Crest Super Premium Lager | Crest Brewing Company

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2002

Reviews: 24 | Ratings: 50
4.83/5  rDev +145.2%

This is the best ruddy Beer that I've ever had the pleasure of drinkng in Britain, or over here in Canada.
It has a great appearance, taste, aroma, mouthfeel, & drinkabilty.
Also, it gives one a wee buzz, which is also greatly appreciiated by all Beer drinkers Worldwide.

3.36/5  rDev +70.6%

Obtained from a local 'Bargin Booze' outlet, just for joke: I was determinded to dislike it and had a bias preconception formed from trying other high alcohol canned lagers in the UK.

However, I liked the damn thing!

Wonderfully sunny day, and I was knackered after grafting all week: sat in the back garden I remembered this beer and thought I'd give it a go. Poured into Budweiser Budvar stemmed tulip.

Lovely snow white head on top of a crystal clear golden, bright lager. Looked almost identical to the wifes Carlsberg Export, except the Carlsberg had next to no head.

Alcohol esters in an otherwise odourless lager/pilsner type non-smell, I give a score of 3 for smell-less lagers/pilsners.

The actual taste reminded me of a Brigand Belgian Ale, with the alcohol being a little more prominent in this beer.

I also expected a nasty metalic headache type feel to the aftertaste, this didn't happen and I was pleasantly suprised by the beer in general. Sure it had too much alcohol for my tastes, but it told me that on the tin. This a lot better than many in this class or style, honest.

3.19/5  rDev +61.9%

My brother and I each got a 500 ML can of this cheapness from LCBO on Lundy's Lane earlier this evening on our current mini vacation in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Poured into a clear glass we have in our hotel room. This beer is a clear, light to medium golden color with a white head maybe 1/4 inch when poured. Settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Lots of little bubbles rising to the top of my glass and a decent surface coating. My brother says this beer "smells like lake water", and who am I to argue with that. I couldn't really pick up any discernible aromas I am used to smelling in beer. Sweet malt and adjunct flavor. Again, my brother says that "it tastes like a rich man's Colt 45", and why not? It reminds me of a not so good version of Baltika # 9. Has a crisp, light to medium body. Easy to drink because it tastes like sugar water, not because it has the consistency of a well crafted beer. It did get us somewhat buzzed.

Eric

3.02/5  rDev +53.3%

non drinkin bud light morons rate this beer low- so be it. Ya want a KICK! drink this beer! nasty by itself, yes but I cut it 1/3 by 2/3 with another 5% lager, have 4 or 5? your in buzztown baby....I don't drink vodka anymore :-) ya want a kick it up a notch! this beer is the way to go :-) screw the foo-foo beer puritans! as William Wallace stated...
FREEDOM!!!

2.78/5  rDev +41.1%

Sampled at a hombrew club meeting, this beer is pale yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly settles.

Aroma is sweet, grainy malts, light fruit, and an almost candy-like sweetness.

Flavor is similar, sweet, grainy, sugary, corny, but really not that bad.

Body is medium, texture is smooth, and it's relatively drinkable in spite of it's ridiculously high ABV. I would not drink too much though, it has hangover written all over it.

2.4/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hardcore stuff for the guy who wants to get drunk as quickly as possible for as little money as possible. And that ain't good. It tastes like Budweiser-infused whisky.

Serve cold. Bought at the LCBO.

Save you $2 or spend it on something else.

Don't bother with it.

2.38/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured a light yellow colour with a white head. Did not dissapear as quickly as other reviewers have claimed.

Smells like grains, sugar and alcohol. Most definitely a typical adjunct lager smell, but stronger.

Tastes...like alcohol. Not necessarily in a bad way. Still some basic malt, corn and hops present. Not actually that bad. Kinda sweet, sour; finishes very dry with alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp and almost refreshing, but the high amount of sugar and alchol dryness ruin it.

Drinkability is decent. Wouldn't consume more than two. I've finished about 1/3 at this point and I feel good. Hits you every sip you take. I would say that there are better quality high-alcohol beers out there that are much better at hiding the alcohol content... and that taste much better.

Final verdict? I would drink this again and no, I am not certifiably insane.

2.27/5  rDev +15.2%

500ml can, a sort of surprise new offering from the Wells & Young's group to suddenly show up here in Alberta (for the second time, it would appear!). The ‘finest German aroma hops’, eh? WTF? Was this actually made in the country that originated the English language?

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, rocky, and bubbly eggshell white head, which leaves some splendid bonsai tree forest lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of sickly sweet apples and pears, gritty caramel malt, yeasty rising bread, lemon furniture polish, and some strangely stanky, um, strange (ok, hops, I suppose, but man are they musky). The taste is gritty and grainy caramel, well, ‘flavouring’, dead yeast cells, pome fruit-heavy Yuk-a-Flux, further near gag-inducing industrial alcohol warming notes, and a distinct lack of the finest of German hops never to be seen in a shit show like this.

The bubbles are quite underwhelming in their barely perceptible frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, as if buoyed by some unfamiliar sugar source, and not really all that smooth, not with that pithy, cheap-ass booziness loafing about. It finishes still pretty sweet, but all tainted here, and musty and dead-seeming there. Gah.

Yeah, this is not a craft brew, by any stretch of the imagination, which is a bit of a shame, given the predilections of the parent brewing concern (Courage, Bombardier, etc), but it is a party-starter (or ender, depending on one's constitution, I presume) - Euro malt liquor swill, incarnate. Oh, and I have to apologize for my opening generalizing tirade about the English - we have shitty, supposedly educated marketing people over here too.

2.24/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a light brass color with very active carbonation. The head has good retention and leaves sticky patches of lace behind. The aroma is sweet and grainy, with a little cooked corn and some booze. The taste follows suite with sweetness up front and a hefty alcohol twang. Hops are very anemic throughout, only a tad bitter at the end. The mouthfeel is watery and low on carbonation for a malt liquor.

This is better than most malt liquors, but only that it hides the ABV a little better. Still to be avoided, unless like me, you have a strange nostalgia for cheap strong beer.

2.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance-It is orange in color, lots of carbonation that forms a mega head and lace.

Smell- The aroma is mainly citrus like.

Taste- Cheap adjunct citrus taste with an alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel- Super Thin.

Drinkability- I was not overly fond of this beer it just seemed to have nothing I like in a beer.

2.18/5  rDev +10.7%

Light golden colour with a minimum head that quickly disapates. The smell is musky and has a lingering bitter aftertaste which can be attributed to excess hops.
The Crest Brewing Company is a division of Charles Wells Ltd. out of Bedford UK.

2.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Well it's fairly rank stuff. But lets be honest. You buy this to get a buzz on the cheap. I've been there, and I will say you could do worse. Alcohol is omnipresent in this one, yet it remains drinkable. Not really worth further elaboration but if your buying this and expecting exceptional taste, aroma or profiles your doing it wrong :D

1.98/5  rDev +0.5%

500 mL can picked up at TBS; best before June 19 2016 and served ice cold. This is a beer that I have intentionally avoided for nearly 10 years now, but I was feeling masochistic tonight.

Pours a clear golden colour, capped off with one inch of frothy white head. It seeps away steadily over the next five minutes or so, eventually thinning out into a foamy cap and collar. Good lacing, too - visually this is a rather attractive lager, but aromatically I'd have to argue otherwise. Corn syrup, alcohol, wet cardboard, boiled vegetables and apples all come to mind, but "quality lager" most certainly does not. To quote a certain fictitious news anchor, I immediately regret this decision.

Not quite as awful as I'd anticipated, but still one of the worst beers I've had in years. Very saccharine, with flavours of corn syrup and cotton candy dominating at first. This is, surprisingly enough, countered by some weedy, grassy hop extract bitterness, but the truly off-putting aftertaste totally blots out that faint beam of light. Little effort has gone into masking the alcohol content, which is noticeable throughout the sip - but it really reaches its climax after you swallow a gulp. At that point, this beer begins to taste the way that compost water and paint thinner smell. Light-medium in body, with appropriately assertive carbonation levels. The alcohol burn is so significant that it almost seems to have a numbing effect on the tongue.

Final Grade: 1.98, a miserable F. Crest Super Premium Lager is more of a fraternity hazing supply or a solvent than a beer. In fact, it is easily one of the worst alcoholic beverages that I can recall consuming over the past decade - and consume I did, all the way to the bottom of the can, because I'm just that stubborn. Crest is shamelessly boozy, and I would judge no man or woman for pouring this swill down the drain. If you are drinking this simply to get drunk (and really, why else would you be?), prove that you have more self respect than me and buy yourself a mickey of whiskey or rum or something.

1.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Very little aroma, faint bit of malt and alcohol. Taste initially is pretty bland. It is all in the aftertaste. The burn shall we call it. Alcohol burn as it goes down your throat because of the 10%. Taste is metallic and sweet if that's possible. It's one of those beers that if you need to get drunk fast you pound one down. I can imagine a bunch of young brits throwing one back before going out, much like Americans would hit the Schlitz.

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

16oz can into tumbler. This is a continuation of my "random beer picks" whenever I buy beer. I think I'm a sucker for punishment.

A- Crystal clear yellow pour, lively carbonation. Zero head or lacing.

S- Sweet cereal and grain, very sweet altogether, there is some raisins and corn syrup. Not adjunct smelling thankfully.

T- Adjuncts, cereal, grains, simple syrup, raisins and a slow burn of alcohol in the end.

M- Light bodied, high carbonation.

O- This beer opened up and became rubbing alcohol infused lager. Drain pour.

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Beer can (50cl), tasted in 2005)
Appearance: white foam, short persistence. golden blond color, limpid
Smell: grain, yeast, alcohol notes
Taste and mouthfeel: ample, with a dominant malt alcohol, caramel note. Sweet Finale
Drinkability: too strong (10 ABV)

Review added 11-20-2007, translated from french 2-27-2008.

1.54/5  rDev -21.8%

Appeaeance: poured a deep copper, assertivly carbonated, very little head that disapears immedatly.

smell: not good...soap, solvent, yech!

taste: B.A.D. so bad I had to spit it out.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: can't comment on because this beer was undrinkable...was not going to have a second swig to find out.

My mother always said if you can't say somthing good don't say anything at all, so...

Cheers
JH

1.53/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Malt liquor from England? This stuff reminds me of Colt 45. On here, it's labeled as an old ale, but states lager on the can. Poured a pale, gold stain colour with a film head which left before my first sip. Lacing was sparse on the glass. Smelled very, very malty. I can almost see the barley through my nose. No hops detected in the smell nor the tongue. But alot of malts were evident. Very bitter/sour beer. Not bitter from hops, just plain bitter. Left a parched, dry mouthfeel. Overall, undrinkable and disappointing.

1.45/5  rDev -26.4%

500 ml poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - Crest pours very light with a white foamy head. Carbonation is fairly good, u can really hear it when you pour. The head is minimal and leads to some ok lacing. Colour is a light gold and very clean.

Smell - for a 10% beer you cant really smell the alcohol, the hops and a sweetness smell come through quite well.

Taste - UGGGG - one of the worse things i have ever put in my mouth! What a taste, there are no words that can over come the bitterness of this beer. I did not enjoy this beer a lick, kind of not looking fwd to the mouthfeel. If there was a 0.0 rating i would give it!

Mouthfeel - At this stage of the review, i am almost in tears cause its so bad. The mouthfeel has barring on the overall bitterness, i had a hard time keeping it my mouth for the duration of the tasting.

Drinkability - Please take not of all the reviews before u go spending your hard earned dollar on this beer. One i wont finish nor will i ever buy again...

1.37/5  rDev -30.5%

Looks like your average adjunct lager, Yellow with a slight bit of head, lots of fizz and some lacing. Smell is very alcoholic, not good at all. Taste is slightly bitter with alcohol and some hints of adjunct, corn i think it is. This is some really rough stuff, hard going down not very drinkable, and in my youth i made the mistake of drinking a few too many of these which resulted in a two day hangover. Avoid this.

1.24/5  rDev -37.1%

Me and a friend first sampled this at the premiere beer bar in this city upon the recommendation of our waitress. The mistake we made was getting real friendly with her, and she felt this gave her license to toy with us. Upon presenting the cans to us, and our noticing the 10% abv kick it had, she then proceeded to tell us that normally most people will drink this stuff with a shot of rye in it as well. My response was, "Nice try lady, but we're not THAT fucked up yet". Still, after sampling it again now, the rye might have added some redeeming character to it...

Poured this out of a 500ml blue and gold coloured can, 10% Super Strength written in large bold gold letters around the bottom half. How this can still remain a premium lager after a claim like that boggles my mind. As with many mistakes of my past, this stuff looked okay in the beginning, was a husky corn gold colour, clear, decent head that leaves some mild lacing. But the fun stops there. The smell is a faint, subdued grainy chemical laced affair. Far too subdued for something 10% abv. What could be lurking under that? Well, I'd describe the flavour as some grain and corn mixed in with petroleum, very, very boozy taste to it, you taste the booze, but no other real discernable flavours. Flavour and mouthfeel blend into a cidery experience, the intense boozy presence gives it an apple vinegar character. Most drinkable, perhaps, out of a brown paper bag and with that shot of rye in there to make it more palatable.

1.13/5  rDev -42.6%

Can: Poured a dark yellow color lager with small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of adjunct is extremely powerful and mix with some fusel alcohol that is pretty disgusting. Taste is almost unbearable due to the high-level of adjunct sugar and fusel alcohol. I could barely drink more then 10% of this before drain pouring the while thing.

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

I tried this only becuse I could buy one to taste and not a six. Canned beer..what can I say. Poured a pale yellow with no head to speak of light carbonation, overpowering smell of Alcohol over the boiled grains. Taste was sweet with little hop evident over the burn of the alcohol, dry finish with a burn to it...this is one rough brew...like green beer mixed with vodka...a staple of confirmed UK rummies no doubt. Look for these discarded crest cans where ever indiscriminate alcoholics gather...under bridges, park out buildings an alleys.

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

I imagine few people that drink Crest see the poorly bubbled, clear (but tarnished) golden liquid that lies beyond the steely, navy blue walls of the can (or the brown of the paper bag, for that matter). Should they, however, they won't note anything too different; while it may look pedestrian, and give no indication of the fact that it's the worst beer I've tried, it's definitely something I'd suggest the city's sanitation committee have a look at.

Crest smells like a cesspool of festering corn and alcohol fumes; the first thing that came to mind was a biological contamination site. I'm confused that they've used both hops and hop extract - ain't nothing standing in the way of this repulsive, excessive, cloying, synthetic sweetness. Then again, they also used both corn and corn syrup.

'Oh dear mother of God' - was what came out of my mouth after taking the first sip. The second thing was a fit of dry heaves. It's like they took stale corn kernels, coated them in corn syrup and drenched them in sugar. By the fourth sip it starts to feel like an Inquisition-type form of punishment. There's no way I'll make it through the whole can.

Anything with this much flagrant alcohol can easily upset even those with a cast iron stomach; warm discount-brand vodka is less offensive. 500ml can? Seriously? I could do a shot or two, max, if forced to. It has enough strong, synthetic, fusel quality to strip rust; kidding aside, it could honestly be confused with some of the products under your sink.

I not only appreciate all styles of beer, but genuinely like each and every one of them as well... with the exception of value-brand so-called malt-liquors which, as Crest Super confirms, I'm not too modest to admit, I believe are beneath me. I'm proud to say that I've tried very, very few malt-liquors, but Crest is far and away the most horrible.

Crest Super is super disgusting. The feeling of revulsion actually drinking it far, far exceeds the feeling of embarrassment I had buying the can. Beginning this review I had every intention of poking fun at the destitute, down-and-out types that make up Crest's only demographic - now I just feel sorry for them. In all seriousness, this beer - for all its flagrant, stomach-wrenching alcohol - is actually a very sobering experience.

Crest Super Premium Lager from Crest Brewing Company