Rampage Imperial IPA | Black Diamond Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Rampage Imperial IPARampage Imperial IPA

Black Diamond Brewing Co.
bdbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by berkey on 04-14-2010

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a bright, clear gold with orange hue. Lighter in color than most IIPAs I am used to but very clear and looks refreshing. Lots of lacing after the moderate head dissipates.

Smells slightly musty and dank but very full of citrus hops. I have to admit, after reading some other reviews, I get the apricot aromas as well.

Hop forward with citrus notes in the middle... maybe lemon, and finishes quite bitter with a lingering malt after taste.

Bubbly, holding a layer of head. Medium bodied, not too resiny.

A tasty beer and one to get, especially for the cost. Not mind blowing but most definitely a tasty and fragrant IIPA when fresh.

Black diamond rampage imperial ipa

A- pour produces a 2 finger off white head resting on a deep golden body. Good head retention and good lacing 4

S- tropical fruits, slight pine, earthy, grapefruit, a begian yeast smell, slight alcohol scent. Smells very good 4

T- tropical fruit explosion! The tropical fruits are accompanied by pine, banana, an earthy undertone. Malt is in near perfect balance. Alcohol is definitely noticavble but doesnt detract much. A very tasty brew 4

M- very good mouthfeel. Lighter on the cabonation side good viscosity 4

O- much better than I expected as I have always seen this and passed it up. Will probably get it again. 4

A-

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an atypically-shaped 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass.

A: Clear golden-amber with two fingers of thick, fluffy white head. Nice looking IPA.

S: Cabbage. Stewed cabbage and...relish? This smells more like a Polish sausage than a beer.

T: Thank the beer gods it doesn't taste quite as repellent as it smells...but those odd vegetable elements are undeniably present, especially on the aftertaste. Ugh. Happily, the maintaste is full of citrusy hops, though I suspect the varietals used contribute to the odd flavors in the nose and endtaste.

M: Big and full, the way a DIPA should be. Maybe the only good thing about this trainwreck.

O: I'm not sure what is up with this beer, but it's actually undrinkable...from the glass. Swigging from the bottle, where I can't smell a thing, I find it palatable, if not pleasant. I would never recommend this beer and feel duped for buying it based on labeling and wording.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%

A- looks great. Just how you want an ipa to be. I can tell this is going to be good carbonation just by the way it pours. Constant bubble.

S- it's def smells good to my taste. Lemon, grapefruit with some bread and malt. But nothing super impressive, and after reading the label I guess I expected more an I got. That is the only complaint tho

T- good powerful taste. Lemon pine and grapefruit coming in strong like it should. The biscuity malt taste comes in and adds a great profile to this beer. Nothing lingering that you don't like. And some people talk about it being too bitter. I think it's balanced great, strong but makes you want to come back and sip some more.

M - lots of bubbles and stayes nice and perked up the entire time I sipped on the pint

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

my first experience with Black Diamond brewing. this one came highly recommended, so the expectations were high. poured a pleasing copper/amber tone into my pint glass with a small, off white head. not too much carbonation on this one, but it felt right. i thoroughly enjoyed the tropical fruit aromas that hit me first, followed by some pine and biscuity malt. the malt notes dominated as the beer went down the hatch, but i did get some more mango/guava. decent bitterness on the finish. i do taste the 9% alcohol on this one, but it still pretty easy going for an imperial. rampage did not disappoint, but i have had stronger examples of this style.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks a ton to my guy ren for this one. Yet again he comes through with deliciousness.

APPEARANCE: Pours a nice, DIPA orange. Crystal clear with a stark white, half-inch head that slowly dissipates. A few bubbles slowly float northwards from the bottom of the glass.

SMELL: The Rampage has a very hoppy aroma. There is not as much malt in the nose as most DIPAs, the smell here is all hops. Lemon and grapefruit are dominant.

TASTE: A ton of grapefruit with lemon and orange to round out a nice citrus profile. Unlike the nose, however, a solid dose of malt balances it out as well. The taste actually reminds me a bit of Stone’s Double Dry Hopped Ruination, but with more malt and sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: The Rampage Imperial IPA goes down smooth and easy, but a touch of sparkle helps to cleanse the palate on the way down. This is a big, bold beer.

OVERALL: I’m pretty impressed. Ren seems to have the same taste in big IPAs as I do, so given that he sent it, I assumed I would like it, but the reviews seem to be mixed so I wasn’t quite so sure. I like it a lot when I’m in California next I’ll be sure to pick another one up.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Pour is lightly cloudy orange gold, with a huge off white head which quickly dissipated to a ring and leaves some lacing.

I can smell the grapefruit and apricot citrus from a foot away as I prepare this review. As I close in however, I don't get much else. Clean aroma.

Taste starts out with big bitter pith until the middle, where a citrus flesh finish ends the taste.

The beer bites the front of my tongue as I drink this. The medium body has a touch of viscosity, and it's not the easiest to drink beer.

The grapefruit notes are huge with this beer, to the point of making it not easy to drink, but that doesn't make it bad, as I really liked this beer, but I wouldn't want more than one. At 5 bucks for a bomber I don't have much to complain about though, so the price makes it even better.

DOA

Rampage Imperial IPA from Black Diamond Brewing Co.