Short's Dan's Pink Skirt | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Thorpe429 on 01-02-2011

2.89/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance - 3.75/5
Pours a great looking clear bright orange, with about two+ fingers of weirdly uneven white foamy head. Can see an average amount of carbonation rising up the beer, and can see very small particulates throughout the beer.

Smell - 2.75/5
Slightly sweet pine-citrus hops, maybe some light malt flavor.

Taste - 2.75/5
Pine-resin hops, with some slight floral notes as well as a hint of citrus. Fairly bitter. The hops are a little too intense and the taste a little too bitter for my liking.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
Medium body, fairly smooth (though bitter). Slightly syrupy. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall - 3/5
I'm not a big IPA fan, though usually most IPAs are drinkable for me, and I have slight to moderate enjoyment of them. That was not the case for this one. It was a little bit of a chore to finish off this beer and needless to say, I will not be drinking this again.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle acquired in a trade with michaellcoates (thanks again, man!). Pricetag reads $1.87. "American India Pale Ale." I'm reviewing it as an IPA because the label clearly identifies it as such. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun label art and branded pressure cap (also with fun art) served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery. I can't corroborate the currently listed 6.40% ABV with the bottle I have.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Paired with carne asada.

A: Pours a two finger head of beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Good (~5-6 minute) retention. No real lacing as the head recedes. No bubble show. Fairly soft complexion.

Body colour is a cloudy nontransparent yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent. Good vibrance, if a bit understated.

Looks average for the style, but it doesn't seem to be filtered. I find it quite attractive, but I wouldn't call it unique or special. Certainly no overt or obvious flaws.

Sm: Floral hop notes. Citrusy but not in a juicy or particularly evocative way. Peach, timid orange, and grapefruit. Maybe tangerine. Pale malts. Caramalt. Some pine. No oily or nectary hop character. I get little fruity notes aside from those that emerge from the hops. I guess pine is dominant, overall. A fairly clean aroma. Somewhat fresh. The hop choices don't seem ideal, but it does come off balanced based on the aroma.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An average strength aroma. Pretty decent for the style overall.

T: Floral hops and murky light citrusy hops - which are not at all evocative or juicy. Pale malts. A bit of piney hop character. Not getting any nectary or oily hops. It leaves a lot to be desired in the hop department, but there are some interesting choices. It's approaching left-out-overnight orange juice in some respects; I could see this growing awful with age.

Pale malts. Some caramalt. Clean barley. This malty foundation is unobtrusive, but does lend needed body.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Balance is okay; build is underwhelming - with little complexity or subtlety. I'm disappointed; I expected far better. Maybe I got an old bottle? I see "06/20" on the neck, but since I received this in trade I figured it was a bottled-on date. So this is rather fresh, and it's all that great to be honest.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good thickness and body. Good, if slightly overdone carbonation. Good presence on the palate. Lightly soft. Approachable stuff which suits the style well; it's just a shame the flavour profile offers little for the texture to work with.

Dr: I hope this is just a fluke (or maybe an old bottle); I'm quite disappointed and I've enjoyed Short's' beers in the past. I'd like to revisit it fresh on-draught to really verify that it's as mundane as it's coming across now. Drinkable but underwhelming. I was really expecting far better.

High C

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz bottle
Served in an oversized stemless wine glass

This beer is a hazy amber color with golden highlights. It is topped with an inch of off white head that leaves little lacing.

It has a dank, earthy aroma with some cat piss.

The taste is dank, earthy, metallic and bitter. The bitterness overwhelms my palate after half a glass.

Medium mouthfeel

I had heard good things about this beer and was excited to purchase it. The taste and smell just does not agree with my palate. I like juicy IPAs rather than the traditional west coast bitter ones. It kind of reminds me of Ruination by how the bitterness is destroying my palate.

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

Review from 6/28/13

A: Bright gold amber color. Very clear. Small head that faded quickly. No carbonation visible.

S: Citrus rind, grapefruit, some pine, general fruitiness.

T: Some grapefruit, light piney bitterness, juicy fruits.

M: Zero carbonation means this beer feels flat and on the watery side.

O: This would have been so much better with carbonation. Has to be Ann off bottle in some way, but I don't know. Pretty solid otherwise.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Short's Dan's Pink Skirt from Short's Brewing Company