Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

The Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale is a medium bodied beer with a lovely tawny copper / bronze color. The lightest of all our dark ales, this is a great introduction to full flavored beers. This brew emphasizes malt complexity with layered caramel malt flavors. We put a lot of effort into getting The Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale just right and we're extremely proud of the result. Enjoy!

Added by brentk56 on 09-23-2004

1.21/5  rDev -64.5%

Pours a clear copper color with no head or lace. The aroma is of bread crust, vanilla, and a hint of maple. The flavor is odd. It's a mix of root beer barrel candies, toffee, anise, and another odd, undiscernable taste in the finish. The mouthfeel is light and watery. Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale is a strange tasting beer. Not recommended.

1.33/5  rDev -61%

Received in a trade from Colby, thanks man. Never heard of this beer or brewery, what a treat! Poured from bottle notched "8" indicating...2008? No clue. The beer pours a clear red amber color with a small white head, perhaps a 1/2 finger, with minimal retention and lacing. The head consists of large bubbles indicating a sharp crisp carbonation? I hope not. The nose is sharp with hints of apples, almost acidic in character, hints of earthy hops and caramel sweetness, but the apple character is overwhelming. The flavor begins with an assault on your senses with an extreme and overpowering sharp carbonation, not pleasant at all. The caramel and apple from the nose are prominent. Mildly bitter. But it's hard to get past the sharp carbonation. Overall, I dumped the beer 1/3 of the way through, not even close to a good representative to the style and way to carbonated. Tasted more like an apple champagne than beer. Will not be back, likely to both the brewery and beer. Disappointing.

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

1.84/5  rDev -46%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

So I get to write the 5th review of this beer that pushes it into the ranking...well, I won't be accused of trying to pump up the rating, that's for sure. This beer poured with a nice, clear red and orange color and alight head on top. That's about where the good stuff ends. If you want to read about how much this beer sucks then go ahead and read on. The smell is light and weak with only a sweet malt aroma to it. I described this beer to my friend best when I said it was water with a hint of beer. Very watery with some malt flavor int here and a bit of citrus and vegetable character to it. Don't mistake this for complexity. It is just bad brewing. In the mouth it is thin and watery and weak. It sucks. Don't waste your money.

1.89/5  rDev -44.6%

Best by 04/2011 A: dark, dark amber, nearly brown ale with three fingers of lightly caramel foam falls over a few minutes to a solid sheet of the same with creeping edges. Hazy with spotty lace. (3.5) S: Sweet malts with hints of green apple and banana. Some herbal qualities. (2) T: It’s got band aid and vinyl. Not impressed whatsoever. 1.5) M: Thin for the style with sky high carb and a dry finish. (2) O: Least favorite of the duck rabbit line up. (2)

1.99/5  rDev -41.6%

a - seems really dark for an amber to me, but is still a nice color. Pours with a nice head that lingers a bit and sticks to the glass.

s - my smell isn't too keen, but there is dark toast smell there that I didn't expect.

t - the dark toasty smell carries over as a predominate flavor. Almost a coffee flavor, but a bit brighter, like eating a coffee bean rather than drinking a cup of coffee. I didn't care for it much, I don't think it should be top note in this type of beer.

m - not much to say here, it was fine.

d - eh, I think I need to find food to pair it with for a better experience. These pretzels aren't working too great. I think it would be more drinkable if I could find something to better compliment it.

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Disclaimer - I am from PA, a good distance from NC, and this is the first batch that has made it to the Philly area. Based on other reviews I don't think the shipment faired well.

A - A red colored body pours forth releasing a small off white head that fades very quickly and provides no lacing.

S - The aroma is faint sweet and malt.

T - I'm struggling to find a way to describe it. Slightly spicy. Dry. More bitter than a beer this style should be.

M - There is an astringent feeling it leaves that cause a slight burn on the tongue.

D - It's smooth, but that's about it.

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Deep clear copper russet. Ruby is very present in this. Head is a yellowish color and very flimsy and fades very quickly considering the ABV. No lacing to be seen.

Sweet toffee malts and bready grain. A floral type hop aroma. RS in the aroma seems like it's very high. Some maple and brown sugar as well as prune, fig, and dried cherry.

Well all of the Duck Rabbit beers I've tried so far have been far above average but this one is the ugly duckling. Just misses the mark on about everything. Thin, watery, with an unpleasant aftertaste. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate, yet some RS in there. A bitter finish just doesn't help bring this beer together as the toffee, date mid palate isn't thick or full enough to hold up. Very acidic as well. Overall very dissapointing.

2.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours a transparent red. Thin white head gone in a second. Taste is grapefruit upfront, bitter hits the back of throat. Is there any malt in this beer? Tastes like hoppy water. My first home brewed red impressed more than this one.Ive had other Duck-Rabbit brews and I know they are better than this. Time for a recipe tweak.

GC

2.33/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Upon opening the bottle, both bottles, fixxied over the top of the bottle and some of the beer was lost. The beer poured a very dark, but clear red. Much darker than I expected from an amber ale. It had a white head that was not retained at all. The aroma was sweet but I could not really place it. The taste was similar, I was not really sure what I was tasting and to be honest, I really didn't care for it at all. Maybe raisans or plums or apple. Again, not really sure. The beer had too much carbonation for my taste as indicated when I open the bottle. I did not find the beer drinkable at all. The taste was not appealing and it left a very long lasting very bitter and dry aftertaste. While I won't be purchasing this beer again, the other get a much higher rating, but this one may have put me off to all of them.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Is it a duck, or is it a rabbit? Is it a good beer or a malt bath? Looks like a duck, quacks like a malt bath, as it ought to. It is a decent light dark beer. Really ideal for Thanksgiving dinner. Excited to find this at a Target, of all places.

2.39/5  rDev -29.9%

thanks goes to oldgrowth for this. poured bronze, with a nice sized tan head. aroma metallic, malt, some hops, brown sugar. flavor the metallic dominated this I had a hard time picking out anything else but did get some hops and caramel. have had better

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The worst out of the duck - rabbit series

Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery