Lammin Kataja Olut

View: Beers
Reviews: 99 | Ratings: 114 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by katan:
3.16/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a red to almost amber hue. Has some orange aspects to it as well. Head formation is non-existent - is this beer even carbonated?

S - Not finding much here. Very boring scent. I can only pick out the hint of some sourish notes.

T - Starts off very flat and sweet. An acidic edge hangs out in the background. Light in flavor - bitterness very subdued. Mid-stream finds no hopping as the juniper berries should do the job. Some sour notes build. Finishes with an almost chocolately taste - sweet and strong. Perhaps of a berry of some kind - if I knew what Junipers were like I would guess that.

M - A thick and creamy beer. Syrupy at times. Amazing body considering the apparently lack of carbonation (did this one get prematurely cracked?)

D - Fairly drinkable beer. ABV is decent but manageable. My trouble with it right now is that drinking a flat beer becomes a bit bothersome after a while.

A downright weird style of beer. Perhaps the folks at Jolly Pumpkin could give this a try as an Americanized version.

3.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date, says on the label “Ale brewed with natural flavor (Juniper Branches)”.

Appearance: Very little carbonation, not much of a lace at all. Clear copper color, the beer was poured with care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Musty lemons, faint hard-boiled egg and a steely aroma. Canned mandarin oranges?

Taste & Mouth Feel: Wow … canned mandarin oranges on the palate. Carbonation is next to nothing with a moderate body. Pretty damn tart from the get go, mildly lambic-like. Walnut skins. Musty … nearly chalky with a drying tartness, lemony with a sharpness of the juniper riding it back.

Drinkability & Notes: Weird … I sort of like the flavor, it has grown on me after several sips. If the carbonation had a nice sharp spike of crispness to it I’d probably love it.

1.54/5  rDev -53.5%

Straight up pour has a bubbly white head that vanishes immediately leaving no lace. Murky brown amber color. No carbonation and medium bodied. Tart apple cider nose. Starts and finishes as sour apple cider, no noticeable hops or malt if this is what juniper does to beer I can skip it. Waaay overpriced at $4.95 for a 330ml bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

2.68/5  rDev -19%

Poured a light copper/amber with no head to speak of looked flat to me,the aromas on the other hand have plenty of life very juicy and fruity with orange really sticking out with some "wet" grain underneath.Flat feeling in the mouth just not impressed in any way there,quite sweet the flat feel just makes it unineresting to even finish there is a little fruitiness to it but nothing can save it for me,I'll stay away from this in the future.

3.62/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm told that this is a variation on their regular Sahti (and that term is clearly printed on the label). No more information is available on their website, as this isn't even listed there.

Pours a murk-laden toasted golden with an intial eggy bubble or two. All carbonation is gone after a few moments.
Ripe with raspberry yogurt, lemon juice, and brine-cured cheese on the nose. A backing caramel-nut bread provides foundation.
Begins doughy, but is immediately slashed with a pink lemonade sweettartness. A bit nutty at the turn, then ceded wholly to lemon, but more tea-like now. Juniper branches lends a rotting berry sourness. Traces of cilantro leafiness. It rides out like a piece of leather cured in oak, pickling brine and lemon-juice-spiked tea. Medium bodied, feeling brawnier with it's lack of carbonation.
My only reference point would be to compare this to an Oud Bruin/Witbier cross.
I wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm not sure what I actually got.
Subjectively, it is certainly interesting, but objectively nearly impossible to score due to lack of experience.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours clear off-amber color. No head.

Nose is faint with some miscellanous fruit.

Palate is a sweet and sour flavor with some prickle-y flavors in there as well. Low carbonation. Not sure why this beer is supposed to be special.

Finish is short, dissipating quickly. Not much going on,.

4.51/5  rDev +36.3%

Cloudy, almost opaque orange body with no head. Dark bits of junk floating around in the beer. Aroma is very malty, but from a distance slightly piney notes can be discerned. Flavor is pretty sweet, with slightly roasted notes atop thick biscuit malt flavors. The maltiness is nearly like sampling wort. Just a slight bit of bitterness comes through, but it's not bitter like hops. Astringency may be a better term, but it balances out the malt really well and cleanses the plate somewhat. Almost like adding a slice of lemon to water. Mouthfeel is rich and luscious. This is really an enjoyable beer. It's a malt lover's dream. Drinkability is also great, because even though it's malty, it never gets cloyingly sweet due to the juniper. I was prepared to be turned off by this beer, but I'm really digging it. Might have to go buy a sixer and then try to make some myself! Highly recommended for those who appreciate malt and for those who want to experience different styles of beer. Don't bother if you're purely a hop-head.

4.5/5  rDev +36%

Lammin's Kataja Olut is malty sweet and tart with clear notes of juniper, but not too much.

It pours a golden amber with very little head (which is expected for the style). In the nose it's delicately fruity, with notes that are hard to define (tart berry, citrus), and a bit earthy/musty. It's medium-full bodied, dextrinous, and quite smooth across the palate with a very mild caress on the tongue. The maltiness is sweet and somewhat caramelish; off-set by some hard to describe juniper branch flavors (spruce tips?, musty leather) and delicate fruitiness (tart red berries, lemon). There's no noticeable bitterness, but it's tart edge balances it well enough.

Since Sahti is a live product, it will change quickly. Fresh examples are sweet and not tart at all, but bottles that have been around for a while can become quite sour. This is a very good example of the style.

4.27/5  rDev +29%

Open mind. Pour.

Moderately hazy, coppery-gold in hue with a peachy highlight; the color is quite attractive. There wasn’t any animation and the head didn’t form properly (in the sense the head didn’t form like beers typically do, maybe this is appropriate for a Sahti?). There was a tight cap of bubbles that formed a collar around the edge of the class. No subsequent lacing. There is something unique about the appearance. I’m interested. The nose is sharp and very raw; dare I say it is lambic-like. Upfront is a blast of menthol herbalness, like organic Vic’s Vapor Rub, odd yet interesting. There is acidity like a Gueuze. The juniper is most noticeable. Brine. There are lightly musty too. Vinegar. Orange yogurt. JuicyFruit candy. I am surprised at the raw complexity in this beer; I kept on smelling it only to detect more aromas. The potency is moderate but it is plenty articulate, I will not lie, I’m not sure what this beer is saying. It is more intriguing than inviting. It is drinking time. If you like Gueuze seek this beer out. I am very impressed with the palate. It is tart and puckering, the acidity is refreshing and energizing. There is a very unique taste, like orange and berry yogurt upfront. In the middle I found some piney qualities, they are dissimilar to the piney taste of hops, this is completely different. Herbal. Raw. Woody. Leather. Lemon zest. It is even weakly nutty. Tart at the finish, dry with a slight bit of alcohol warmth and some bready/nutty characteristics. The juniper is heavy in the finish, it lingers into the aftertaste, that JuicyFruit sensation reemerges. The aftertaste is long and fairly sweet with a nutty twang. The alcohol is hidden in the palate but it does hit the brain and stomach, my belly warmed quickly (the acidity might have something to do with that too). This beer is a funky son of a bitch and you know what? I really like it! Hell yeah! I had no idea what to expect but I am quite impressed. Medium in body, the carbonation is low but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel, if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. Nice! I’d say this beer would be great with funky blue cheese. This beer has that oddly compelling vibe to it, it is like Gose in that sense. The palate is wacky yet so damn refreshing and agreeable. I would not recommend this beer to anybody but a hardcore beer nerd and mostly likely somebody who really digs Belgian funk/acidity. Who knew Finland rocked like this! I will have to buy more the next time I see this beer. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA.

I am now a Sahti fan.

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy copper-amber color. No head or lace, and very little carbonation.

Mellow and slightly musty aroma with malt, lemon, and juniper. Interesting sweet-tart aroma with a touch of gin.

Taste is fairly sweet - malty with lots of fruit. Orange and lemon lead the way. Some blueberry and pine flavors as well. Finishes slightly nutty and herbal. Different and interesting.

Medium bodied, smooth due to lack of carbonation and slightly syrupy as well. I am torn with this one - I kind of like the flavor and it grew on me, but a couple of sips was enough. I think if it had more carbonation and crispness I would have enjoyed it more. Something different to give a try.

3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

Hazed copper, no head at all. I guess that's normal for the style? Sparse bubbles sitting at the bottom. Bready malt aroma, kinda like rye bread. Hints of paper bag and juniper (think gin). Almost like a stale english beer. Estery, pear-like booze comes through as it nears room temperature. The flavor starts sweet, caramelly and very doughy, with a distinct sugariness. Hints of sweetened english tea, cider, earth and sweet potato. Pear and banana really come through with warmth. Highly unusual. Rye bread and paper bag. Rides out sweet and earthy, caramelly, the juniper fairly mild. Very minimal carbonation, nearly still. Medium body. Finishes fairly dry, without a trace of alcohol. based on flavor, I would have guessed this to be in the 3-4% range. Interesting, but I don't think this will ever be my favorite style. Kinda reminds me of very old english beer that's been sitting on a warm shelf for years. Very much an antique, rural experience.

3.83/5  rDev +15.7%

11.2oz dark brown bottle. No freshness date.
It's difficult to compare the looks of a non-filtered Sahti to any typical farmhouse ale, so that said, it's hard to grade it poorly in comparison.
It pours a hazy orange-hued dull amber color with a minimal bubbly beige head that leaves thin sliding lace in its wake.
It smells somewhat like fresh cut birch, with a faint smell wet hay and distant smoked meat.
The thin malt body is sharp-edged and a bit harsh, but it provides an interesting backbone for the bitterness of the woody tasting juniper branch. A light lemony tartness lasts throughout, as does a Gueze-like apple cider vinegar taste. The 7.0% abv is well disguised.
This fragile brew has a short shelf life, so be sure to get it as fresh as possible

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer pours a clear amber from the 33oml bottle, head is smallish, evaporates quickly, leaving a patchy bit of lace. Nose is sweet, earthy with a musty aroma, start is quite sweet, top is medium in feel. Finish is flat, sweet, dry, and different. First of this style I have tried, drinkable, 7 percent ABV, do not quite know what to make of this beer.

3.72/5  rDev +12.4%

This is my first Sahti. I really liked this. It had a nice sweetness to it, but it also had a bit of a tart taste too. I am starting to like the "sour" type beers more and more. Lambics, Saisons, and now Sahtis. You can taste the subtle juniper taste in the finish, but up front it's more of the fruit character. There wasn't much of a head, if any, but the body was a cloudy amber. I'll probably go get some more before I leave VA.

3.97/5  rDev +19.9%

Nice,somewhat hazy orange in color. Very low carbonation-it barely hissed when opened. Pretty hue though. Good aroma-very malty-some spiciness and a fruity/yeasty thing going on. Very interesting and pleasant caramel sweetness. Very nice spicy bitterness. Good body-has a slick,sugary swettness that lingers on the tongue. Very, very drinkable-if this is what a sahti tastes like I am all for it. Very interesting-quite barleywine/old ale like.

1.37/5  rDev -58.6%

Barely releases any pssht with the popping of the cap. Carbonation is non-existant. Pours out to a slightly hazy dark caramel, unable to form a head with no lacing. The aroma is predominately of malt with an emphasis on caramel, butterscotch, and sickly toffee. Mouthfeel is sickly syrupy and flat with a medium-dense body, leaving a gross coating in the mouth. The taste is sweet and malty, but not in a good way...more of an "August Schell" or "Berghoff" way. Diacetyl is predominant. No real bitterness to speak of. Kinda doughy and metallic. Other reviews mention sourness and juniper. I get none of either.

Well, pretty boring to me. I have no interest in ever drinking this again. It tastes like an English IPA without the hops. Hard to finish. No redeeming qualities. A complete waste of $4.49.

3.72/5  rDev +12.4%

An exceptionally unique creation here. Pours out to a hazy tea orange color with no head. No carbonation whatsoever. Different. Aromas are of slight orange peel, rye bread and tea leaves. Goes rather well together. At this point I became genuinely interested. Taste is quite different than I expected, as when I read Juniper Bush on the label I nearly cringed. Smooth flavors of orange, dry malts, subtle sweetness mixed with sour and tea notes. Interesting. Mouthfeel was bland and smooth, but not watery. Had an almost "light oil" feel to it, if you will. Drinkability is ok; I could go for one of these every once in a while.

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked up this bottle during a stop at Half Time in Poughkeepsie NY. Never had a sahti before.

Appearance: cloudy orange amber in color with no head, just a spot or two of foam. No carbonation bubbles seen at all.

Smell: a unique combo of earthiness and candy sweetness.

Taste: this beer comes off sweet, almost thick candy like with a ripe fruitiness. Almost no bitterness. There is a paper-like and yeasty flavor while swallowing giving the earthy tones.

Mouthfeel: very smooth. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: not bad, as this is a very different style and you need to look at it from the definition of what a sahti is. I need to try some others (if I can find any) to compare to this.

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%

Only lightly carbonated, this beer pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a touch of large, pale bubbles covering a third of the top of my beer. The body is a amber color that shows a lightly hazed, red hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of woody ginger, perhaps a touch of sherry and has a spicy, juniper note to it. Towards the end a touch of biscuit like grain becomes noticeable.

A very light carbonation doesn't show up enough to make this beer seem a little sweet and viscous. The finish has a peppery note as well as a spicy juniper note that just suggests gin (albeit a sweet gin). This reminds me of ginger-flavored honey water at times, but it also has a touch of cracker like grain and a touch of toasted character in the finish. There is also a touch of sherry like flavor here that resides just under the juniper note.

This is interesting, and I do like what the juniper brings to the table, but this really isn't engaging enough to keep my interest.

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

11.2 oz bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in Feb 2005 and consumed a couple evenings later. No freshness date, which is a concern because Sahti is suppose to be served fresh (well, that's what the BA article says). Hard poured to get almost a thin layer of white head over a cloudy apple cider colored liquid. Smells piney with mild cherry sour, raspberry, and rhubarb. Tastes sour with notable piney flavors at first. Fruity flavors appear momentarily including apples (like hard cider), raspberry, and strawberries. It's quite dry, which makes it a bit difficult for me to pick out additional fruits, although there clearly are more than I listed above. The end, during the swallow has a chalky kind of bark flavor that persists well into the aftertaste, which also includes tart grapefruit. This is sour, but not as sour at the Lammin Sahti I had a couple nights ago. It also doesn't have as much depth in scent and flavor. Carbonation is very mild and, with it's counterpart, it does share a late burst of of fine bubbles that form on the flat of my tongue and tear it apart with an acrid ummph. Overall, it leaves me with an impression of a dry and barky hard cider. Medium mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable, I could certainly handle another (which I couldn't of the Lammin Sahti the other night). I highly recommend trying this bevereage one evening in preparation for the Lammin Sahti the next evening. This was a challenging beverage. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it and would eagerly have another in the future.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

I am drinking a 12 oz bottle, purchased at Wells Discount Liquors, of Lammin Kataja Olut, the only sahti-style beer that I've come across.

Appearance: The beer is an auburn orange-ish color. There is absolutely no head or hint of carbonation.

Smell: The beer has a honey and wid fruit aroma, with a hint of malty sweetness. The bittering character is interesting, as it is clearly not a hop smell.

Taste: The beer has a wild, piney taste, not quite to the extreme of, say, Alba, but there is definitely a pine-like flavor. The lack of carbonation is interesting.

Mouthfeel: The beer sits well on the palate. The juniper is an interesting flavor. While I clearly prefer hops, this is a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: The unique taste of the juniper limits the drinkability of the beer. Despite that, I like it, if only for the uniqueness of the beer.

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer (can I call it that) poured into the chalice (unsure what glass to use as well) a hazy brownish golden with zero head. The bottle had a barely audible hiss when opened, but the carbonation level was almost none.

The aroma was earthy much like a farmhouse ale. Coupled with that earthy presence was a low caramel maltiness and a light almost Belgian yeast spice.

The flavor was sour, but not over the top with a light grain flavor and a low caramel flavor. The sourness was acidic in nature and worked well in the grand scheme of things, but the beverage was still one dimensional. Some slight fruit flavors were present, but no spice and hardly any grain other than the low caramel.

The finish was dry and slightly grainy, but only very slightly. A light sour impression lasted into the aftertaste. The body was medium and it was flat. Sahti kinda grows on you, but at $5 a pop, this one probably won't be revisited. It would be nice to try an example with some carbonation.

11.2 ounce bottle. Thanks MABZ!!!

Kataja

Thanks to hwwty4 for this 1.
(My second Sahti.)

A- Hazy brownish orange with no head and no fizz when opened.
S- Juniper berries, mint leaves, herbal cough drops.
T- Sugary herbal tea. Nice weird flavors like a ricolah cough drop. Juniper, eucalypus, and mint come to mind.
M- Verylight and sugary up front, herbal leafy flavors make this flowery and minty in the end.

Overall- Different, but drinkable. Not as good as Otter Creek's Sahti. This 1 definitely remined me of a ricolah cough drop.
(Thanks Bill!)

3.06/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle of Sahti....Check
Open Mind...Check

First of all, I will plead ignorance on this simply because I have no idea how Sahtis should taste.

Appearance: So far not impressed. A glowing copper body with a hazy hue to it. The head was....wait there is no head! It looked like it had been open for 3 weeks and served to me in a basement bar in medieval england out of an old boot. There was a very faint ring around the top of the glass but poor at best.

Smell: The smell was not what I was expecting. I love gin, and couldn't wait to have a beer that was brewed with similar ingredients. The smell was more of a malty belgian aroma than juniper berries. To be honest, I couldn't detect any juniper presence.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very sweet from the start and full of body!!!! The thickness of the body is very nice and filling. The sweetness is not overpowering by any means. At first, I was not all that impressed, but it really grows on you. The only thing is that the lack of carbonation really hurts this beer. Although the full body offsets the lack of carbonation, it would have been a really great beer if there was more of a crisp sparkling bite.

Very interesting to say the least. Not the greatest beer in the world; although one of the rarest. Worth trying if you have the slim opportunity to get your hands on a bottle. Even though it isn't the best, I would love to have a fresh pint on this on tap in it's motherland!

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An absence of escaping gas on crown cracking is rarely a good thing, but then this is sure to be such a unique experience that I'm going to keep an open mind. The sahti is electric pumpkin orange with none of the expected turbidity. It doesn't seem right to call the thing temporarily perched atop the liquid a head. It's more a loose collection of brittle bubbles that is gone within minutes and leaves no glass coverage whatsoever. I won't mark it down too low though, since I'm not so sure that this isn't how it's supposed to look.

The nose is exceedingly underpowered, probably as a result of almost no aerosolization due to an almost complete lack of carbonation. It's a little musty, I suppose. I know what juniper berries smell like, but have no idea what juniper twigs smell like? In any case, there's nothing especially twig-like about the nose.

Kataja Olut is actually pretty interesting stuff and is good in a different sort of way. I can see how comparisons to lambics or wild ales would be entirely appropriate given the mildly funky sourness that greets my every sip. I'm also surprised by the sweetness. While it isn't overly sweet, I was expecting something dry and snappy for some reason.

This... beverage (I keep wanting to call it beer) is impressively herbal. In fact, it reminds me of a low-ABV, herb-infused liqueur; an impression aided by a full body and a light syrupiness on the back end. It isn't nearly as chock full of botanicals as Bombay Sapphire, but it reminds me of gin as well. Hey, maybe the juniper (twigs here, berries in gin) has something to do with that flavor impression.

I'm a little surprised that there's absolutely no hint of alcohol. With something less than a taste bud-busting amount of flavor, I would have thought that 7% would be noticeable, but it isn't. I've already mentioned the mouthfeel. It's closer to medium than to full. Oddly enough, I find that I don't mind the lack of bubbles one bit.

I'm glad that I gave Kataja Olut a chance, even if I have no desire to drink it again. I like exotic and different as much as the next BA, but a... beer-like beverage... has to be good in order to warrant a repeat purchase. Interesting only works the first time around.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy