Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short's Bananarama | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by drabmuh on 06-03-2011

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

3.13/5  rDev +13%

Growler from Short's pub. This a dark brown color. Smell is sweet with hints of butter, cream, pecans, and very ripe bananas. Taste is a boozy mix of bananas, rum, and nuts. It is an interesting experiment but not one of my favorites of Short's creations.

3.38/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A dark blackish brown beer with a thin head and some lacing with minimal carbonation. It had a banana and cloves and molasses nose to it. The taste was very sweet with molasses and had some banana and cloves in the taste.Also this beer had a strong alcohol taste in it. It reminded me a little bit of a dark rum. The mouthfeel was very sticky and ends up being on the dry side. This was not a terrible beer, but not a great beer either. An above average beer to put up with a "cruel summer".

1.33/5  rDev -52%

Quite possibly one of the foulest creations to ever hit my palate.

I had this on tap at Churchkey.

A: I totally wasn't expecting a beer with banana in the title to be: Burnt Sienna brown, with a bit of light passing around the edges... but not much. The 1/2 finger or so head stayed afloat throughout the session.

S: Overly ripe (several years old even) banana, with brown sugar, and a huge vat of water bounced off of a dirty dish in a foul sink.

T: Same as the smell, only more amplified. Was this skunked? Do people actually drink this stuff? The banana flavor was infused with mold and the whole concoction had a garbage can-like consistency.

M: Low carbonation, low drinkability, low taste, low everything! Lacing? Who cares...

O: I think I've said it all now. I'm not sure what Short's was going for with this brew, but it certainly wasn't aimed at me.

2.51/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer appears dark brown, with subtle sunburst ruby highlights. The head is thin and wispy, falling away to virtually nothing.

The aroma brings more booze than anything else, with some bananas soaked in rum, and ample sweetness.

Wow, sweet booze. This is not necessarily terrible, per se, but Ugh
! I just can't handle more than a few drinks of this in your face, sweet, fruity booze.

Overall, this one missed the mark. While interesting, it's just not drinkable or enjoyable.

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks, glazeman, for picking up this growler.

The appearance is a ruby red with no head - now I'm not sure if that's just the nature of this beer or if it's because we've been sitting on this growler for a week.

I get a little bit of banana in the smell, but more than anything else I just get that typical brown ale smell that is all too common in many Shorts beers.

Taste is mainly booze with a little bit of caramel, carrot, and banana. Sort of strange, but fun.

Overall this is an interesting beer, like most Shorts offerings - it's a fun beer, and you always have to applaud the efforts of Shorts; however, it's just not that great of a beer. Carrot Cake was much better.

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

A banana rum themed beer made w/ bananas and molasses. Beer is reddish / copper with a thin lazy head of nothing, low carbonation, some lacing some how. Looks like you might expect a fruit beer to look.

The aroma is mildly sweet but has this mildly offensive flavor in there that I can't really describe. I guess it smells OK. Lots of alcohol though.

Harsh, cooked corn and wet dog on a dry finish with a light body. Rough rough rough. This beer is also super hot and really sweet at the get go. I don't know what yeast was used ni this beer but I fear it is a miss. Maybe it will mellow out and find its happy place but this was a drain pour for me. Sorry shorts.

Short's Bananarama from Short's Brewing Company