Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short's Raisin Apollo | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Thorpe429 on 05-31-2011

4.45/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a rich orange, absolutely crystal clear, capped by dense, pillowy foam that recedes fast, but leaves nice lacing and a thin layer on top.

S - Nicely sweet, with raisins and some caramel, and a good amount of earthy, dank hops.

T - The hop profile is totally unique, but this might be the first time I've had apollo hops. It's very earthy, with resin, pine, and citrus. The hop profile finishes with plenty of grapefruit pith. The malt is tasty and complex, with a little caramel and raisins (though if I didn't know it was brewed with raisins, I probably couldn't name it). This is unlike any other beer I've had. I like it a lot.

M - Moderately full and sticky. Rather nice.

Overall, I really like this beer, but it's definitely unusual (I could understand how someone wouldn't enjoy it as much). I first had this at the brewpub and was among the positive feedback that spurred them to bottle it. I'm happy to say it's just as good bottled.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

$2.17 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. No specs per the website other than it's 9% ABV, brewed with Apollo hops (duh) and used 6 hop additions over 90minutes. Pours out to a crystal clear burnt orange, forming a small off-white head with poor retention and sparse lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. Has a really nice juicy hop nose of skunkweed and pine. No perceptible off aromas. Mouthfeel is crisp, stinging like a good double IPA should be, and with a near syrupy dense body. The taste also opens with the aforementioned skunkweed and pine, but there is a very subtle and unique taste of chocolate chip cookie dough that lingers in the background. Very interesting, but also very subtle. I wonder if it's Maris otter combined with some of the vanilla overtones that raisins can have. Bitterness is firm, but well balanced by the big malt bill. Raisins flavor, per say, isn't perceptible. I would challenge anyone blinded to tell me it's brewed with raisins. No off-flavors.

This is a heck of a beer. A nice home-run from the brewery compared to some of their other seasonals that I find less appealing. I would definitely buy this again and recommend it to my hophead friends.

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from the bottle into Shorts pint glass. This brew is a nice apricot color with a quarter inch of head that disapates quickly into a thin, tight, off white foam ring.

Smells great! deep dank hops smell like they were rolled in caramel. sweet malt backbone is there w/ fruity sugar. Some tropical fruits I think the raisins are a great touch.

Straight Pine resin, mango, Pinconning cheese in the way back, ultra dry finish w/ a nice malt balance.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Bitter up front w/ dry in the back. leaves you wanting another sip.

Great beer. Cant believe this hasnt become a whale yet. If i didnt know there were raisins in it i would not have known, but i think they really balance out this high alpha hop bomb. highly recommend to hop lovers.

4.09/5  rDev +19.2%

Orangey red-amber. Almost clear. Little to no head, just those DIPA top-twirls. In my big snifter, just a little bit of even bubble action. Nice lacing and legs-- just a little sticky.

Smells great! Big citrus hops- tangerine skin. Very, very fruity, and the golden raisins are very noticeable, too.

A sweet hop heat comes on right away. Some raisin in the taste, overall a lot more subdued than I expected after the smell. Really well-balanced hops, and this is a fresh one. The citrus notes stick around, giving a funny acidity, almost saltiness, to the mouthfeel. The aftertaste is super-sticky, a cool hop dryness that becomes sweet golden raisin with a smack of the tongue. Hop bitterness is carried well through this one, but the smell was leaving me wanting of more sweetness! Whatever, it's quite good, and bitter hops are something I've come to expect from the Short's crew in any PA/IPA/DIPA-type beer of theirs. A strong aftertaste is a stamp of theirs. I like the way the heat, sweet, and bitterness play off of each other here. Dope DIPA, bitter nectar.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Raisin Apollo last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. A DIPA brewed with Raisins peaked my interest so I just had to pick up a couple bottles as soon as hit the stores, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label on this beer for sure sticks out, not a big fan of the almost naked dude, but when you work for Short's and wear a cape you can do whatever the hell you want. It poured a nice slightly hazy caramel amber color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a great looking beer, no complaints here.

S- The aroma starts off with sweet malts that impart some nice grainy, brown bread and caramel aromas. Next comes a big earthy aroma with some slight hints of raisins. The hops are dank, earthy and a little citrusy, a pretty unique hop combination. There aroma is nice and little different from the normal DIPA.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. The first thing that I picked up was the hops which imparted some earthy, dank, and slightly citrus aspects that I picked up in the aroma, these Apollo hops are quite different from the usual hop profile you get in DIPA's. The hops imparted a pretty high amount of bitterness in the middle. Next came some malts that weren't as sweet as they were in the aroma and impart some grain, brown bread, and caramel flavors that combine with some raisin and earthy flavors that come from the golden raisins. This was a good and unique tasting DIPA.

M- A little smooth, a little sticky, dry, on thick side of being medium bodied, and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation that suited this beer nicely. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I don't think there is anything about it I would change.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and a pretty good and unique DIPA that seems to take this style in a different direction that most brewery's dare not tread, I like that. This beer went down smooth but with the high amount of bitterness I think two would be more then enough for me for the night. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and how different this beer turned out with addition of Apollo hops and golden raisins. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of bitterness, I know it's a DIPA and it's suppose to be bitter but it got to be a little too much and if it was toned down a little it would really help the drinkability. I would for sure buy this beer again, I already went back to the store and got two more and I see a couple more in my future before this beer is all sold out for the year. If your tired of the typical heavily citrus hopped DIPA's give this one a try, it takes the style in a different direction that isn't half bad. Once again Short's impressed me and seems like they do what they always do and take the path less traveled and I thought that worked out pretty well, there are more then enough citrusy DIPA's to go around, give me something different and on the other side of the spectrum, and that's exactly what they did, good job guys.

Short's Raisin Apollo from Short's Brewing Company