Rampage Imperial IPA | Black Diamond Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Rampage Imperial IPARampage Imperial IPA

Black Diamond Brewing Co.
bdbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by berkey on 04-14-2010

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark, almost burnt orange. Finger of beige head. Excellent retention. Moderate lacing.

S: Old beer, old beer, old beer. No idea how old, since there is no damn date on the label. Review as is, I suppose. Dark fruit, big malts. Sweet breadiness in the nose. Everything seems old and oxidized.

T: Same in the mouth. The hop ghosts are there, sharing past glories of citric domination and piney glory, but alas, they are a shadow of their former selves. These days, it's predominately sugar and malt. Graham cracker, a bit of brown sugar, and just enough tingling evergreen to piss you off.

M: This doesn't change too much.

O: It's an expired IPA. I drain poured. The only reason I'm reviewing it and giving it the shit score is because there isn't a label on the bottle. Date your beers.

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - hazy yellow sediment but nice. Smell - massive fruit smell. Wow. Taste - sticky tropical fruit and no bitterness. No alcohol flavor. So solid. Overall - this is a great balanced beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.84/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a cloudy orange gold with a thick tan head. Orange aroma, piney, but floral. If there's anything but hops in there, it's undetectable by the nose. Mainly orange with other citrus flavors start it out, followed by tart American yeast (a bit one dimensional), ends with a bitter citrus rind flavor. Big body deceives your palate and balances it out and hides the ABV. A bit acidic, but for a bit DIPA, it's pretty balanced.

I wasn't a fan of some other Black Diamond beers, so I've been hesitant to buy this one myself. Good thing my friend brought it over for dinner, because I quite like this one. Definitely good for the price.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Great beer. Was suggested by a guy working in the beer store. It did not disappoint.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

Pour is lightly cloudy orange gold, with a huge off white head which quickly dissipated to a ring and leaves some lacing.

I can smell the grapefruit and apricot citrus from a foot away as I prepare this review. As I close in however, I don't get much else. Clean aroma.

Taste starts out with big bitter pith until the middle, where a citrus flesh finish ends the taste.

The beer bites the front of my tongue as I drink this. The medium body has a touch of viscosity, and it's not the easiest to drink beer.

The grapefruit notes are huge with this beer, to the point of making it not easy to drink, but that doesn't make it bad, as I really liked this beer, but I wouldn't want more than one. At 5 bucks for a bomber I don't have much to complain about though, so the price makes it even better.

DOA

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Bright copper hue and topped with an eggshell white foamy (latté) head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Resinous piney "green" notes and peanut? Perhaps this is a bit off...

T: Muddled piney flavors merging into scone bread like flavors. Finishing about mid dry (Kabinett). This has a rather biscuity flavor in the finish which I could do with out. This seems to show more imperfection as it warms.

M: fairly sticky and has good carbonation. Rather successful in this department for what its worth.

O: Decent beer and I think it was pretty inexpensive which is good. However overall its not something I would buy again if I can help it. Muddled flavors in the wrong sort of way.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Centennial hop brings candied orange, and that's the most dominate flavor from all of the hop characters. Peach notes in this brew. Not much grapefruit, or tropical fruit, and a pine aspect. The look is a dark orange, not a light Imperial IPA. Not much lacing.

The malt sweetness isn't a poweful layer to this IPA. Overall solid. One of the best I've had this year.

Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewing Co.