Wowee Zowee | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by madeofsteel on 06-25-2012

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/8/2014. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a 2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big mango, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, mint, honey, bread, light pine, herbal, floral, grass, and herbal earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of pale malt, mango, mint, and citrus hop notes; with good strength. Taste of mango, tangerine, lemon zest, orange zest, light pine, mint, honey, bread, herbal, floral, grass, and herbal earthiness. Light pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of mango, tangerine, lemon/orange zest, mint, light pine, honey, bread, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and robustness of pale malt, mango, mint, and citrus hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately crisp, and lightly creamy/bready moutfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice fruited blonde ale. All around good balance and robustness of pale malt, mango, mint, and citrus hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. The mint flavor had good presence that came off as a earthy/cooling flavor. A very enjoyable offering.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

I picked up a bottle of Shorts Wowee Zowee last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile now and I'm really interested to see how the combination of mangos and mint in a beer will work, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Shorts imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks really nice and it goes great with the beer, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange hue when held to the light with a finger and half of tiny bubbled and slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the mangos being the first to show up and they impart a nice fresh, natural and juicy mango aroma that goes right into the malts which impart some lightly toasted, bready and bread crust like aromas with just a little bit of sweet malts showing up in the background along with a slight amount of doughy yeast. Up next comes the the mint, it for sure is noticeable and it makes for a pretty unqiue aroma when combined with the mangos. This beer had a really nice and unique aroma, both of the main ingredients were represented nicely.

T- The taste seems to be similar the aroma and a little lighter, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with mango being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but they are lighter and not as juicy, Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, this time they seem to be a little more bready with a little more of that doughy aspect coming through along with a nice creamy flavor. Up next comes the hops which impart a citrus hop flavor and it's quickly followed by the mint that imparts a somewhat lighter natural mint flavor with a little more herbal aspects to go with it. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of medium bitterness with a fruity citrus, bready malt and mint like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it stayed true to it's description and I liked the unique combo of the mint and mango.

M- Smooth, a little complex, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that suited nicely.

Overall I thought this was a good and very unique beer, I didn't think it was the best example of a Golden Ale simply because the malts had more of a malty Altbier like flavor to them, but as an experimental beer and as a fruity and herbal beer I would say that it's fits in those categories nicely. What I liked the most about this beer was just how unique it was, in typical Shorts fashion the main ingredients stuck out and were represented nicely, plus they worked strangely well together. What I liked the least about this beer was that the mango weren't as juicy in the taste as it was in the aroma, but in the end that wasn't big of a deal. I would for sure buy this beer again, if I see anymore left on the shelf I'll make sure to grab it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes unique beers, I know I haven't tasted anything like this before. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, at first the idea of mango and mint being brewed in a beer didn't sound like the best idea to me, but Shorts worked their magic and created a good beer that was a unique experience. It isn't my favorite Shorts brew, but it is one of the better experimental beers I've had from them and I think it's just a good example of that. Good job guys, this was one tasty and unique beer, keep up the hard work. I hope this one returns in the summer next year. This beer marks the 100th different Shorts beer that I've tried, I know that's the most different beers I've tried from one brewery, that's made possible only because Shorts is the king of variety when it comes to craft beers.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Tastes like a lighter pale ale with fruit notes to it. Good beer, just nothing staands out to make it exceptional.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. beer
Served in a pint glass

L - It pours a hazy orange/yellow color. It has an inch of off-white head that leaves some lacing.

S - I got the mango right off the bat. The mint came through as it warmed a bit. The is citrus as well. Grapefruit mixes in there.

T - The taste has some mild citrus that builds as I consume. The mango is there. I have to search for the mint. I get hints from time to time.

F - Moderate

O - This is a pretty good beer. The citrus and mango bring a feeling of summer to a arctic winter evening. This would be great to have in the summer. There is just enough citrus to make me want another drink as soon as I swallow.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wowee Zowee from Short's Brewing Company