Milk Stout

Oct 08, 2004
SCORE
Very Good
Milk StoutMilk Stout
Notes: The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
by kieranhynes

Delicious

Wednesday at 11:59 PM

3.71 by TP2MSU from Michigan on May 10, 2022
4.3/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by Leboman

Poured from a bottle into an Imperial Pint glass. Very dark color with little to no head. Smell is consistent with black coffee. Light carbonation and smooth in the mouth. There is a slight burnt taste and it is not as sweet as one would think. Somewhat bitter and sour but still drinkable. I like to have one or two a year but it isn't a regular.

May 05, 2022

2.89 by RichardOrmiston from North Carolina on Feb 24, 2022

3.02 by Pens1866 from Pennsylvania on Feb 19, 2022
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by md3kcn from North Carolina

Purchased as a single bottle from The Fresh Market for $2.09. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

L - Deep & dark brown - almost black. One-finger tan head.
S - Lightly roasted coffee and milk chocolate. Sweet.
T - Flavor follows nose. Well-balanced. Little bit of charred wood. Light brown sugar.
F - Silky. Easy-to-drink. Medium body with medium carbonation.
O - I've had this brew before. Believe it or not, this is the beer that made me despise milk stouts with a passion. A couple years back I bought a six-pack of this stuff, and really enjoyed the first bottle. Then I realized I had to drink the rest throughout the week. Believe me when I say that milk stouts get old, really fast! I got really sick of milk stouts ever since then. With that story aside, enjoying a single bottle of the stuff from Duck-Rabbit isn't half bad. I recognize it's a good beer, and it hits all the marks of a good milk stout. It's a good dessert beer, without being too heavy. Will I ever buy this again? No. Not because it's a terrible beer, but because I generally dislike milk stouts. I'd recommend it, though! Great beer.

Dec 03, 2021

3.71 by DVMin98 from North Carolina on Oct 22, 2021

3.85 by Danzifer from Ohio on Oct 05, 2021
3.64/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5
by HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

Solid black rich deep appearance.
Just above average body with over average carbonation which is the weakest part of this beer.
Aroma is mild but a nice hit of toasted marshmallow, roasted malt,toasted wood, an odd but pleasant baked apple.
Taste is very similar to aroma,mild sweetness with wood and toasted marshmallow.
Overall its very good but the high carbonation overtook the flavor a bit.

Sep 29, 2021

3.5 by JohnnyForeign from New Jersey on Aug 08, 2021
3.84/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by akaizer from Virginia

From a beer of the month club. Pour had a vast dark brown foam head and body. Scent sweet malts with notes of espresso, dark chocolate, and a touch of burnt. Taste matches well with the burnt sensation coming along nicely. Feel is on the drier side giving it a bit lighter of an impression. Enjoyable, especially since it is a milk stout that is on the less sweet side.

Jun 16, 2021
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by NiceTaps from New Jersey

12 ounce bottle in an English ale style Imperial pint glass.

Pours a dank reddish brown color with a very modest off white cap, no lacing.

Roasted malt aromas of coffee, licorice, and sweet milk chocolate.

The lactose makes for mostly milk chocolate.
There’s some licorice and a little toffee.

Lighter side feel for a stout, attributed to the lactose. Sweet creamy chocolate.

Better than I expected for the style and I would not shy away from this brew.

May 14, 2021
4.17/5  rDev +8.6%
by HarlotBronte from District of Columbia

Thin mouthfeel which isn’t a bad thing. Low carbonation. I liked that I was able to drink two without feeling drunk or weighed down like with many stouts. I generally hate lactose in beers, but love it here. For $11 a six pack I’d definitely buy this again.

Apr 17, 2021

4.25 by drt72 from Virginia on Mar 11, 2021

3.75 by Chipwells from Georgia on Feb 06, 2021

3.74 by Jaasoares from Virginia on Dec 10, 2020
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by Weisenbeer from Ohio

Cold weather moving in means I try to branch out on beer styles ... Poured this into a traditional handled beer mug ... Not very frothy and a bit flat .... Decent tasting ... In a word, "Meh" ... I'll be moving on looking for other brewers of this style

Oct 26, 2020

3.18 by QuintusHorace from California on Oct 22, 2020
1.25/5  rDev -67.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25
by Mikemonett from Ohio

I am a long-time fan of milk stouts. This is the worst I ever drank. It is sour and bitter, with no sweetness at all. These facts overwhelmed any other secondary flavor the beer might have.

Aug 31, 2020
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
by dacrza1 from New Jersey

DATE: August 14, 2002... OCCASION: celebrating a nice visit with Mom and Dad with a beer I picked up in Tannersville, meant for reviewing solely because of its place on the Michael/Megan wedding two falls ago... GLASSWARE: Orioles mug... pours a cola dark black with tracings of off-white bubbles in single file to its smeary light oatmeal-colored head... the head is resilient, a half finger for much of the journey... roasted malts evoke coffee, chocolate milk, licorice, pudding, and rich toffee, suggesting a sweetness to the bill... easy drinking indeed, this holds the teeth's attention, offers a creamy swirl through the mouth, and finishes with a thick, malt-laden sway that remains long after the sip ends... deceptively hefty for its 5.7% ABV, in a pleasing way... sweet, malty, and lactic, a dessert and a drink in one swig... its toffee, chocolate and coffee bean meld nicely to produce a rich flavor profile where nothing is trying to one-up another... instead, this beer fits right alongside the fire I built, warming the memories of last fall's wedding of a former student whom I respect as much for his character and talent as for his beer and whiskey selections that night... stronger than its parts, a stout worth drinking in August--or any time of the year...

Aug 15, 2020

5 by Simiy9 from North Carolina on Jun 30, 2020
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75
by Emichaelbray from Pennsylvania

I wanted to like this one. I dig milk stouts, for context. One of my favorite styles. The appearance and smell of this brew is misleading. Black with auburn head pour. The head disappeared quickly. I get my beloved roasted malts, coffee, chocolate on the nose. Maybe milk chocolate. The taste isn’t awful but, as more than one reviewer has noted, there’s a strange sourness to this that has no place in a milk stout. It’s incongruous. It’s like almost spoiled milk. Ruins it for me. I can taste, if I get past the sour, much of what I picked up in the nose but it’s not worth the effort. Happily, it’s kinda crisp and the sourness fades quickly.
If you like this kind of thing (whatever it is - certainly not a milk stout as I understand it), you could probably do worse. I will never have another.

Jun 10, 2020
3.23/5  rDev -15.9%
by Tadwinks from Virginia

I think I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't known what it was. It had a sourness I wasn't expecting from a milk stout. It's like tasting a glass of what you think is bourbon and realizing it's iced tea. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. And exactly my cup of tea.

May 16, 2020
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%
by neenerzig from Ohio

Got a 12 oz bottle of this recently. poured into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown color with a deep amber/ruby glow when held up to the light and a tan head that's 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured that settles to a nice big cluster swirl of a film layer of surface foam along with a pretty thick ring lining the inside of the glass and decent lacing. Aromas of roasted malts, with some chocolate and black coffee notes along with some oats and certainly lactose. A very similar flavor profile here, with roasted malts that give way to some chocolate sweetness and black coffee bitterness immediately followed by oats and lactose sugars. This is all rounded out with a bit of earthy hop bitterness. A well balanced flavor profile. The roasted not is very apparent here I feel. Has a somewhat minerally, grainy, also somehow smooth, slightly sticky, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a roasted, black coffee and slightly sweet dark chocolate aftertaste. A good beer here.

Eric

Apr 26, 2020
3.52/5  rDev -8.3%
by SaltofOH from Ohio

Bottle best by April. Great Lakes 30th tulip.

A: pours and opaque jet-black, with little to no head formation. Slight sandy ring around the edge. No lacing, and this is a super clean glass. Perhaps an old bottle.

S: some dark, roasty notes rise up from the glass when you swirl it. A little lactose sourness, but maybe my imagination. A touch of that “flinty” taste I associate with my first experiences with dark beers.

T: surprisingly dry arrival, malty but not sweet. Roasty, but not overly so. Less profound roastiness than say, Founders porter. Surprisingly bitter finish, heavy hand on the hops here.

M: this is the real star of this show; smooth, wet, creamy. Lower carbonation than I’d expect. Hefty, but not super heavy mouthfeel. Lighter side of heavy?

O: a solid stout with all of the texture desired of a milk stout, with relatively low sweetness and higher than average roast and bitterness. GL’s Eddie Fitz porter is sweeter, but similar weight. Founders porter is probably the closest analogue for me, but I’d take Founders over this.

Mar 15, 2020

4.25 by BabaBeer from California on Mar 04, 2020
by Eamonn-Cummings3 from New York

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Trillium pub glass.

Look is a dark brown with cola highlights and an off white head.

Aroma is sweet roasted malt.

Taste is astringent roasted malt.

Mar 02, 2020
3.94/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by Brook82 from Ohio

Poured from 12 oz bottle, best by 04/2020. Solid black appearance, tan head that left moderate lacing. Sweet leaning aroma, taste mirrored the aroma. Quite smooth and easy drinking. Relaxed feel with nice touch of bitterness to balance it out. Pleasantly surprised with quality of this brew. Would buy again.

Feb 20, 2020
3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by hman43 from North Carolina

Look: It pours dark brown with a light brown head. Head retention is good.

Smell: It has roast aromas as the primary aroma. There are also coffee and a bit of sweetness in the aroma.

Taste: It has strong roasted flavors with some coffee richness. There is low sweetness in the flavor.

Feel: It has a medium body with a smooth texture.

Overall, it has roast and some coffee flavors with low sweetness.

Feb 09, 2020

3.7 by Quadman from Ohio on Jan 28, 2020
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
by SimplySinister from Florida

A - Poured into cylinder. Brew is very dark black brown, nearly opaque (flashlight reveals it to be somewhat translucent), 1 finger quickly dissipating head with minimal lacing, and moderate carbonation.

S - Barley, chocolate, hops, malt, and coffee are present.

T - This is not your average milk stout. In fact, it seems there's a prevalent sourness on the frontend that, in some ways, almost seems acidic. Chocolate and coffee notes are somehwat lost in the mix. I detect a faint hint of walnut and malt. The flavor profile on this one seems slightly limited.

M - Finishes amazingly clean. The lingering mouthfeel of most milk stouts is absent in this one.

D - I'm on the fence. I'm not exactly sure that this beer is what I expected. Several other milk stouts I've enjoyed seem to contain a milky creaminess. This brew tends to be much, much more sour than those other's I've tried. In all truth, I have not had an abundance of experience with this particular style, so I'll refrain from further criticism. However, with all this being said, this is a good stout. It isn't exactly anything to brag about, but it certainly is enjoyable.

Jan 25, 2020
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by zoowatcher

Good flavor profile that is not overly sweet and gives the drinker a enjoyable stout experience. I find the smell of it to be like smelling a proper coffee ice cream, so sweet with coffee/chocolate hints.

Jan 20, 2020

3.95 by vabeerguy from Virginia on Jan 02, 2020

3.51 by Marzen_Fan from Ohio on Jan 01, 2020

3.5 by leinie13 from Ohio on Dec 26, 2019
3.57/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by Singlefinpin from North Carolina

Drinking this from a bottle poured in to a pint glass.
Appears black, light tan head that subsided quickly.
Smells malty, chocolatey, hints of coffee.
Tastes sweet, chocolate and coffee.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style.
Overall, a nice local milk stout, very good if you can find on tap.

Dec 25, 2019

3.5 by vrbulldog22 from Ohio on Dec 15, 2019
by Buckeye55 from North Carolina

All 4's?, yes! I tend to rate stouts/porters higher than most. They are my favorite beer styles, and I like well done versions like this one. Dark black pour with a fast fading head. The scent is a delicious combination of coffee and sweet. The taste leans to sweet, with a surprising light mouthfeel. Aftertaste starts sweet with the bitter at the end

Nov 08, 2019