Copacetic IPA | Amnesia Brewing

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

They closed the Portland Amnesia taproom and that was a very sad day for me. I have had Copacetic more times than I can remember. This was my go-to pint for a few years. It's an unfiltered IPA which is not everyone's favorite, I know, but the extra bit of yeastiness that gets caught in the aroma is absolutely worth the cloudiness to me. Actually, I even like the cloudiness. Sitting on the patio at one of the picnic tables at Amnesia, drinking a Copacetic… pretty close to heaven for me.

Reviewing this from the taproom before it closed. Poured into a traditional pint glass.

The appearance is straw-colored, only slightly pale yellow with a bit of darkness. It's cloudy and translucent with lots of wort still swimming around in there. The head isn't big - a few centimeters or so and it's pale, nearly white.

The smell is a fantastic lighter-than-typical NW IPA hop hit with pine and grapefruit. There may be a bit of other citrus in there: lemon or meyer lemon.

The taste is remarkably balanced for a Northwest IPA. I still get some of the yeastiness in it and the hops are present but not overwhelming. The bitterness is light for an IPA. Those who want a full punch-in-the-face IPA will not be too into this one. Folks who appreciate balanced IPAs should definitely try Copacetic.

My only complaint is that over the years and countless pints of this that I've put away, I've found it to be inconsistent. I've liked Amnesia's beers in general but one visit is not the same as the next. I'm still super disappointed that they closed their Portland location. Washougal isn't that far away, but it seems like it, and they don't distribute bottles. Boo!

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Served from tap at Amnesia brewery.

A very impressive IPA that is not over the top as one would expect from most Portland breweries. The beer pours slightly hazy light copper with a decent amount of head. The nose is fresh with citrus and mild hops and pine present. The taste follows up the nose nicely with lots of citrus and mild hops. The lovely part of this beer is the presence of quality hops without an overly astringent and tannic note (that I do like sometimes). The finish is long and pleasant.

Overall a good but mild and subtle IPA. It reminds me of the Fort George Vortex in many ways.

Worthy!

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a luscious, somewhat hazy honey golden with a fairly thick pale orangy-tan head. Aroma is quite evergreen, promising a superior IPA. Flavor is strongly hoppy yet minimally bitter and slightly sweet, with some sour citrus hints. Texture is quite fizzy, leaving behind a nice hoppy tingle.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Bailey's Taproom, recommended by the ever knowledgeable barkeep supreme Michael O., $4.50 for imperial pint poured into nonic glass, 7.2.11.

Cloudy orangish amber body, no visible carbonation, one finger semi-rocky head, medium-slow dissipation with above average lacing. Nice nose, pronounced citrus notes, piney resins, a bit of crystal malt for balance. Taste is fairly hoppy but not over the top, quite drinkable, mild bitterness on back end, good dose of citrus hops up front on the ballot. Medium mouthfeel, though effervescence is a bit light, gently carbonated for smoothness. I've had this several times before though I never reviewed, and this is always a treat when I find it on tap at PDX. A very very tasty IPA. Worth seeking out.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

A- Very cloudy. I know it is suppose to look this way, but it looks like they need to filter more. Not much head. Looks like a "skimable film" on the top.

S- You have to work at it, but I smell some hops. More on the piney side than the citrus side. Not really much aroma.

T- Lots of piney hops. Good bitterness. There is an aftertaste there that I don't really care for, though. I can't put my finger on it. It is a little funky taste. Maybe a little yeasty?

M- A lot thinner than it looks. I would expect it to be thicker mouthfeel, but it is good for the style.

D- Good drinkability. Nothing much more than that In this category

This is a good IPA. Balanced and good bitterness. Nothing extraordinary, though.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Do mason jars count as growlers? I'm going to say yes. The beer poured a cloudy amber, and frankly, I love seeing an opaque IPA because you know its going to be teaming with hops. The flavor was big and while some IPA's present a succession of flavors, this provided a long, subtle string citrus, rind grapefruit, and floral notes. This is a beer that will please any hop head but is still fairly drinkable and not to heavy. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

on tap at the brewery.
so maybe we visited this after hair of the dog and our palettes were exhausted from all the brutal labor we'd had to endure. we did finally eat for the first time in the day. jesus what a wonderful brat and we enjoyed these pints in the outdoors on a lovely sunny january saturday afternoon. all maris otter and cascade hops. it had the beautiful nose and flavor of the maris but the hops were a damn sight subdued. maybe this was an older batch, as i've had this before and been much more pleased, but the flowers and pine trees seemed distant, as though i were on a boat, sailing down river past them. still delightful, and we had fun singing the songs out on the patio with our copacetics but we were left craving a bit more flavor.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast