Lammin Kataja Olut | Lammin Sahti Oy

sahti.com

Style: Sahti

Added by Jason on 01-10-2005

1.9/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a deep amber with a ton of floaties in it. There is almost no head, just a think ring of tiny white bubbles around the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is sour, funky, a bit spoiled, and maybe a little infected. It's like sour cherries mixed with two week old rye bread. It smells terrible.

T: Terribly tart right up front. But then it turns into a putrid mess. It's like rotten cherries and mold rye. Good lord. I almost spit it up.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's acidic and gross, funky and spoiled.

O: Nasty. It may only be from 2008, but it's terrible. This is a straight drainpour. I can't bring myself to take another sip.

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

1.5/5  rDev -54.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This sounded so cool with Juniper (I'm a fan of gin) and I greatly anticipated trying it, but alas it's just not to my taste. Poured only a few soap suds bubbles of head and they popped immediately. The body is a hazy apple cider brown (or muddy water, take your pick). Smells so weird, not at all like the gin smell I expected. I'd say it smells more vegetal. The taste is like pickle juice only more sour. Quite unpleasant. I don't know, maybe this is a good example of the Sahti style (first I've had of it) but I couldn't stand this. It was a pricey drain pour.

1.74/5  rDev -47%

Kataja Olut IVB is a very clear, solid, caramel colored liquid with no head to speak of. It has a sweet aroma of juniper berries and a host of herbs that my nose can't identify. There's something like soy sauce in the background. It smells like a fortified wine, not a beer. It's medium light bodied, flat and abrasive. It kind of hurts my mouth. This tastes like... beer gone bad; oxidized and infected. It's salty and it burns. I don't know if this is intentional, but I suspect not. Down the drain it goes. There's no indication as to when this was bottled, but it probably wasn't recently.

4.21/5  rDev +28.4%

Thanks to beersack for the share. The brew pours a murky and rustic deep caramel hue and is totally devoid of head or signs of effervescence; the rustic aspect saves the score. I smell sweet caramel, oxidized vinous notes, and perhaps suggestions akin to plum wine. The flavor is surprising, as is just about everything with this brew; the first anomaly is that I do not detect any trace of juniper or spruce - I am not sure whether this is an older faded bottle or if it always tastes like this. The taste is more like an English Barleywine, as if executed by a Belgian brewer, and is replete with heavy suggestions of toffee and dark fruit, oxidized vinous notes like a Marsala wine, some concord grape sweet fruitiness that I often find in Flanders Reds, small nuances of mulled spices and tea, and a slightly lemony finish. Very complex. The feel is more lively than its appearance suggests, and is medium-bodied, silky and pétillant enough to carry the flavors. Overall, I am very impressed with this, my first real Sahti.

2.86/5  rDev -12.8%

A very interesting beer indeed.
Amber, protein and yeast particles float about. No head, no pop upon release of the cap from the lip. A vigorous pour results in wasted effort.
Juniper and caramel with some copper in the background. Thick and sweet with a tangy aftertaste. Not tart, though. Not bad, think I'll do a little more investigation within this style..you know, just for shitz.

4.27/5  rDev +30.2%

Muddy/cloudy body-- no head. A higher pour yields a bit of foam. I like my beers cloudy, but this still is not pretty.

Nose is quite neat (reminds me of vintage Aventinus), some banana ester and some caramel that's hard to pin down.

Taste is interesting and quite complex, tart and earthy. Faintest coffee (or very dark chocolate) aftertaste. Body is chewy with some caramel, dark, with a bit of malt and wheat and a trace of juniper.

Mouthfeel is critical; this almost comes across as watery (especially with no head retention or lacing whatsoever), but a hint of carbonation to even out the body.

Overall this is super-neat. It's kind of a sipping beer, and as a sahti, this is different than what a lot of beer drinkers would expect. Not as off the wall in terms of sourness as a Flemish beer, but definitely exciting and worth a try.

2.99/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer was a little too unique for me I think... This beer pours from the bottle as a hazy brown color and it has a ton of sediment in it. The aroma is very intriguing, it's got a lot of juniper and other spices. The mouthfeel is fairly light but the flavor is really strong. The beer didn't have much carbonation at all. I just wasn't feeling this one too much.

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed from notes

A: your basic brown beer, but when held up to the light gives a slight orange hue, no head whatsoever

S: malty, slight spice/fruit scents, got and old/musty thing going on

T: sweet, dry on the backend, slight sourness/acidity

M: very mild carbonation, almost flat

D: interesting, not in any way outstanding

Cheers!
The CPJ

2.87/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-brown color and a thick, cloudy texture. Lots of floaties. There was a small amount of foamy, quickly dissipating head. No lacing to speak of.

S: There's a sharp aroma right when you open the bottle. Malt, an herbal quality and what seemed like caramel.

T: Flavor consisted of the advertised juniper, malt and some alcohol. Mainly, this is a thin, watery brew without much personality.

M: Almost no carbonation with a flat, watery finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Not much to recommend about this beer.

Picked up a bottle of this for $4.99 at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. I'm really intrigued... Sahti, Finland... both are unexplored territory.

A heavy pour into the center of the glass gives nothing but a few random bubbles. The brew itself is a foggy brown with chunks of sediment settling to the bottom of the glass. The smell is very unique, reminds me exactly of a sweet zinfandel wine... tannins, grape, a little liccorice. Body is very flat and smooth. Taste is much more mild than the smell, but very diverse, a lot going on, more like wine than a beer. Semi-sweet, mild caramel, grape juice, very light tannins, unidentifiable herbs... man, this is really running me in circles. Maybe if I had a few more of these to try I could make more out of it.

What I can say is that this is really really interesting and very very different.

2.62/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. I poured hard but absolutely no glimmer of a head appeared. This is my first Shati so I am not sure if that is typical? The body looked like strong, old tea. Brown and hazy.

The smell was syrupy malts. Fruity as it warmed further. Hints of cinnamon?

The taste was tangy and mildly herbaceous. Almost cider-like. Some aftertaste of juniper but not as drying or as woody as I had expected.

The body was medium in density but it had almost no carbonation. I will not seek this one again but I would like to try other Sahtis.

3.19/5  rDev -2.7%

Beer served in a snifter. Beer is dark amber / dark orange and forms almost no head without really aggressive pour. The head is gigantic bubbles and monolayer, no lacing and no noticeable carbonation. Basically its flat.

Smells kind of malty sweet with a little bit of spice....interesting I guess.

Beer is thin and has an odd dry finish. OK it has a very odd dry finish. Its a little sweetness and not much else to it. Not a very good beer. Could be something totally different.

2.79/5  rDev -14.9%

Different for sure and not in all the great a way. Poured with almost no head which is now totally gone. Color is a cloudy dark amber with lots of sediment. Aroma is a pungent malt juniper(?) yeast, wet cardboard resin. Flavor is like aroma with a tart edge. Almost no carbonation. Finish is like flavor with a long lingering tartness and a little alcohol. Maybe I got a bad one.

2.63/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into pint glass

A - dark amber color, little no head even pouring straight down the middle, no lace

S - sweet malt, bit of alcohol, pinesol like, some sort of cherry aspect

T - bit more cherry, some caramel malt, reminiscent of an old ale just thinner, dry spicy after taste

M - light side of medium bodied, much thinner than it looks or youd expect, no carbonation - reminds me of a few of my early homebrews

D - this is my first and last of this beer, after first taste I almost drain poured it, but its getting slightly better as I keep drinking it, had a DFH sahti but traded it, need to get a hold of another to try something that is better in style

A-Pours a hazy brown color with no head or lacing.
S-Funky sour cherries dominate the aroma and I am unable to draw out any other distant smells.
T-Better than the smell, but not by much. Tart sour cherries although it does not have a dry finish and comes across moderately refreshing. The aftertaste is earthy, oaky and malty which for me prevented this beer from being rated lower.
M-Thin with almost no carbonation. The tartness is a bit offputting.
D-This is my first of this style and I'm not sure what to measure it against. It's simply an average beer overall.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy amber color, some carbonation, tiny off-white head, with basically no sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice spice notes, and caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, pretty tart, with some cinnamon notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, glad to have had a chance to try it.

3.17/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2-ounce brown bottle into a tulip glass.

Carefully poured to avoid the loads of sediment on the bottom of the bottle, this Sahti appears a deep copper-tinged ruby-amber, hazy and outwardly dense, and even after a fairly vigorous pour fails to produce a head.

The nose brings forward an earth-laden sweetness. Barnyard funk? Not quite, but almost, as this earthiness recalls horseblanket, but doesn't really hit it. A little fruit appears as well, sweet cherries perhaps, along with a hint of vague spicy character hiding in with the mild funk.

Body is quite full and heavy, with virtually no carbonation, making it feel much heavier than I want it to be. Sweet malt dominates the front and carries throughout, with only a slight middling bitterness with faint juniper and hop notes (as this Sahti is actually boiled and infused with hops) there to balance things out. Some banana-like esters and faint peppery spice notes appear later on toward the finish and carry over into it, with a mildly fruity-sweet character lingering afterward.

Being my first Sahti, I rated this one based on what I have read to be typically characteristic of the style as well as subjective criteria. That said, this was an interesting experience, though I look forward to hopefully trying more traditional examples of the style to have some basis for comparison. Overall, this one is too heavy and cloyingly sweet to be very drinkable or enjoyable.

3.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Served in a Mickey Finn's shaker pint glass.

Pours a murky amber orange with no head to speak of, precluding any discussion of retention and lacing. The nose is a mixture of sweet (gingerbread, cinnamon, brown sugar,vanilla), tart fruity (sour orange, brett), and earthy (juniper, pine, spruce, maple). Lots o' stuff happening here, thoroughly whetting the appetite for some tasty stuff...here goes: Remember all of that sweetness from the nose? Forget most of it, as only a bit of the gingerbread and cinnamon remains. The sour farmhouse-style elements are there in surprising abundance, with a good amount of the earthy juniper and spruce (with a hint of bitterness) filling up the back of the tongue. Again, there's a good amount colliding here, but it's not as pleasant as the nose. The body is deceptively in the medium range, with pretty much no carbonation whatsoever and a texture mostly akin to water. In fact, this brew really feels ver similar to a kind of grain-based tea than a beer, but I suppose that's how this style is meant to feel. Overall, this brew stands as a unique experience with a fair drinkability, which itself could increase/decrease based on continued exposure to the style and evolving feelings regarding its feel.

3.44/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

09/10/09- Purcahsed at a specialty foods store in Red Lodge, MT.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip. No freshness date noted.

Appearance- Deeper amber colored pour...kinda of copper. Almost completely flat in the pour. A few tiny quick disappearing bubbles, that' sit. Looks rather lifeless and doesn't leave any lace markings. Is this normal? COuld rate it lower, but not sure if this is the norm or not.

Smell- A touch of brett, some nice tartness as well as a touch of caramel malt, some fruits and a bit of ginger.

Taste- Has an interesting flavor of both sweet and sour together. Mixes well. Some tart fruits in the mix as well as a herbel tea like flavor. Ginger is here as well with a touch of confectioniers sugar. Mixed bag.

Mouthfeel- Just the sparseness of carbonation, not much of an aftertaste. Quite dry.

Drinkability- Interesting to say the least. Will pick up another to compare if I ever see it again. My first Sahti, and definitely not my last if I can find more.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy