Crest Super Premium Lager | Crest Brewing Company

England, United Kingdom

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2002

4.83/5  rDev +134.5%

This is the best ruddy Beer that I've ever had the pleasure of drinkng in Britain, or over here in Canada.
It has a great appearance, taste, aroma, mouthfeel, & drinkabilty.
Also, it gives one a wee buzz, which is also greatly appreciiated by all Beer drinkers Worldwide.

4.66/5  rDev +126.2%

My favourite beer.

4.33/5  rDev +110.2%

Love the nose on opening, taste was quite what I expected. So many haters, perhaps they are "light" beer drinkers. Due to the high alcohol content, I won't be drinking it often, however I will pick up the odd can in future. Love a malt forward beer.

3.36/5  rDev +63.1%

Obtained from a local 'Bargin Booze' outlet, just for joke: I was determinded to dislike it and had a bias preconception formed from trying other high alcohol canned lagers in the UK.

However, I liked the damn thing!

Wonderfully sunny day, and I was knackered after grafting all week: sat in the back garden I remembered this beer and thought I'd give it a go. Poured into Budweiser Budvar stemmed tulip.

Lovely snow white head on top of a crystal clear golden, bright lager. Looked almost identical to the wifes Carlsberg Export, except the Carlsberg had next to no head.

Alcohol esters in an otherwise odourless lager/pilsner type non-smell, I give a score of 3 for smell-less lagers/pilsners.

The actual taste reminded me of a Brigand Belgian Ale, with the alcohol being a little more prominent in this beer.

I also expected a nasty metalic headache type feel to the aftertaste, this didn't happen and I was pleasantly suprised by the beer in general. Sure it had too much alcohol for my tastes, but it told me that on the tin. This a lot better than many in this class or style, honest.

3.19/5  rDev +54.9%

My brother and I each got a 500 ML can of this cheapness from LCBO on Lundy's Lane earlier this evening on our current mini vacation in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Poured into a clear glass we have in our hotel room. This beer is a clear, light to medium golden color with a white head maybe 1/4 inch when poured. Settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Lots of little bubbles rising to the top of my glass and a decent surface coating. My brother says this beer "smells like lake water", and who am I to argue with that. I couldn't really pick up any discernible aromas I am used to smelling in beer. Sweet malt and adjunct flavor. Again, my brother says that "it tastes like a rich man's Colt 45", and why not? It reminds me of a not so good version of Baltika # 9. Has a crisp, light to medium body. Easy to drink because it tastes like sugar water, not because it has the consistency of a well crafted beer. It did get us somewhat buzzed.

Eric

3.02/5  rDev +46.6%

non drinkin bud light morons rate this beer low- so be it. Ya want a KICK! drink this beer! nasty by itself, yes but I cut it 1/3 by 2/3 with another 5% lager, have 4 or 5? your in buzztown baby....I don't drink vodka anymore :-) ya want a kick it up a notch! this beer is the way to go :-) screw the foo-foo beer puritans! as William Wallace stated...
FREEDOM!!!

2.78/5  rDev +35%

Sampled at a hombrew club meeting, this beer is pale yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly settles.

Aroma is sweet, grainy malts, light fruit, and an almost candy-like sweetness.

Flavor is similar, sweet, grainy, sugary, corny, but really not that bad.

Body is medium, texture is smooth, and it's relatively drinkable in spite of it's ridiculously high ABV. I would not drink too much though, it has hangover written all over it.

2.75/5  rDev +33.5%

2.75/5  rDev +33.5%

2.7/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

There's actually a bit of hop flavour here, but mostly boozy corn.

2.5/5  rDev +21.4%

2.4/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hardcore stuff for the guy who wants to get drunk as quickly as possible for as little money as possible. And that ain't good. It tastes like Budweiser-infused whisky.

Serve cold. Bought at the LCBO.

Save you $2 or spend it on something else.

Don't bother with it.

2.38/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured a light yellow colour with a white head. Did not dissapear as quickly as other reviewers have claimed.

Smells like grains, sugar and alcohol. Most definitely a typical adjunct lager smell, but stronger.

Tastes...like alcohol. Not necessarily in a bad way. Still some basic malt, corn and hops present. Not actually that bad. Kinda sweet, sour; finishes very dry with alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp and almost refreshing, but the high amount of sugar and alchol dryness ruin it.

Drinkability is decent. Wouldn't consume more than two. I've finished about 1/3 at this point and I feel good. Hits you every sip you take. I would say that there are better quality high-alcohol beers out there that are much better at hiding the alcohol content... and that taste much better.

Final verdict? I would drink this again and no, I am not certifiably insane.

2.27/5  rDev +10.2%

500ml can, a sort of surprise new offering from the Wells & Young's group to suddenly show up here in Alberta (for the second time, it would appear!). The ‘finest German aroma hops’, eh? WTF? Was this actually made in the country that originated the English language?

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, rocky, and bubbly eggshell white head, which leaves some splendid bonsai tree forest lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of sickly sweet apples and pears, gritty caramel malt, yeasty rising bread, lemon furniture polish, and some strangely stanky, um, strange (ok, hops, I suppose, but man are they musky). The taste is gritty and grainy caramel, well, ‘flavouring’, dead yeast cells, pome fruit-heavy Yuk-a-Flux, further near gag-inducing industrial alcohol warming notes, and a distinct lack of the finest of German hops never to be seen in a shit show like this.

The bubbles are quite underwhelming in their barely perceptible frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, as if buoyed by some unfamiliar sugar source, and not really all that smooth, not with that pithy, cheap-ass booziness loafing about. It finishes still pretty sweet, but all tainted here, and musty and dead-seeming there. Gah.

Yeah, this is not a craft brew, by any stretch of the imagination, which is a bit of a shame, given the predilections of the parent brewing concern (Courage, Bombardier, etc), but it is a party-starter (or ender, depending on one's constitution, I presume) - Euro malt liquor swill, incarnate. Oh, and I have to apologize for my opening generalizing tirade about the English - we have shitty, supposedly educated marketing people over here too.

2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

2.24/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a light brass color with very active carbonation. The head has good retention and leaves sticky patches of lace behind. The aroma is sweet and grainy, with a little cooked corn and some booze. The taste follows suite with sweetness up front and a hefty alcohol twang. Hops are very anemic throughout, only a tad bitter at the end. The mouthfeel is watery and low on carbonation for a malt liquor.

This is better than most malt liquors, but only that it hides the ABV a little better. Still to be avoided, unless like me, you have a strange nostalgia for cheap strong beer.

2.2/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance-It is orange in color, lots of carbonation that forms a mega head and lace.

Smell- The aroma is mainly citrus like.

Taste- Cheap adjunct citrus taste with an alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel- Super Thin.

Drinkability- I was not overly fond of this beer it just seemed to have nothing I like in a beer.

2.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Light golden colour with a minimum head that quickly disapates. The smell is musky and has a lingering bitter aftertaste which can be attributed to excess hops.
The Crest Brewing Company is a division of Charles Wells Ltd. out of Bedford UK.

2.11/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.05/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Well it's fairly rank stuff. But lets be honest. You buy this to get a buzz on the cheap. I've been there, and I will say you could do worse. Alcohol is omnipresent in this one, yet it remains drinkable. Not really worth further elaboration but if your buying this and expecting exceptional taste, aroma or profiles your doing it wrong :D

2.02/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Some really horrid stuff, but the drain drank most of it.

Crest Super Premium Lager from Crest Brewing Company