Crest Super Premium Lager | Crest Brewing Company

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Tastes like ass.

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

I tried this only becuse I could buy one to taste and not a six. Canned beer..what can I say. Poured a pale yellow with no head to speak of light carbonation, overpowering smell of Alcohol over the boiled grains. Taste was sweet with little hop evident over the burn of the alcohol, dry finish with a burn to it...this is one rough brew...like green beer mixed with vodka...a staple of confirmed UK rummies no doubt. Look for these discarded crest cans where ever indiscriminate alcoholics gather...under bridges, park out buildings an alleys.

1.06/5  rDev -46.2%

I imagine few people that drink Crest see the poorly bubbled, clear (but tarnished) golden liquid that lies beyond the steely, navy blue walls of the can (or the brown of the paper bag, for that matter). Should they, however, they won't note anything too different; while it may look pedestrian, and give no indication of the fact that it's the worst beer I've tried, it's definitely something I'd suggest the city's sanitation committee have a look at.

Crest smells like a cesspool of festering corn and alcohol fumes; the first thing that came to mind was a biological contamination site. I'm confused that they've used both hops and hop extract - ain't nothing standing in the way of this repulsive, excessive, cloying, synthetic sweetness. Then again, they also used both corn and corn syrup.

'Oh dear mother of God' - was what came out of my mouth after taking the first sip. The second thing was a fit of dry heaves. It's like they took stale corn kernels, coated them in corn syrup and drenched them in sugar. By the fourth sip it starts to feel like an Inquisition-type form of punishment. There's no way I'll make it through the whole can.

Anything with this much flagrant alcohol can easily upset even those with a cast iron stomach; warm discount-brand vodka is less offensive. 500ml can? Seriously? I could do a shot or two, max, if forced to. It has enough strong, synthetic, fusel quality to strip rust; kidding aside, it could honestly be confused with some of the products under your sink.

I not only appreciate all styles of beer, but genuinely like each and every one of them as well... with the exception of value-brand so-called malt-liquors which, as Crest Super confirms, I'm not too modest to admit, I believe are beneath me. I'm proud to say that I've tried very, very few malt-liquors, but Crest is far and away the most horrible.

Crest Super is super disgusting. The feeling of revulsion actually drinking it far, far exceeds the feeling of embarrassment I had buying the can. Beginning this review I had every intention of poking fun at the destitute, down-and-out types that make up Crest's only demographic - now I just feel sorry for them. In all seriousness, this beer - for all its flagrant, stomach-wrenching alcohol - is actually a very sobering experience.

1.13/5  rDev -42.6%

Can: Poured a dark yellow color lager with small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of adjunct is extremely powerful and mix with some fusel alcohol that is pretty disgusting. Taste is almost unbearable due to the high-level of adjunct sugar and fusel alcohol. I could barely drink more then 10% of this before drain pouring the while thing.

1.22/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Easily the worst beer I've ever had.

1.24/5  rDev -37.1%

Me and a friend first sampled this at the premiere beer bar in this city upon the recommendation of our waitress. The mistake we made was getting real friendly with her, and she felt this gave her license to toy with us. Upon presenting the cans to us, and our noticing the 10% abv kick it had, she then proceeded to tell us that normally most people will drink this stuff with a shot of rye in it as well. My response was, "Nice try lady, but we're not THAT fucked up yet". Still, after sampling it again now, the rye might have added some redeeming character to it...

Poured this out of a 500ml blue and gold coloured can, 10% Super Strength written in large bold gold letters around the bottom half. How this can still remain a premium lager after a claim like that boggles my mind. As with many mistakes of my past, this stuff looked okay in the beginning, was a husky corn gold colour, clear, decent head that leaves some mild lacing. But the fun stops there. The smell is a faint, subdued grainy chemical laced affair. Far too subdued for something 10% abv. What could be lurking under that? Well, I'd describe the flavour as some grain and corn mixed in with petroleum, very, very boozy taste to it, you taste the booze, but no other real discernable flavours. Flavour and mouthfeel blend into a cidery experience, the intense boozy presence gives it an apple vinegar character. Most drinkable, perhaps, out of a brown paper bag and with that shot of rye in there to make it more palatable.

1.37/5  rDev -30.5%

Looks like your average adjunct lager, Yellow with a slight bit of head, lots of fizz and some lacing. Smell is very alcoholic, not good at all. Taste is slightly bitter with alcohol and some hints of adjunct, corn i think it is. This is some really rough stuff, hard going down not very drinkable, and in my youth i made the mistake of drinking a few too many of these which resulted in a two day hangover. Avoid this.

1.45/5  rDev -26.4%

500 ml poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - Crest pours very light with a white foamy head. Carbonation is fairly good, u can really hear it when you pour. The head is minimal and leads to some ok lacing. Colour is a light gold and very clean.

Smell - for a 10% beer you cant really smell the alcohol, the hops and a sweetness smell come through quite well.

Taste - UGGGG - one of the worse things i have ever put in my mouth! What a taste, there are no words that can over come the bitterness of this beer. I did not enjoy this beer a lick, kind of not looking fwd to the mouthfeel. If there was a 0.0 rating i would give it!

Mouthfeel - At this stage of the review, i am almost in tears cause its so bad. The mouthfeel has barring on the overall bitterness, i had a hard time keeping it my mouth for the duration of the tasting.

Drinkability - Please take not of all the reviews before u go spending your hard earned dollar on this beer. One i wont finish nor will i ever buy again...

1.5/5  rDev -23.9%

1.53/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Malt liquor from England? This stuff reminds me of Colt 45. On here, it's labeled as an old ale, but states lager on the can. Poured a pale, gold stain colour with a film head which left before my first sip. Lacing was sparse on the glass. Smelled very, very malty. I can almost see the barley through my nose. No hops detected in the smell nor the tongue. But alot of malts were evident. Very bitter/sour beer. Not bitter from hops, just plain bitter. Left a parched, dry mouthfeel. Overall, undrinkable and disappointing.

1.54/5  rDev -21.8%

Appeaeance: poured a deep copper, assertivly carbonated, very little head that disapears immedatly.

smell: not good...soap, solvent, yech!

taste: B.A.D. so bad I had to spit it out.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: can't comment on because this beer was undrinkable...was not going to have a second swig to find out.

My mother always said if you can't say somthing good don't say anything at all, so...

Cheers
JH

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

16oz can into tumbler. This is a continuation of my "random beer picks" whenever I buy beer. I think I'm a sucker for punishment.

A- Crystal clear yellow pour, lively carbonation. Zero head or lacing.

S- Sweet cereal and grain, very sweet altogether, there is some raisins and corn syrup. Not adjunct smelling thankfully.

T- Adjuncts, cereal, grains, simple syrup, raisins and a slow burn of alcohol in the end.

M- Light bodied, high carbonation.

O- This beer opened up and became rubbing alcohol infused lager. Drain pour.

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Beer can (50cl), tasted in 2005)
Appearance: white foam, short persistence. golden blond color, limpid
Smell: grain, yeast, alcohol notes
Taste and mouthfeel: ample, with a dominant malt alcohol, caramel note. Sweet Finale
Drinkability: too strong (10 ABV)

Review added 11-20-2007, translated from french 2-27-2008.

1.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Very little aroma, faint bit of malt and alcohol. Taste initially is pretty bland. It is all in the aftertaste. The burn shall we call it. Alcohol burn as it goes down your throat because of the 10%. Taste is metallic and sweet if that's possible. It's one of those beers that if you need to get drunk fast you pound one down. I can imagine a bunch of young brits throwing one back before going out, much like Americans would hit the Schlitz.

1.75/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.88/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

1.96/5  rDev -0.5%

1.98/5  rDev +0.5%

500 mL can picked up at TBS; best before June 19 2016 and served ice cold. This is a beer that I have intentionally avoided for nearly 10 years now, but I was feeling masochistic tonight.

Pours a clear golden colour, capped off with one inch of frothy white head. It seeps away steadily over the next five minutes or so, eventually thinning out into a foamy cap and collar. Good lacing, too - visually this is a rather attractive lager, but aromatically I'd have to argue otherwise. Corn syrup, alcohol, wet cardboard, boiled vegetables and apples all come to mind, but "quality lager" most certainly does not. To quote a certain fictitious news anchor, I immediately regret this decision.

Not quite as awful as I'd anticipated, but still one of the worst beers I've had in years. Very saccharine, with flavours of corn syrup and cotton candy dominating at first. This is, surprisingly enough, countered by some weedy, grassy hop extract bitterness, but the truly off-putting aftertaste totally blots out that faint beam of light. Little effort has gone into masking the alcohol content, which is noticeable throughout the sip - but it really reaches its climax after you swallow a gulp. At that point, this beer begins to taste the way that compost water and paint thinner smell. Light-medium in body, with appropriately assertive carbonation levels. The alcohol burn is so significant that it almost seems to have a numbing effect on the tongue.

Final Grade: 1.98, a miserable F. Crest Super Premium Lager is more of a fraternity hazing supply or a solvent than a beer. In fact, it is easily one of the worst alcoholic beverages that I can recall consuming over the past decade - and consume I did, all the way to the bottom of the can, because I'm just that stubborn. Crest is shamelessly boozy, and I would judge no man or woman for pouring this swill down the drain. If you are drinking this simply to get drunk (and really, why else would you be?), prove that you have more self respect than me and buy yourself a mickey of whiskey or rum or something.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast