Freedom Of '78 | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by surlytheduff on 12-16-2010

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Kbeals again proves why he is one of the best BA's out there. Kevin and I go way back in trading, but he recently shipped out to serve our country in the Air Force.... but before he left, he needed to hammer me once again with Short's brews... I am in awe.

Poured into MNFG ... huge foamy off white head... amazing retention and lacing.. the brew is slightly hazed orange..

Seriously... the only thing I know about guava is in misc. frozen concentrate juices the wife brings home every now and then.... but there is no mistaking it in the nose... huge and never overpowering... a good punch of citrus hops pulls the IPA out.

Flavor is a bit more difficult.. the guava essence is there from front to back and lingers too long IMO... a bit of citrus zest helps steers this one back into IPA category.. so does a nice dry malt presence.. a very slight honey note ties everything together and begs for another sip... Damn.. the fruity essence lingers forever..

Body and carbonation are just about right... but the ringer is the guava notes.... I did not go into this bottle expecting to like it, but I am sure I do now.. I can't believe the "weirdness" and still enjoy every sip.. very fresh and so off the charts odd.

Kevin and Shorts did it again .... I wish I knew the brewers' secrets on this one.

4/4.5/4/4/4

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a small off-white head with decent retention. Minimal lacing.

(S)- Wow, a huge burst of tropical citrus. That guava is really evident; bringing with it a peach, pineapple, and lime accent. Some minimal pine in there too. What a fresh and vibrant aroma. Unique for the style.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only with more malts showing themselves in the form of light caramel. Very piney with pine-needle all over the place. The citrus takes a backseat to all this.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Has a sharp dry piney bitterness, but is counterbalanced well with a good malty backbone and tropical citrus.

(D)- I always enjoy how Shorts pushes the envelope on what you can expect from a beer style. This is no different. A refreshing take on an overproduced style.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to GrandCruDrew for a couple bottles of this Short's IPA. Consumed during an event as rare as a Minnesota spring - alone in the house, watching my flailing Twins. Against the Royals. AAA baseball at its finest.

Poured into my lovely Dreamweaver glass, a nice amber, redder than your standard IPA. Nose in, there's the guava alright. Grapefruit & pale malt provide backup.

Freedom of '78 is a bitter, bitter brew. You might wanna warn a guy in the nose before you smack him like that. Hard-charging grapefruity hops open with blazing bitterness, reined in only moderately with the input of guava. The fruit-on-fruit violence pairs up nicely. Pale malts peer out briefly, but fade away into a wave of more bitterness to close this one out. Cut a bit of alcohol out of this one, & it's a fine session brew.

Simple but hugely enjoyable. Wasn't sure about the guava, but Short's wedded these in perfect marital bliss. Excellent.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to gnemesis for filling my mailbox with shorts beers this evening. This was my second taste from the box.

a-Poured a foggy orange with a frothy white head that left milkshake-like trails on the glass.

s-Very bittery hops. Sweet guava, almost smells like papaya juice. Very grapefruit forward too, super tart.

t-Overly bittered hop flavor. Drinkable but pretty intense. Candied guava and grapefruit is there, but mostly leads with the hops. I like a bit more balance.

m/d-Cooling, but extremely bitter. Nice carbonation and not too thick. Rich in flavor, easy to drink. I would prefer a bit less bitterness but enjoyable.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

I picked up a single of this at the store the other day since I haven't seen this beer around before and it's ratings were pretty good, so I decided to give this brew a try. The idea of a fruit infused IPA intrigues me. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a ping glass.

A- I like the label art on this beer, looks nicer and different then the other shorts labels. This beer poured a nice golden orange color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thing ring that left some lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer is utterly dominated by tons of citrus hops. I pick up tons of grapefruit along with some guava, as advertised.

T- The taste is that of a fruit basket that is filled with half citrus fruits and half tropical fruits, topped with a whole bunch of hop cones. The guava sticks out nicely in this brew along with some grapefruit and mango. There is a nice light malt back bone that helps tie everything together. There was a nice bitter bite at the end that went great with the all the fruit flavors in this beer.

M- Medium bodied with good carbonation and a crisp finish.

D- The alcohol is hidden very well in the brew, along with all the nice flavors and great balance. If I had two more I would drink both of them.

Overall I thought this was one awesome and different IPA. I really never thought about a fruit infused IPA, but after drinking this one I think it's an avenue more brewery's should explore. This was my first collaboration beer and it's an idea that I think is pretty cool. Great job shorts, you guys steady blow my mind.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle drank in my Orval glas...A clear gold, decent carbonation...Sweet aroma of pineapple, mango, a touch of the guava, less than the Half acre...Taste starts off like fruit juice, acidic, a bite, and finally a little hops. The more you drink the hops come through. Not the best ipa but decent and worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Sampled at SAVOR 2015. 4.0 - Great Amarillo hops, but pretty one dimensional. Belgian yeast would compliment its character nicely. As is, this brew is a little flat.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Freedom Of '78 from Short's Brewing Company