Prolonged Enjoyment | Short's Brewing Company

Prolonged EnjoymentProlonged Enjoyment

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Session India Pale Ale.

Added by oline73 on 09-08-2011

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%

Cloudy cream sickle comes to mind... Small one-finger foamy head.

Earthy, grassy, mild hops. Much of a light pale ale...

Missing a ton of rounded deep flavors... Grassy, too many grains, thin, too light, awkward bitterness with weird wetness, flavors don't develop for me... Ekkk, too much carbonation!!

This one falls far short of where Shorts typically lies. Can't recommend for anything more than a sessionable ale. The bitterness and untied hops ruin it for me.

2.54/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks to tectactoe for sending me a box brimming full of Short's goodness. It's been over a year before I picked up a bunch of Short's - it's always a pleasure to have these bottles in the fridge. 12 oz. bottle, one for me, one for my wife. Who just had ice cream. Warning, kids: dont mix the two.

Pour is the color of summertime, a muted, opaque orange. Lovely bouquet, like an orange being stuff up your nose, without having to sneeze/blow it back out, plus a sugar-coated sweetness.

Prolonged Enjoyment should be a scratch & sniff beer; the taste falls long kilometers short of the nose. Huge inoculation of pale malts whacks the tongue, along with a surprisingly bitter back-hand. The orange in the nose becomes something less pleasing, with an acidic, almost tart edge that doesn't meld well with the following sweetness, malts & bitterness. A session beer that's one-and-done.

Nicely complex for a small-bore beer, but the taste just don't play nicely together, & as it warms, the weird edge become more pronounced. A rare whiff for this brewery, says my palate, not a good beer.

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Smells and tastes dank of clothing. The citrus is ok at first but there is not enough malt backbone. It's too bitter. If you want a decent session IPA, try Norm's Gateway, or better yet, North Peak's Wanderer.

2.97/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

"Session India Pale Ale." 12 fl oz bottle with branded white pressure cap and clever label served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stemtulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired from the very generous surlytheduff in a trade; I received my box today. Thanks again, buddy! Expectations are high; I've heard great things about Short's. I'm reviewing this as an IPA because that's what the brewery/label identifies it as.

Served cold, straight from a cooler. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head of slight cream and average (~2 minute) retention. Disappointingly thin. Lacing is light and even. Body colour is a somewhat hazy nontransparent pale copper. Murky yet translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Typical of an IPA, but there's nothing unique or special here and I'm a bit disappointed in the head - especially considering the low ABV. No egregious flaws, though. I'm optimistic.

Sm: Oily and floral as all hell. Lightly nectary. Grapefruit punches through heavily. Dank citrusy oily notes. Light pine. Oily hop character is dominant here; I like that. An impressive aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Pale malts. Grains. I'm really looking forward to trying it.

T: Oily and floral. Fairly hefty grapefruit citrus bite - a dominant note here. A blip of hop bitterness on the climax and then it reverts to its default oily hop-meets-pale malt body. Some graininess rounds it out nicely. Fairly piney. The hop selection here is interesting; it's not exactly my preferred flavour profile for an IPA but it's nice for what it is. I can see where if you were in love with the hop varietals used this would float your boat, but I'm a columbus and amarillo man. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Regardless of what you make of the hop choices alone, the sheer quantity of flavour in this beer cannot be ignored - especially for such a low ABV, seemingly innocuous brew. The balance isn't ideal - again, that bitterness does creep in - but it's pretty well pulled off. I like it for what it is.

Mf: Smooth, wet, oily as hell. Overcarbonated. Decent presence on the palate. Good body. Suits the flavour profile generally well. Not at all weak. Good thickness.

Dr: It succeeds in its aims; it's a sessionable IPA packed with flavour. And while I like it in a general sense, I doubt I'd get it again. I chalk this up to personal hop preference. But it does get me really eager to try more Short's beers; this one justifies their reputation - even if it's not quite oriented towards my own personal preferences. A tasty brew from Short's that tests the boundaries of how much flavour can be packed into a small beer. Every fan of the style should give this one a go.

Constructively, if we put aside appreciation for what it's doing as a small/low ABV beer specifically, it comes off as rather average for the style. I doubt praise would be as high as it is if it weren't tempered by the understanding that this is meant to be a sessionable brew. There are bigger bolder IPAs that clobber this one in terms of a 1v1 comparison. I review beer on an individual basis, not 6 pack to 6 pack. I appreciate this one for what it is, but the fact remains - it's merely average for an IPA when compared against all other IPAs irrespective of sessionability.

High C