Short's Beard Of Zeus India Style Pale Lager | Short's Brewing Company

good
Short's Beard Of Zeus India Style Pale LagerShort's Beard Of Zeus India Style Pale Lager

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Lager

A super hopped American pale lager brewed exclusively with Zeus hops. The wet green dank aroma of the Zeus hops pour out of this beer with sweet hints of orange. Pleasant resiny hop essence dominate the flavor profile transitioning quickly to a bold bitterness that seems amplified due to the light clean lager finish

Added by TheBrewo on 05-15-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 32 | Ratings: 233

I picked up a bottle of Short's Beard Of Zeus last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time Short's has bottled this beer, they call it an India Pale Lager. Shorts has been brewing some great hoppy beers this year and i'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just came out, so its pretty fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label, it kind of looks like Zeus is puckering his lips, but other then that I think it looks pretty nice and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a fairly hazy golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I don't have any complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some citrus rind aromas that seem to stick out a lot. Up next comes a nice mixture of hops aromas, i get some piney, grapefruit and some lighter pineapple aromas in the background. Up next comes some nice grainy and bready malts that impart some nice balance and there is also a light pepper like aroma. The aroma was good, it's very IPA like with some lighter lager aromas in the background.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off the same with some citrus zest flavors followed by lots of hops that impart a medium amount of higher bitterness with some piney, grapefruit, and slight citrus hop flavors. Up next comes a pretty spicy flavor with white pepper sticking out the most with some grainy, bready and lager yeast like flavors on the finish with a bitter, piney and slight citrus hop like aroma. This beer tastes good it has some decent balance, but I still thought it was more IPA then Lager, but in the end it tasted nice.

M- A little smooth, a little crisp, clean, on the fuller side of being lighter bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had some nice aspects of both styles and while it wasn't as balanced as I would like I still found it to be a pretty enjoyable beer and I thought the orange rind worked pretty will with this beer. It had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think the bitterness is a little too high for me to a drink a few of these, one or two would be the perfect amount. What I liked the most about this beer was the orange rind addition, it wasn't overpowering and it blended well with the other flavors and aromas. What I liked the least about this beer was the higher amount of bitterness, if it was toned down some it would really help the drinkability and make it more session able, and that's the way I feel most Lagers should be. I might have bought a couple more but I'm sure they are all gone by now and the store had a 3 bottle limit, so I got the limit, I would check it out again if they decide to release it again and I recommend this to anyone who likes hoppy Lagers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was a nice example of a hoppy lager, and while it was a little rough around the edges it was still pretty enjoyable. I still think I like a Shift a little more than this one, but it's still a very solid beer. Good job Short's you guys are really raising the bar when it comes to hoppy Michigan made beers.

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle poured into a Pilsener glass.

A- 2-finger, pillowy, white head. Slightly hazed, golden-straw body with moderate carbonation. Great retention at 1/4-finger, a little swirl coaxes more. Awesome stick, I'm a sucker for lace.

S- Hmmm. Very IPA-esque. Lots of citrus zest (orange with some lemon or grapefruit). Some pineapple. Light crackery malts.

T- Lots of citrus zest, almost pithy. Grapefruit. More sips and I get a lot of grainy malts. If the alternative is an American Pale Lager, cool, but I don't know. It doesn't really come together.

M- Medium-light feel, verging on thin. A little grainy, all the same.

O- I don't know. These hoppy, "session" beers don't seem to cut it. I love the idea of a session. Give me a malty English mild and I'm good. The hoppy versions don't deliver for me. It's kind of like some friends's first go at all-grain brewing many years ago. It came out like a hop-tea. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad (I'd score lower if that was the case), but I just don't get the new trend of hoppy, low ABV. At the pricing point, give me a Huma Lupa and call it good. The high hops need a better malt base in my estimation.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Beard of Zeus pours a somewhat hazy, golden-amber color. When held in dimmer places, it appears as more of a burnt orange color. The head is big-bubbled, soapy, and foamy, though it shows decent retention and leaves nice patches of lacing along the side of the glass. A good amount of yeast is left at the bottom of the bottle after pouring, too.

The aroma is pretty damn nice. A quick jolt of heavy citrus and pine to the senses; pineapple, grapefruit peels, pine needles, hop oils, heavy orange zest, white pepper. I can't decide if the hop bill is more on the citrus side or more on the pine-y side, but maybe that's what makes it so great - excellent balance. There's really no mention of malt or yeast, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think this was an IPA from the aroma. I was kind of hoping for a crisp lager-yeast smell, but it just gets buried under the large (albeit, very nice) hop aromas.

A quite abrasive and brash bitterness invades all corners of the palate after taking the first sip - much more assertive than I was expecting, though it's not a bad thing. After the initial bitterness mellows out, the flavors start to unravel; pines, hop oils, ashy white pepper, grapefruit rind remnants, pineapple, and the coup de grace - the oranges. Though the label says that this was brewed with only orange rind, it gives off a much more lively and "juicy" orange flavor that really gets amplified with each successive sip.

The mouth on this one is a bit thin and watery, but it's carbonated well and has a nice, crisp, refreshing snap on the tongue and couples well with the flavors. The finish is very clean, also, with a nice fruitiness that resembles orange, lemon, and grapefruit, somewhat akin to a heap of Fruity Pebbles. The bitterness still resonates deep into the aftertaste and on your palate long after the beer is gone.

If it weren't for the label's explicit citation that this was an "India Pale Lager" , you'd think it was an IPA. One must ask the question - why make an IPL? One of my favorite things about lagers are the beautiful and distinct flavors you get from the yeast, all of which are buried by hops in an IPL. Nevertheless, this beer was tasty and drinkable as all hell, so whether it be an ale or a lager, it's still good. I'm just missing the point, I guess.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a pale, almost translucent amber. Small amount of creamy white head.

Smell is dominated by earthy and citrus flavors from the hops. Very powerful.

Taste is similar, but extremely bitter. The orange flavor is not as prominent as I expected, and I think it is a bit overwhelmed by the hoppy bitterness. Still, very refreshing.

Mouthfeel is light to medium-bodied and dominated by the bitterness from the hops.

Overall a fascinating beer - the combination of styles is a great idea, although I feel the IPA is maybe a bit too dominant in this partnership.

3.87/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 5/3/13 and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on 5/17/13.

Appearance: A very hazy yellow with about two fingers of a pretty creamy looking head. Dies down to one, and eventually a film. Lacing is very nice on it.

Smell: Orange, piney hops, and not much else -- not that I mind. Very nice.

Taste/feel: Eek. Alright, so this beer smelled great, so I was expecting a world-class sort of <5% ABV beer... hopes too high. Beard of Zeus is just tragically unbalanced. While there's actually a noticeable malt profile in this beer (unlike what I got in Hopstache), it doesn't seem to create much balance at all. Also much like Hopstache, Beard of Zeus is bitter from (mostly) beginning to end, and it lingers. I think this beer feels and drinks better than Hopstache (different styles of beer, I know... but I can't help but compare), but it's really unbalanced. I do love the aroma, look, and feel of this, but there's not enough malt to cut the hop bitterness... much too bitter, at least at first, to be considered "refreshing", as well. On the plus side, once the beer warms up a bit, the malt flavor comes through a little bit more to cut some bitterness away. Additionally, the orange tastes seem to burst a bit more. This tastes much better after being out of the fridge for about 10-15 minutes... almost like an entirely different beer.

Regardless of all of the negatives, definitely one of the better sub-5% ABV beers that I've ever tasted.

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Amber/ orange like an IPA, but crisp and clear like a pilsner.

Smell: Like a hoppy orange. A very pleasant aroma if I do say so myself.

Taste: Very refreshing. I could drink this all day. Short's did a very good job in combining flavors from an IPA and pilsner. They captured the best of both styles. The added orange zest compliments the flavors well and adds to this already refreshing beer.

Overall: Very good and unique. Short's does it again - An excellent example of how a brewery can think outside of the box and pull it off.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

We crack the tops and pour a brew of pale copper coloring into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It holds a creamy two finger head of eggshell colored bubbles, showing nice retention, and leaving sticky, cratered lacing around the glass. No haze or sediment is noted, with clarity sitting quite high until the dregs of the bottle give the lightest haze. Carbonation appears to be active. The aroma is fresh and zesty, with your standard pale malts, rusty metallics, freshly pulled bean sprouts, green strawberries, tangerine flesh, bittered citric rind, light lactics, and chalky zing of Smarties candy. The hops come to meet with big juicy grassiness and simultaneously contrasting dirty, drying earthiness. Our first impression is that the hops afford great bitterness, exhibiting all of the flavors hoped for from the nose, while blending nicely with the softer grain bill. As we sip, the flavoring opens with big citric orange bitterness, baker’s yeast, lightly nectary and grassy hop bite, lightly toasted pale and pilsner malts, sweet tangerine juiciness, and root vegetable bitterness. These blend, coming to a peak of tinny metallics, lactic acidity, pale grain, and a flash of honey sweetness before that drying, muddy, vegetal quality and the earthy hops pull us to the end. This finishing wash comes with most of the punch of the grain, with graphite, cardboard, solidly pale malt bitters, faint wheatiness, and raw barley. Again, to meet are green resiny plant stems, dandelion leaves, copper, and heavily bittering grassy, earthy, and floral hops. The aftertaste breathes of lemon hand wipes, biting citric rind, mustard greens, black pepper, white flour, mineral, basement dustiness, bitter grassy hops, crispy autumn leaves, and the faintest echo of sweet alcohol. The body is light to medium, and the carbonation bubbles at a medium. Each sip gives great slurp, smack, and pop, with surprisingly nice creaminess and frothiness to boot. The mouth is left wet and coated, with eventual astringent dryness down the tongue and hard palate. The abv is sessionable, and the beer drinks very easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its aroma, its feel, and its drinkability. The nose started juicy, nicely hopped, and well balanced. Sweetness mixed in, as well as bittered fruitiness, for a very organic feeling blend. The flavoring followed nicely, giving quite the kick between the bitterness of the pale and more metallic pilsner maltiness and the dirty, earthy, and grassy hops. The feel, again, was beautifully surprising, giving much more softness, cream, and slurp than would be expected for the style. This is a fantastic beer from a great local brewery, and definitely one to keep you sipping by the pool all summer’s day long.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last