Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by jale on 12-13-2011

4.1/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled in 10/2013. Pours moderately hazy bright orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big pineapple, peach, guava, pear, tangerine, lemon zest, citrus rind, clove, pepper, floral, grass, bread, light banana, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop, malt, and yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of peach, tangerine, pineapple, pear, guava, lemon zest, citrus rind, clove, pepper, floral, grass, pine, light banana, light bubblegum, bread, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of earthy pine/floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, guava, clove, pepper, light banana, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of hop, yeast, and malt flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly slick, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Belgian IPA. All around great balance and complexity of hop, malt, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Golden orange body. Fleeting but nice white head. Thin collar.

Smell - Citrusy hops. Belgian yeast and sweetness. A little phenolic.

Taste - Much maltier. Grapefruit hop. Sweet pale malts. Super bitter in the back.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Very bitter.

Overall - Very bitter, but good.

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle opened up by Doug. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 10/31/2013.

Pours a hazy orange-copper body, not much of a white head, dissipates fairly quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells like a giant onion and garlic bomb. I really didn't get all the references to onions in IPAs, but this is the first beer that reminds me so much of raw onions. Not much malt sweetness in the background.

Also tastes like a massive onion bomb. No complexity here, not much else. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation. Aftertaste is mostly raw onions.

I absolutely did not care for it. Doug and I agreed that this beer was a drainpour, and acted accordingly.

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle as part of a free beer contest. Thanks man! Pours hazy orange with a very small ring of white creamy head. Aroma of oranges, grapefruits, mango, pineapple, and a hint of Belgian yeast in the background. Smells very sweet. Vegetal raw hops are the first thing you taste, yummy. Flavor is sweet orange rinds, some light grapefruit and mango, and interesting dry Belgian yeast finish, and then lingering orange rinds and grapefruit left on the palate for a good while. Bitterness is very present on the way down, nearly puckering. Big, heavy, and slick with medium carbonation. This is pretty unique and very nice.

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer when I first visited Short's back in October of last year, I was really impressed with this beer and I was really happy to see it on the release schedule this year, it was my most anticipated new beer that Shorts is releasing this year and I thought this would be a fitting beer to have for my 700th review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's really fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks really nice, I think it's very eye catching, the Space Invader inspired label really caught my eye and I think it's pretty well done. It poured a poured a nice darker orange color that took on some nice orange/amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, all the aspects were pretty good and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that impart some nice citrus hop aromas withe grapefruit, orange juice and some pineapple aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes a slight bit of malts that impart a doughy aroma with just the right amount of Belgian yeast that imparts some nice spicy aromas with a nice bubblegum aroma sticking out the most and working really well with the hop profile. I really liked the aroma of this beer it was full of bright citrus hops and the Belgian yeast worked out very nicely.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops upfront that impart a great citrus hop flavor with all the citrus hop aspects that I got in the aroma coming through nicely, Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and impart a nice clean bready malt flavor. Towards the end comes the Belgian yeast which impart some spicy yeast flavors with a nice bubblegum flavor seeming to stick out the most and it worked nicely with the hop profile. The hops impart a medium amount of bitterness with a nice citrus hop and Belgian yeast aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer the hops work very well with the Belgian yeast and the malts show up just enough.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked pretty well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and very good example of the style, it had everything that I look for in the style and it all came together very well with some great balance. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and It kept me coming back for more, I could see myself being pretty happy drinking a few of these and I think this would be a great summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both very good and I couldn't stop smelling and tasting it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there's not a single thing that I didn't like or would change, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, I bought my limit of three and if there's any left next time I go to the beer store I'm sure I will get my limit again and I will for sure be getting it when they release it again next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or anybody who likes hoppy beers in general. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it was just as good as I remember and so far I think it's my favorite of the style, I like it a little more than Brewery Vivant's Trebuchet, I like the hop profile in this beer just a little more. This made for a great 700th review, it was a nice treat to celebrate this milestone with such a great beer. When I was at Shorts I told the bartender that I really think they should bottle it and apparently I wasn't the only one since my wish came true. Thanks a lot for continuing to give the good people from Michigan exactly what they want, there's no doubt Short's is my favorite brewery, keep up the good work guys.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Lots of Belgian notes, wheat, banana, clove, grass, followed with nice floral hops.

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

thanks again to Dan... low carbonation.... sweet, Belgian-type hop bitterness. relatively easy to drink; easy for the abv. nothing really special but the typical expected flavor and quite ordinary for the style.....

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%