Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Gingersnap | Short's Brewing Company

Style: English Brown Ale

Dark English Brown Ale brewed with ginger, cinnamon, and molasses

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/24/2013. Pours nearly opaque dark brown color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of huge ginger root, cinnamon, molasses, toast, biscuit, nutmeg, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Decent aromas with some solid complexity and good strength; but has way too much ginger going on. Taste of ginger, molasses, toast, biscuit, toffee, cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg, light roast, herbal, and toasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of ginger, molasses, toast, biscuit, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa, light roast, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and robustness of spices and dark malt flavors; with a good malt/spice balance and minimal cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, slick, and lightly chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a solid spiced brown ale. Good robustness and solid balance of spice and malt flavors; and smooth to sip on for the ABV. A fairly enjoyable offering.

3.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - This beer pours a ruddy brown with an inch of tan head.

S - The smell is a jumble of aromas. The ginger is apparent. I get some indiscernible spices, too.

T - I get some ginger, clove, and cinnamon. I can taste a little molasses, as well.

M - Moderate

O - I was thinking this would taste more like gingerbread. It is in the vicinity. It is a ginger beer with some roasted characteristics. I was hoping that it would be better.

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

No bottling date... got rubbed out at some point.

Appearance: Ruby brown. Perfect clarity. Short lived head with little lacing.

Smell: Spicy, as you'd expect. Huge amounts of ginger and cinnamon. Pleasing, if you like a lot of spices. That's really all that's there.

Taste: Cinnamon and nutmeg... heavy cinnamon and nutmeg -- burns the throat slightly. Seriously, that's what it tastes like. Not much else there. The molasses sweetness is noticeable near the finish, but that's the last of what you get. A touch of darker malts on the finish as well, but hardly. Those spices linger long after each sip, by the way. The thing about this beer that I think could easily turn someone off to it is, besides the heavy spicing, it's a sweet beer. Not syrupy thick or sweet, but the molasses definitely makes this a sweet beer. 7.8%, the alcohol is *sort of* there with a warming effect, but I would have guessed 6%.

Feel: Medium/low thickness with a pretty high carbonation. Makes the spicing feel even more harsh.

Not bad. Actually, pretty decent... if you can handle a one dimensional beer that's super heavy on cinnamon and ginger. This makes for a pretty tasty seasonal beer, but I couldn't see myself having more than a single bottle in a sitting... it just gets too overwhelming. I'd consider this a "spice beer" rather than an "english brown." I finished it all, but I had enough after about 3/4 of the beer.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Short's Gingersnap in their new variety 12 pack a couple weeks ago for $18.99 at Meijers. I tried this beer before when I visited Short's last winter, I liked it but I thought it was a little over spiced and I'm interested to see how the first bottled release of this beer is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but the new variety pack showed up recently, so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label nice, it fits the beer well and it's a little different looking label for Shorts. It poured a nice dark brown color that didn't really let any light come through with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left behind lots of sticky lacing behind. This is the a very good looking beer, the head retention and lacing are better than most Short's beers.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a very molasses and blackstrap like aroma to it with a good amount of spices up that front impart some ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon like aromas with the ginger sticking out the most imparting an earthy fresh ginger rhizome like aroma. Up next comes the malts which are a little overpowered by the spices and impart a nutty and toasted malt like aroma. The aroma is pretty nice and it reminds me of a big chunk of ginger bread cookie dough.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a slight molasses like aroma to it and it's followed by some spices which impart a very light cinnamon flavor with that fresh, earthy, and spicy ginger aspect that I got in the aroma seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a light metallic flavor followed by a noticeable alcohol flavor. On the finish there's some lightly nutty and toasted malt flavors with pretty much no bitterness with that alcohol flavor taking it's place with a ginger and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that wasn't overly spiced, but I thought the alcohol could have been hidden better and the metallic flavor was not needed.

M- Not the smoothest. a little boozy,slightly sticky, a little creamy, pretty rich. on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, I wish it was smoother, but the lower amount of medium carbonation works great with this beer.

Overall I thought this a nice beer and nice example of a ginger bread themed beer, it isn't too recognizable as an English Brown Ale, but once it warms up I started to get some of that toasted malt base with some light nutty flavors. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it isn't the smoothest, it's a little boozy and a little filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention so i think one would be enough for me since I think it would start to wear on me if I drank multiples. This make for a great holiday time beer and it's perfect for the winter and late fall season. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they both worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the metallic flavor and the noticeable alcohol flavors, i think the alcohol could have been hidden better. I would get a couple bottles of these if they release it next year, but it isn't something I'm going to really anticipate or buy a six pack of, but it seems to fit in nicely with this variety pack and I put one in the cellar as an experiment to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes ginger beers. All in all I liked this beer, but I think there's room for improvement and it's got a few aspects that make it a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty enjoyable on a cold and slightly snowy day. I thought this variety pack, the third different one released by shorts, was the best of the three with Black Diamond and Mystery Stout being by my favorite and I'm glad they threw in some of their higher abc beers in this variety pack. I thought the spices weren't as overwhelming as they were when I first i had it but, i don't know if wasn't boozy and slight metallic or if the spices just covered it up at the time. Solid work guys, it's nice to see more pub only beers make their way into these variety packs, keep up the good work.

Gingersnap from Short's Brewing Company