Copacetic IPA | Amnesia Brewing

Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 33
Reviews by fitius5150:
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

They closed the Portland Amnesia taproom and that was a very sad day for me. I have had Copacetic more times than I can remember. This was my go-to pint for a few years. It's an unfiltered IPA which is not everyone's favorite, I know, but the extra bit of yeastiness that gets caught in the aroma is absolutely worth the cloudiness to me. Actually, I even like the cloudiness. Sitting on the patio at one of the picnic tables at Amnesia, drinking a Copacetic… pretty close to heaven for me.

Reviewing this from the taproom before it closed. Poured into a traditional pint glass.

The appearance is straw-colored, only slightly pale yellow with a bit of darkness. It's cloudy and translucent with lots of wort still swimming around in there. The head isn't big - a few centimeters or so and it's pale, nearly white.

The smell is a fantastic lighter-than-typical NW IPA hop hit with pine and grapefruit. There may be a bit of other citrus in there: lemon or meyer lemon.

The taste is remarkably balanced for a Northwest IPA. I still get some of the yeastiness in it and the hops are present but not overwhelming. The bitterness is light for an IPA. Those who want a full punch-in-the-face IPA will not be too into this one. Folks who appreciate balanced IPAs should definitely try Copacetic.

My only complaint is that over the years and countless pints of this that I've put away, I've found it to be inconsistent. I've liked Amnesia's beers in general but one visit is not the same as the next. I'm still super disappointed that they closed their Portland location. Washougal isn't that far away, but it seems like it, and they don't distribute bottles. Boo!

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Do mason jars count as growlers? I'm going to say yes. The beer poured a cloudy amber, and frankly, I love seeing an opaque IPA because you know its going to be teaming with hops. The flavor was big and while some IPA's present a succession of flavors, this provided a long, subtle string citrus, rind grapefruit, and floral notes. This is a beer that will please any hop head but is still fairly drinkable and not to heavy. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Served from tap at Amnesia brewery.

A very impressive IPA that is not over the top as one would expect from most Portland breweries. The beer pours slightly hazy light copper with a decent amount of head. The nose is fresh with citrus and mild hops and pine present. The taste follows up the nose nicely with lots of citrus and mild hops. The lovely part of this beer is the presence of quality hops without an overly astringent and tannic note (that I do like sometimes). The finish is long and pleasant.

Overall a good but mild and subtle IPA. It reminds me of the Fort George Vortex in many ways.

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

First of all, neat name for a beer. I mean, copasetic basically means "very satisfactory". Sort of a humble and clever name.

Amber orange with a pretty weak head.

Aroma hits with good strong hops. Big florals and herbal notes. Soft juicy fruit amarillo hops really punch it up and create a nice sweet-bitter blend.

A wellcrafted simple hop profile. It's not at all one-dimensional or boring. It's also not a big big ipa. It's just well made, and well...copasetic.

Malt is light and almost caramel, though it's only enough to keep the thing in balance. Florals (heather, lavender, honeysuckle).Not getting a whole lot of pine necessarily, just some herbal woody earthiness.

Highly drinkablie and at 6.2%, managable.

Edit: Have downgraded marks all around, as this beer (and brewery) is consistently inconsistent. Some batches are merely good; others are top-notch. Always worth a try, though.

This excellent IPA is one of my personal favorite brews. Have had it on tap at the brewery countless times (shaker pint).

Copacetic is unfiltered, and pours a hazy, but bright and bold orange. A finger of off-white head looks nice, lingers for a while, and leaves a bit of lacing.

The aromas practically jump out of the glass and grab you by the nose hairs. This beer has personality! Big citrusy and floral aromas with a touch of sweetness.

Massive citrus flavors- some tangy grapefruit bitterness, but also sweet orange and tangerine. This one is lively! A bit of pine, but not enough to be sticky in the finish. Light sweet malt flavors balance things out nicely. Just a great tasting beer all around. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied, quite juicy. Incredibly drinkable stuff. Knocking back 3 or 4 pints of this is no problem (take it from someone who knows!).

Overall impression: Man, I love this beer. distinctive blast of the Amarillo hops really distinguishes this one from the crowd.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

A- Very cloudy. I know it is suppose to look this way, but it looks like they need to filter more. Not much head. Looks like a "skimable film" on the top.

S- You have to work at it, but I smell some hops. More on the piney side than the citrus side. Not really much aroma.

T- Lots of piney hops. Good bitterness. There is an aftertaste there that I don't really care for, though. I can't put my finger on it. It is a little funky taste. Maybe a little yeasty?

M- A lot thinner than it looks. I would expect it to be thicker mouthfeel, but it is good for the style.

D- Good drinkability. Nothing much more than that In this category

This is a good IPA. Balanced and good bitterness. Nothing extraordinary, though.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured cold into a standard pint glass.
I have to admit I have grown fond of simple, well built, ales with goodly amounts of flavoring hops.

A - Bright apricot colored almost a shade redder than butterscotch. Thin 1 finger cream colored head. Ring after ring of lace gathers and hangs on.

S - Highly focused hop scent, very piney and the aftereffect is citrusy amarillo. A nose full of Chinook (as noted in the description on the menu board) is present.

M - Full sweet ale w/ oily resinous hops. Malt shows up in the feel. Nice bitter quality, but not killing with bitterness in the finish.

T - So much hop goodness, sweet citrus and woody pine join together for a lovely sweet marriage. Plenty of malt gets involved and keeps this combination benevolent. Full of freshness this is a solid IPA that borders on killer. This has plenty to offer -so smooth and fresh.

D - - I would drink this year long...It is a great American IPA. Just enough juice to get you going. Emphasis is on amarillo + chinooks. I was so into the taste of the beer I almost forgot I was reviewing. Definitely the best ale I tasted during my visit to Amnesia Brewing Company.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at the brewpub, Copasetic IPA (love that name!) is a murky burnt peach with a small, off-white head that leaves moderate lace. I really love the darker, yet somehow still sunny looking, unfiltered appearance.

Smell is fairly pungent hops, heavy on the grapefruit of the Amarillo's, a bit of cedar as well.

Taste is great, this is one of my favorite local IPAs, very hoppy and fruity, but not to bitter and very smooth. Well done.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium light body.

Drinkability is high, a tasty, satisfying NW IPA that packs tons of flavor without abusing the palate or packing too much alcohol, at 5.8% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

on tap at the brewery.
so maybe we visited this after hair of the dog and our palettes were exhausted from all the brutal labor we'd had to endure. we did finally eat for the first time in the day. jesus what a wonderful brat and we enjoyed these pints in the outdoors on a lovely sunny january saturday afternoon. all maris otter and cascade hops. it had the beautiful nose and flavor of the maris but the hops were a damn sight subdued. maybe this was an older batch, as i've had this before and been much more pleased, but the flowers and pine trees seemed distant, as though i were on a boat, sailing down river past them. still delightful, and we had fun singing the songs out on the patio with our copacetics but we were left craving a bit more flavor.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast