Kolsch 45 | Short's Brewing Company

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.98/5  rDev +5%

A: The beer is somewhat hazy and light yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured into a stange with a finger high white head that died down and left a bit of lacing on the surface.
S: There are light aromas of bready malts and least in the nose.
T: The beer has flavors of bready and grainy malts. There is a slight amount of bitterness towards the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and quite smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and has some refreshing properties.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

The last of a six pack that i've neglected to review until now. Hazy yellow orange pour into a tulip glass, a brief head of foam appears and ebbs away into a wispy web on the surface.

Yeasty aroma, shortbread sweetness, light orange rind citrus.

Creamy light feel, a crisp bite in the middle, dry bitterness in the aftertaste. Soft grains, light fruitiness of trace bitter orange peel, wondering if that's the twist mentioned on the label. Quenching and sessionable. Overall a nice Kolsch that is subtle and balanced.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 3/21/2014. Pours slightly hazy bright gold color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon, pear, apple, cracker, biscuit, light honey, herbal, straw, grass, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of pale malt, earthy hops, and yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of lemon, pear, apple, cracker, biscuit, light honey, herbal, straw, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light earthy/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, pear, apple, cracker, biscuit, light honey, herbal, straw, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of pale malt, earthy hops, and yeast ester flavors; with a very clean malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly bready mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Kolsch style. All around good robustness and balance of pale malt, earthy hops, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Short's Brewing Co. "Kolsch 45"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, packaged on 07/05/16 and sampled on 09/29/16
$2 @ Wegmans, King Of Prussia, PA

To celebrate my upcoming return to Germany I decided to go with one of my favorite styles, Kolsch. (Haha! I just got the name... Colt 45 / Kolsch 45... cute.) I'm wondering what the "Northern Michigan twist" is though.

Appearance: It's hazier than I'd expect of the style but the color seems right and the head retention is pretty good. The lacing, however, could be better.

Aroma: I get a pleasant malt note and grassy hops in the aroma, along with the requisite yeasty fruitiness. It's hoppier than many examples, so maybe that's the Michigan twist.

Taste: The flavor follows, adding in a bit of sugary malt sweetness and a light hoppy spiciness. I'm even finding some banana, which is a bit odd (I don't think this is normal, I'm guessing that the yeast in this bottle has been up to a little work on its own, probably left for too long in a warm area). Firmly bitter and drying in the end with a lingering hoppy spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body and gently crisp as it should be. Easy across the palate, but with enough zest to garner your attention.

Overall: Once again I feel like I've got a sample that's a little long in the tooth, or 'worn', despite that fact that it's not even three months old yet. Still, I can see what this beer could be on a better day, and I'm pleased. It reminded me of a Kölsch that I had in a tiny restaurant in Berlin, just around the corner from "Trabi World" (I didn't take a Trabant tour, BTW, that's for tourists and I was with family and had a brand new BMW!). I can't recall the name of that beer, I'd never seen it before, and haven't since, but I remember the flavor and aroma. So, perhaps a slight bit sweet, but quite good overall. Nicely done, and massively quaffable!

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a snifter.

Pours a clear golden color with a good, lasting white head. Good retention and a bit of spotty lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward a slight bit of grain plus some slight floral hops. Really good balance between those two. The flavor really nails the grain with light hop flavor and smooth hop bitterness. Light body and good carbonation. Really well done. This rivals COAST's 32/50 as the best Kolsch I've ever had. One day I'll go to Germany and we'll see how they compare to the real stuff.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer appears a golden yellow and pretty clear with a thin white head that leaves random traces of lacing on the snifter. The aroma brings some grain, malty sweetness, and subtle fruit & floral notes. The flavor is quite good, and well balanced. This is one of the better examples of a kolsch I have had, especially from an American brewery. The sweetness is there, but I couldn't see this beer becoming cloying. Nice grain and yeast flavors as well. I could put away a liter stein of this. Well done.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to FlandersNed for this random Shorts offering. Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - White foam settles to a thin collar and a few wisps on top. Hazy peach flesh body.

S - Smells like a Kölsch alright - musty and mildly vinous, with yeasty bread, and toasted cereal grains. Hop presence is minimal, and I'm not sure what the Michigan 'twist' was.

T - Taste is a bit sweeter, with some nice buttered biscuit pilsner malt and vanilla flavors and less overt grain. Hops show up in the finish a bit too.

M - Zesty carbonation, grainy texture, medium body. I can imagine this being quite refreshing on a hot summer day.

D - A nice American-made Kölsch that I'd happily drink again. Seems quite tame for a Short's offering, but based on some of their recent output that may be a good thing.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at Churchkey DC, this beer was truly amazing. One of the best Kolsches I've ever had. I was pleased to find out that it was a hit with others in attendance as well.

Beer is yellow with a mild haze and a thin white head that leaves spotty lacing with mild to moderate carbonation.

Aroma is mildly sweet with this nice yeast / grain mixture that is really appealing.

Wet, thin, watery but all in a good way. This beer is a quencher for sure. I could kill a keg of this stuff. It has a great mildly bitter finish. Mild but appropriate sweetness. Probably one of my favorites from the night.

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Kolsch 45 last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This a newly released beer from Short's and the first time it has been bottled, so lets see how this Kolsch turns out. No visible bottling date, fresh spring release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like name of this beer and the label is good too, it's nicely done and it shows what the number 45 really stands for. It poured a fairly clear straw yellow color that looked more gold when held to the light and it had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a proper looking Kolsch, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and imparts lots of bread and biscuit aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer. Next a get some doughy yeast aromas followed by some light citrus hop aromas. This Kolsch, had a nice aroma with some extra citrus aromas that I don't normally find in this style, I like it.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma and starts off with loads of pale malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart lots of bread and biscuit flavors with the bread flavors sticking out the most. Next I get some slightly doughy yeast that is followed by a pretty light amount of citrusy hops that impart a very light citrus flavor. Towards the end I get more bread flavors with a light amount of bitterness on the finish and a very bready and grainy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Kolsch that was just a little different with the light citrus hops addition, I like it.

M- Very smooth, crisp,on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. There was nothing off with the mouthfeel, it worked nicely with this beer and was true to style.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, this beer had just about everything that this style is known for with just a slight twist to let you know that this is a Short's brew. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth and refreshing, with enough flavor to hold my attention, I could see drinking a bunch of these on a hot summer day, a good warm weather beer just as the style intends. What I liked most about this beer was that is was very well rounded and pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, but I do wish this beer wasn't so limited, my local beer store only got two cases that's not a lot when it comes to this style of beer. I would buy this beer again if there's any left when I go back, it's six pack worthy, but with it being so limited it will not last, I recommend this beer to anyone, just a clean, tasty, drinkable beer. Short's did a great job with this beer and they kept it pretty traditional but I did enjoy the slight citrus aspect that you don't normally get in this style, it was a nice addition to this beer and it worked well with the other flavors. This is now my favorite Kolsch, it was New Hollands Full Circle, but I find this beer to be slightly better. I am glad you guys decided to bottle this beer and I hope to see more of it next summer, good job guys this is another solid brew from one of my favorite brewery's.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled 5/16/12; into a pint glass

A - Pours light yellow/golden brown with ine finger of white head. Head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - White grapes, light bread malts and some subtle earthy hops. A faint sweetness. Pretty striaghtforward, but quite nice.

T - Nice crisp taste, with an herbal hop bitterness throughout. Quite vinious, with white bread malrs. Very tasty. Lingering earthiness. Hops also have a nice spiciness.

M - Light, crisp mouthfeel with a nice earthy bitterness througout.

O - Excellent brew for a warm summer day. I'm not a Kolsch expert, but this seems relatively true to style with a bit morebl bitterness, which seems like a Short's hallmark. Also, Short's lists this at 5.5% abv, which seems right as I don't get any prominent alcohol from this.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a yellow-straw color, cloudy and translucent with a wispy white head that hangs around for a few seconds before it fizzles away forever. Some spot lacing left from the white ring that settles on the circumference of the glass. Aroma is mellow but pleasing to the senses - noticeable graininess and strong yeast in the form of sweet bread. Musty and floral hops, along with some faint citrus and lemon zest, and maybe some other fruits, erring on the "peel" and "rind" side of things. Overall a pretty low-key aroma, soft and delicate, but good nonetheless.

Has a "lager-like" taste to it, both from the crispy effect it has on the palate as well as the clean flavor I'm getting from the yeast. Mild grains, sweet bready malt, light citrus zest, white grape skins, and a moderately floral and musky hop presence. Light bodied and on the heavier side with carbonation - easily drinkable from start to finish. Aftertaste is full of light yeast and grains, with a bit of dying fruit skins and Noble-like hops. This one went down the gullet pretty quickly.

Super-drinkable and light, although this suffers a bit from being just a tad uninteresting by the time you reach the second half of the beer. Nice example of the style and overall very enjoyable for what it is, no doubt.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

L - This beer pours golden and crystal clear. It is topped with a couple inches of eggshell head that loves some lacing as it recedes.

S - The smell has some milled grain characteristics. I also get a little lemongrass.

T - The taste features more of the lemongrass. There is a grain taste with a slightly bitter metallic finish.

M - Smooth and creamy.

O - Kölsch beers are not my favorite style. This is a decent beer. Reminds me of the old rust belt lagers of the 1970's with a little more flavor.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single at Butch's Dry Dock in Holland, MI

A - poured a very light, clear golden yellow and lacking a head

S - nose is grainy malts with some spicy hops

A - opens up with the sweet, grain malt flavors that hold strong throughout most of the beer. On the end, a little bit of citrus and spicy hops round it off. Not the most complex beer out there, but then again this isn't a style that is supposed to be.

M - mouth is a little watery with a good amount of carbonation on the back end

D - this is a pretty good Kolsch. Not as refreshing as others I have in this style, but pretty good to drink on this 94 degree day.

2.74/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz can. Pours slightly hazy yellow gold with a medium creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet bready bubblegum malts with some noble hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with a touch of fruit and some peppery grassy hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, just OK.