Freedom Of '78 | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by surlytheduff on 12-16-2010

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A big ole thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for this great beer I have heard about via Half Acre but now get the Short's version! Woot woot! Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours a golden hay color into my SA Perfect Pint with about two fingers of head that dissipates at a moderate pace leaving some nice looking, full lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Wow, what a great odd mixture of not so much bitter grapefruit (I'm so used to bitter grapefruit citrus aromas), orange, and hops all up front. But I'll be damned if the main aroma is just NICE ripe grapefruit. A refreshing and new aroma to me to be honest. Slight malty backbone.

Taste - DAMN close to the aroma. A wonderful, RIPE grapefruit flavor up front with just a hint of orange rind (still oddly sweet rather than bitter in that respect) which then flows to a bitter hoppy and hint of pine. Slight malt, but honestly the citrus shines here. Holy (excuse my language) shit. This beer completely surprised me.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes a hint dry.

Drinkability - IU could drink this all night long. This is an absolute pleasant surprise. A freaking fantastic brew from Short's that I would buy six packs of all day long. Damn good.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

I picked up a single of this at the store the other day since I haven't seen this beer around before and it's ratings were pretty good, so I decided to give this brew a try. The idea of a fruit infused IPA intrigues me. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a ping glass.

A- I like the label art on this beer, looks nicer and different then the other shorts labels. This beer poured a nice golden orange color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thing ring that left some lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer is utterly dominated by tons of citrus hops. I pick up tons of grapefruit along with some guava, as advertised.

T- The taste is that of a fruit basket that is filled with half citrus fruits and half tropical fruits, topped with a whole bunch of hop cones. The guava sticks out nicely in this brew along with some grapefruit and mango. There is a nice light malt back bone that helps tie everything together. There was a nice bitter bite at the end that went great with the all the fruit flavors in this beer.

M- Medium bodied with good carbonation and a crisp finish.

D- The alcohol is hidden very well in the brew, along with all the nice flavors and great balance. If I had two more I would drink both of them.

Overall I thought this was one awesome and different IPA. I really never thought about a fruit infused IPA, but after drinking this one I think it's an avenue more brewery's should explore. This was my first collaboration beer and it's an idea that I think is pretty cool. Great job shorts, you guys steady blow my mind.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in Stone IPA glass- thanks kzoobrew for the chance to try the other version.

Appearance- Slightly cloudy copper, 3 fingers of off-white head. Great lacing.

Aroma- Wow the guava just pops with a lovely sweetness. The hops are there too but that fruit is front and center.

Taste- Fruit juice with a slightly bitter finish. The guava really is the centerpiece here (as it should be), and you can almost feel the rind in your mouth. There is some taste here that is reminding me of something I drank as a kid, can't put my finger on it though.

Mouth- Nice. Good carbonation not too thick or thin.

Drink- I mean seriously you can put this down like fruit juice. I feel like they hit exactly what they wanted to here and I am not complaining. I can't find my notes on the Half Acre version but I am certain that I like this one better.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very good and unique beer. Very good IPA and not to fruity

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden copper pour with barely any head. This is one of the best smelling ipa I have ever had.. Pineapple, mango, minty freshness, guava, honey... Very sweet tropical fruit aroma.
The flavor is a bit bitter as I take the initial sip, then immediately encounter that delightful tropical fruity hop profile. Finishes with a sweet bready flavor. This is delicious.
Medium in body with lower carbonation.
This is one of the best shorts beers I've encountered so far. A lot like half acre's heyoka.. Hmm I wonder...

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honey pour, almost no head, great lacing. Smells of grapefruit, guava, citrus, and pomegranite. Tastes of guava, pineapple, grapefruit, and lime. Very well balanced, an incredible IPA, its somewhat similar to hopslam really, though a little fruitier, and slightly less balanced. Would drink again.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

Just exploding with guava. More guava, a little pine tar, followed by guava. The fruit flavor, although dominant and in your face, never comes across as artificial. Tart and sweet at the same time but finishes dry and piney. Bursting with fruit yet not overdone. One of the only shorts releases I really look forward to every year.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearence is light amber, fairly clear with a thin fizz of bubbles.

Smell is possibly the best attribute. I get what smells like citra hops and papaya. The smell fills the area near the glass.

Taste is papaya and guava followed by a sharp orange pith tartness.

Mouthfeel is memorable in that it's quite full bodied and chewy. Viscous.

Overall this is an excellent, unique brew from Shorts. No IPA I've tried compares to the flavors in this beer. Points for originality.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Big thanks to michibrew for hooking me up with this one. 12 oz bottle poured into tulip. Bottled 3/30/12.

A - Pours a golden color with a bright white one finger head. Slightly hazy but translucent for the most part. Good lacing.

S - Tangy aroma loaded with citrus and tropical fruit. Some citrus hops and herbs.

T - The flavor begins a little bit tart with some huge citrus rind flavors. Big citrus hops give a dank orange rind flavor. Great bitterness on the finish and the guava is really noticeable in the aftertaste. Fantastic flavor.

M - Tingly carbonation and a light-medium crisp feel.

O - This was probably one of the best single IPA's I've ever had. The guava and other tropical fruits combine perfectly with the citrus hops to create a unique, complex, and delicious flavor. I wish this one could be found in my area.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks go out to Andygirl for this bottle, bottled April 9th, 2013.

A- A clear light golden colour, 2" head of foam that shrinks slowly leaving some nice lacing behind.

S- Exotic tropical fruits of all kinds in the smell. Also, a wet hop like bitterness shines through, pine, grapefruit.

T- Guava in the name and, by heck, guava in the taste, big time. Nice sweet notes from that fruit that balances the hoppy, pine bitterness very darn well. After a few sips in, it's so easy to drink and i have to watch myself so I won't finish it too quickly. Pleasant long lasting aftertaste. Me likes!

M- Lowish level of carbonation and fairly light bodied, nice, very nice mouthfeel.

O- A very tasty and satisfying drinking experience here. My first Short's brew and a winner in my book. Yeah, I quite fancy the way Guava was executed here.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Opaque body, orange-yellow, slightly gray cast, short white head, lots of lacing.

S - Lots of fruit. Guava and other tropical fruits. A hint of pine. Slight notes of malt, sugar and honey.

T - So big. Lovely fruit, all guava and tropical, as in the nose. Hop pine, grapefruit, with pith. Delicious, but does teeter toward overload as it warms.

M - Very dry, with lovely fruit. A close that comes straight to the edge of harsh, but very clean.

O - Surprisingly lovely. The fruit is incredible. An IPA that really delivers.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Herbal, lemony, light fruit flavors, grassy, spicy, chewy. A tiny hint of sweet bubblegum flavor, which I agree might be gross, but somehow it works perfectly. Quite good. Very flavorful with a medium body. All flavors compliment each other. Very well made. A summer treat.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

A_Pours amber/gold in body with a frothy bone white head. Splotches of lacing cling to the glass.

S_Pungent hops,grapefruit and the guava is pretty noticeable.

T_Same as nose. Good combination of bitter and sweet. The guava is fairly easy to pick up and pairs well with pine and citrus flavors of the hops. Overall pretty damn hoppy.

M_Mouthfeel is a little thin,slick and sticky on the lips.

D_Very enjoyable. I've been finishing these fairly quickly.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

poured into my duvel tulip

appearance - golden orange with mild to moderate visible carbonation, a head of about a finger and a half

smell - strong citrus fruit up front with a slight hoppy aroma at the end

taste - starts off with a nice sweet fruity flavor similar to kiwi(ill assume this is the guava because i havnt had guava nectar without vodka in it) then it moves into a mixture of bitter hops and sweet citrus fruit, finishes with citrus kick and a nice bitter hop flavor that lingers

mouthfeel - thin, not as water but far thinner than i had anticipated, carbonation lightens this up a bit, very drinkable but i would have liked mine a bit thicker

drinkability - very easy to drink, nice sweet citrus, the bitter hoppy finish leaves you wanting more, would be very nice on a hot summer day, if this was released as a year round or summer offering it may replace soft parade as my go to shorts summer beer

over all this is a pretty decent brew, better than shorts year round offerings, as stated if re released i would buy it again

Freedom Of '78 from Short's Brewing Company