Black Diamond Brandy Barrel Grand Cru | Black Diamond Brewing Co.

good
Black Diamond Brandy Barrel Grand CruBlack Diamond Brandy Barrel Grand Cru

Black Diamond Brewing Co.
bdbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Our Belgian-style dark ale has been taken to the next level by careful blending and aging techniques.

Added by John_M on 08-05-2011

4.64/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is one of my absolute favorites. Very sippable. The flavor is mellow and somewhat sweet. Notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Pours beautifully as well.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up because local store was doing a special. Marked down to $5 for a 22. Low expectations due to store seemingly clearing it out. Great looking beer, dark, rich with a good head and the smell jumps up and grabs you. Excellent and very strong, just sat and sniffed for a few. Taste is also excellent and it is very easy to drink with 9% ABV. Bonus points overall for alcohol content and value, although if at regular cost it would lose those points. Will swing back by and see if it is still on sale and will also get the Bourbon variety if available.

3.96/5  rDev +16.8%

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Lovely dark amber in the tall chalice. Very nice foam and lacing. Fragrant with booze and vanilla. Long nose of honeysuckle and peanut brittle. A buttery flavor with lots of malty sweetness. Reminds me of Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur, only better. Lots of caramel and butterscotch with just enough hoppy bitterness to give it an edge. Slight sharpness and a winey touch.

One of the better vanilla-flavored beers I've had. 22 oz bottle from Beer Revolution in Oakland. The label says 9.0% ABV.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a wine glass since I'm in a hotel room and that's the only glass available.

Appearance - Pours a dark brown with a creamy white head that leaves incredible lacing that lasts.

Smell - Initial smell of dark fruits. I get figs and maybe some dark cherry. Vanilla beans have been added but I don't get that on the nose. I don't get any bourbon either.

Taste - A distinctly unpleasant metallic taste at first. I have no idea where that comes from but I tasted it with all three glasses from the bottle. For whatever reason, it faded after the first taste. Weird. Anyway, dark fruits dominate at first and then the vanilla comes through. Alcohol is nicely hidden even though this beer has a 9% a.b.v. I can't find any alcohol on the nose or the palate. Rich malt with a dryish finish and just a bit of hops but they are very much in a supporting role.

Mouthfeel - Easy, creamy, dry finish that doesn't overwhelm.

Overall - Not a great beer but not bad. I would really have liked a bit less vanilla and a bit more bourbon but perhaps that's just personal preference. Would I buy it again? Sure. Would I drive an hour for it? No.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark red amber. One finger fine light tan head with good retention. Unusual aroma of dark fruit, malt with a strong vanilla element, somewhat vinous. Flavor also unusual, sweet malt, a mixture of light and dark/dried fruit with faint vanilla. Light brandy and wood in the middle and finish, which has some vinous elements. Flavor is somewhat subdued, but fairly complex and well integrated. The finish is a bit dry due to the the other flavor elements fading out at the end. Although the flavor is more mild than I'd expect, the 9% alcohol is well covered. Medium bodied with some creaminess. This was an interesting beer and I'm glad I tried it. I would have classified it as a Belgian strong dark rather than a dubbel.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Liked the bourbon barrel version at Max's, so figured I give the brandy barrel a try.

The brandy barrel version looks pretty much the same as the bourbon barrel version. The beer is a brownish amber, with good head retention and lacing. Pretty similar nose as well, except that instead of bourbon, I get brandy, brown sugar and some underlying spice... maybe a hint of vanilla as well. The flavor profile is similar to the bourbon version, but not as pronounced. Still, I get considerable bourbon, brown sugar, cherry liquer and vanilla. It's pretty nice, though not as good as the bourbon version (IMHO). Mouthfeel is fairly full and long, with smooth, moderately sweet, brandy flavored finish.

Maybe not as impressive as the bourbon version, but a solid beer nonetheless.

3.82/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very interested in trying this as I always love bourbon barrel-aged beers. I thought the aroma would be more intense, like brandy. It smells more of flowers and vanilla. I'm actually having a hard time getting any brandy in the aroma or the taste. The vanilla flavor is almost too much. I'm almost imagining a brandy alexander. Like it, but I think I would love it with less vanilla and more brandyness.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Black Diamond Brandy Barrel Grand Cru from Black Diamond Brewing Co.