instead of being more like an actual key lime pie crust. I also thought the key lime presence could have been bumped up a little, but the lactose was a very nice addition and it was right where it should be. The sweetness makes this beer not too drinkable for me, So I treat this as a dessert beer and would only want one of these for a nice after dinner treat, but nothing more. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, an odd beer like this needs an odd mouthfeel to go with it and the fizzyness of the carbonation made for just that. What I liked least about this beer was the appearance it looked more like a type of soda pop more then it looked like a beer and the lack of any type of head retention made for a dare I say ugly beer. If I had to chose between this or a Strawberry Short's cake, I would take the Short's cake, its close tasting to the actual dessert. This beer is so unique that I think it should be tried once but rather you think it's genius or a fail is up to you. If I can't get my hands on this next year I won't be too disappointed, but I think I would still buy a bottle and I would love to try it on tap. While not the most impressive beer from Short's, you have to respect them for going out on a limb and taking a well known dessert and making it into a similar tasting dessert beer, it takes balls to put your name on a beer like this and toss it on the shelfs, but Short's is never afraid to take a chances and neither am I, that's why I will always take a chance on these crazy Short's brews.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Received yet another Short's beer from Scoot1969. Thanks again Scott!

A- Well, this shit doen't look to good. Burnt orange and extra cloudy. Real dirty looking. A giant head that when it recedes it looks like a ballon that suddenly deflates.

S- Typical Short's smell. Weird funky smell, somewhat sweet.

T- I have to admit, I was expecting something nasty, but this is refreshingly different. Kind of funky, I would guess they use the uber goober style base or something similar. I LIKE this beer's flavor.

M- Average at best. Seem right for the style. I would prefer it slightly thicker.

Surprisingly, I liked it.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a strangely-colored head. Color is dark cloudy amber. Also, a couple big particles coming up to the surface, hopefully a good thing? Smell is buttery sweet. First sip is quite interesting, almost like a crust in the mouthfeel and the flavor of the beer. This really is kind of like having a Ben and Jerry's pint in beer form. A little tart, although I expect it could be a little more. Still, I think this is another example of Shorts going onto the cutting edge on par with their Strawberry Shorts Cake. Sweet, Fruity, nice.

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours out an orange hue with no retention or lacing and lots of carbonation. The nose consists of citrus, graham crackers, lots of yeast and sweetness. The taste starts out with citrus followed by some sweet tasting stuff and finishes off with some graham cracker and pie crust. The mouthfeel has the consistency thanks to the high carbonation and feel of a sweet wine while giving it the smoothness of a cream stout making it very easy to drink. Overall this beer is not bad for a beer that most breweries would not try making, but it really doesn't do much for me and won't be going out of my way for this one.

2.21/5  rDev -35%

2011 Poured into a pint glass

Hazy Orange body. Large head fades immediately; more like bubbles from a soda or something. Poured it with intent to leave the yeast in the bottle but still ended up with some disgusting floating blobs. There is a layer atop the beer that seems oily

Aroma is sickly sweet and smells mostly like a super sweet pie crust

Taste starts with a little citrus then tons of sweetness, mostly crust. Only would guess Key Lime Pie because of its name

As my girlfriend said, "I need to go back in time to before I tried that"

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

2011 12 oz bottle

Poured into a glass with almost no head and a few floaties, I am not quite sure what they were but did not seem intimidating.

Smells pretty mild and creamy. It really has a subtle scent of key lime pie and graham crackers and yeast.

Tastes very limey at first then you get that creamy aftertaste. The lactose really comes through here and you can taste some molasses. Definitely better than I remember it tasting.

Feels very creamy and goes down incredibly smooth. I can't complain, it is very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall this is a mighty drinkable late summer/fall beer. I can't have too much of it but I am rather impressed. Better than the short's cake I will say that much.

Short's Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company