Milk Stout | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: English Sweet / Milk Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 787 | Ratings: 2,142
3.94/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Super delicious stout! I was caught off guard by how much I liked it, I went in with pretty big expectations but it blew by them. The smell might be the best part and that’s not taking anything away from the taste.

A-Pours a very dark color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has lactose hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a lactose flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A good Stout

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle

Pours a strong three fingers of tan head, relatively large bubbled carbonation, dark brown which admits some light. After a moment the head subsides to a spotty covering and lacing.
Prominent lactose aroma along with coffee, cocoa, dark malt.
Lactose is reduced in the flavor, nuts, coffee, faint char.
Light medium body, bitterness across the tongue,resilient carbonation.
A classic always available in the Carolinas, does not disappoint.

4.49/5  rDev +16.9%

A wonderful dark ale that holds up well in its category. First talking about the presentation. The label is not great in my opinion. I feel like it could use some work. I understand the reason behind the logo and ultimately judge the beer on flavor. Moving on to Aroma. On the nose, i am first hit with a big wif of mild chocolate and a rich toasted malt. There is a slight hint of coffee in the aroma and thats all. Lets talk about flavor. As soon as this beer hits your pallet, you get a bitter toasted malt thats coffee-like in flavor and a top end sharp sweetness. Through out the sip there is a nice tang and roasted character that follows all the way through to the end. The end is clean and semi dry. The flavor does not last long on the pallet and remains clean. Now for the body and texture. The beer contains a light amount of prickly carbonation. At best, this beer has a medium body. Not creamy or rich, rather thin for a Stout. This beer is not impressive to me. A big Con I can see with this beer is its lack of complexity. there is NO deep nuance of dried cherry or lingering notes that distinguish this beer from any other Stout. That is my only complaint. Overall this is a tasty Stout however, there are many beers from this style that are just as good if not better. I recommend you try others as well and find what you enjoy! Despite my critique, I did enjoy this beer. Not buying a 6 pack any time soon though.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big lactose notes, slight bakers chocolate note, mouthfeel could be a little bigger. Not a bad milk stout & I love the the labels on the Duck-Rabbit beers, they are creatively cute. This is one of the few micro breweries where I can honestly say that I have tried all of their beers. Cheers! B

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Milk Stout pours a black color, with a nice sized tan head. Nice lactose aromas, sweet. Flavors are sweet, with a nip from the strong lactose in this beer. Very good body and feel. Overall, a very good milk stout.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

From 12oz bottle in pint glass. A thin tan head drops quickly with almost no lacing. Color is dark reddish-brown. Aroma of sweet, rich roasted malt, cocoa and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is medium with a somewhat dry finish. Flavors of cocoa, dark bread toast, cream, and earthy-herbal hops. A very fine milk stout.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Silky smooth, high roasted aroma, chocolaty, creamy milk foam. Great mouthfeel with really nice body. An excellent stout with low ABV. Enjoyed drinking this one.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not much hiss from the cap, and only a thin fingernail of head. I'm thinking it's just a small mistake from the brewery. The body is shiny black.

Aromas of metal, cocoa nibs, cigarette smoke, slight burnt popcorn, coffee, lactose, and oats.

Flavor profile comes off more like a watery porter or a doppelbock, with some licorice notes dancing around, a nice firm roast barley-meets-carapils malt bill, and some coffee-chocolate-vanilla on the finish.

Feel is thin for a stout, a mild-to-moderate buzzing carbonation, and a roasty semi-dry finish.

Overall, I think I got a dud. I'd be willing to try it again absolutely to prove myself wrong. If it were a doppelbock it would be fantastic.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Pours dark and opaque. Cream colored head with less retention and lacing than others.

Smell:
Strong vanilla with chocolate, coffee, and toffee notes

Taste:
Mirrors smell with strong vanilla/cream from the lactose. Sweet and smooth.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and less creamy than expected. Medium body.

Overall:
One of my very favorites. Do yourself a favor and try a pint if you get the chance.

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

L: Half a finger of very light tan colored head. Some medium sized bubbles in it. Beer is dark brown in color but not black.
S: Coffee, maybe some caramel. Has a sweetness to it.
T: Sweetness with some roastiness. Seems very one dimensional.
F: The feel is way too light for me. My first thoughts were it feels watered down. Other than that it has good carbonation.
O: I would like more out of it. But it's not a bad easy drinker. Would be a good one to show somebody who is new to craft beer and trying new styles.

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black color with a tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly. Can only see a ruby-orangish color at bottom of glass, no light penetration at all. Smell is strong cold black coffee and slight caramel. Initial taste is definite black coffee, but not overwhelming, dark roasted malt and only a slight hop/coffee finish. The feel is not as thick as a Guinness, more like a black lager. Overall, If you like rich, dark brews, you will enjoy this one. Definitely worth a try. Hope to pick up more when I visit my brother down in NC.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Undated bottle poured into snifter. It pours a walnut color with dark cola hues when held to the light. When the bottle opened, the head bubbled up but then dissipated quickly. The nose features roasted malt, burnt coffee, nuts, and strong chocolate. The various tastes are all burnt: the malt, coffee, and chocolate. I'm not tasting anything sweet. It has a fairly creamy mouth feel with moderate carbonation, and the 5..7% ABV is barely noticeable. Overall, I can only conclude I had an off bottle and I'll revisit this review when I have the opportunity.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Duck Rabbit Milk Stout %5.7 ABV.
Eye: A very solid black body, tan head
Nose: coffee, sweet chocolate malts
Tongue: coffee, dark malty sweetness, roasty bitter after taste
Mouth: a bit heavier, slightly syrupy, super smooth going down
Overall: It is a really great stout that is super smooth and veltety with a nice bitter roasted coffee aftertaste. For some reason I didn't like this the first time I had it, but I tried their porter and liked it so I came back for a 2nd try with the stout and enjoyed it fully.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

A-pours a coca cola color with an off white head with decent retention
S-cocoa, burnt sugar, roasted coffee
T-chocolate, some roasted notes, sweetness in the finish
M-medium bodied, a bit thin
O-not the best example of the style but worth trying

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

The appearance was a nice dark brown close to black color with an off-white to somewhat dark tan one finger head that dies at a nice slow pace and ends up leaving some nice looking spiderwebbing lacing in the wake. The smell had a super nice blend of dark roasty chocolate malts to coffee beans. Its an eloquent combination! The taste was bittersweet bliss between the chocolate and the coffee. There was the exact same aftertaste and finish. On the palate, it sat medium to heavy. I found myself sipping this, but it showed a superb carbonation running about my mouth and tongue. Overall, a very well done milk/sweet stout.

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery "Milk Stout"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, label notched "...best by..." 6/17 and sampled on 05/27/17
$2 @ Weis Market #231, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Very deep mahogany, almost black body. Short head of creamy light tan. Average head retention and lacing.

Smell: Coffee and dark chocolate.

Taste: Caramel, coffee, and dark chocolate. Some burnt toast. Underlying fruitiness. Moderate bitterness but it's not "sweet", just sweetish, and then dry in the finish. Limited hop flavors appear in the background in the finish, leafy and floral.

Feel: Medium-light in body. Very smooth, soft carbonation.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%

This Milk Stout was Perfect in every way,
for what I wanted that cool wet day.
Rich Belgian milk chocolate aromas and flavors, I must say.
and I have enjoyed many of this Brewer's array
If dark brews you crave in the good ol south, put Duck Rabbit in your mouth.
Mighty Fine.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12/31/15
Bottle to goblet to start off my new years eve celebration. Loved this beer about 10 years ago when I had it in a beer if the month gift from brother Jon. It was great then, and still very nice now. Look is Dark black, off white head. Aroma is Toasted malt, smoke, salty oyster stout like aroma. Taste is bread, wine, malt. Thin feel for a stout, but smooth.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Deep amber color, brilliantly clear. Pale tan head, creamy and lingering.

Sweet chocolate milk aroma, gentle roast

Malty and somewhat sweet. Minimal stout roast flavors. Hits the mark as a sweeter stout.

Med-full body. Medium carbonation. Creamy and gentle on tongue.

A little big and thick for a milk stout, but a flavorful, easy drinking stout.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Very dark. Rudy highlights. Light brown foamy head.
Smells of cocoa nibs and coffee. Sweet.
A great deep roasted malt taste. Burnt-like bitter aftertaste builds over time. So does the residual sweetness. It sticks to the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, a little sticky.

This is a great milk stout with great roasty characteristics, though I'm not a fan of the sweetness.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one-off bottle was part of a "secret Santa" mix-six-pack that my son received for Christmas. He doesn't like beer, so I've inherited the bottles. Merry Christmas to me :)
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Imperial Pint glass, which was a bit unfortunate as there was almost no head that formed, just a bit of a ring around the edge of the glass. Medium-Dark brown with a red-to-ruby undertone.
Aroma of mild roast, a bit of currant, not overpowering in any particular direction. No hop aroma.
Taste is actually quite good considering the low carbonation of this bottle (which I personally don't mind as you actually taste the flavors more effectively). A very pleasant dark ale aspect, lactose gives it a bit of zing but if you're looking for nitro or oatmeal creaminess, it isn't here. Still a really tasty beer although I'm not sure I'd identify it as stout, per se.
Mouthfeel is better than if it were overly effervescent but not entirely typical of the style. I'm thinking my bottle is older than average. The date indicator on the label doesn't appear to have any markings.
Overall this is a tasty product but my particular bottle is almost certainly not representative of what it was when it went in. That said, I think it's quite delicious in its own right in spite of age or handling issues. I definitely would like to seek it out again sometime.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep brown, minimally syrupy. The head was a bit thin and bubbly with a light tan/khaki color.

This beer shines on the nose with lovely rich chocolate and roasty malt. The taste is well balanced in sweetness, roasted malt, and some light bittering hops. The finish is sweet and a bit happy. A solid, balanced milk stout that most would enjoy!

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My first forays into stouts, I was expecting a little more.

The colour was rich and dark, though, from the bottle, it only had a 1-finger, cinnamon-coloured head that quickly disappeared. The aroma smelled of coffee and bitter chocolate, however, the taste was, at first, only that of burnt toast. As my tongue acclimated, I could detect roasted coffee with an aftertaste of cocoa powder. As I warmed the beer in my hands, the chocolate and coffee notes came out more.

Unfortunately, the beer suffered in two areas: The lactose added seemed to have little effect on the beer, neither making it sweeter or creamier as I had been led to expect from the style and the mouthfeel was rather thin, compared to similar expectations. I was expecting a big, mouth-filling maltiness that didn't quite deliver.

All in all, a decent drink, though I'll take my time to further investigate others of this style.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a dark brown color with khaki colored head. Baking cocoa powder, caramel malt, and some sweetness on the nose; follows onto the palate. Medium bodied. Finishes with a cocoa sweetness.

Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery