Milk Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Milk StoutMilk Stout
Notes: The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!
Reviews: 808 | Ratings: 2,179 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
akaizer from Virginia

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a beer of the month club. Pour had a vast dark brown foam head and body. Scent sweet malts with notes of espresso, dark chocolate, and a touch of burnt. Taste matches well with the burnt sensation coming along nicely. Feel is on the drier side giving it a bit lighter of an impression. Enjoyable, especially since it is a milk stout that is on the less sweet side.

Wednesday at 12:42 AM
NiceTaps from New Jersey

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle in an English ale style Imperial pint glass.

Pours a dank reddish brown color with a very modest off white cap, no lacing.

Roasted malt aromas of coffee, licorice, and sweet milk chocolate.

The lactose makes for mostly milk chocolate.
There’s some licorice and a little toffee.

Lighter side feel for a stout, attributed to the lactose. Sweet creamy chocolate.

Better than I expected for the style and I would not shy away from this brew.

May 14, 2021
HarlotBronte from District of Columbia

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Thin mouthfeel which isn’t a bad thing. Low carbonation. I liked that I was able to drink two without feeling drunk or weighed down like with many stouts. I generally hate lactose in beers, but love it here. For $11 a six pack I’d definitely buy this again.

Apr 17, 2021
Weisenbeer from Ohio

3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cold weather moving in means I try to branch out on beer styles ... Poured this into a traditional handled beer mug ... Not very frothy and a bit flat .... Decent tasting ... In a word, "Meh" ... I'll be moving on looking for other brewers of this style

Oct 26, 2020
Mikemonett from Ohio

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I am a long-time fan of milk stouts. This is the worst I ever drank. It is sour and bitter, with no sweetness at all. These facts overwhelmed any other secondary flavor the beer might have.

Aug 31, 2020
dacrza1 from New Jersey

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

DATE: August 14, 2002... OCCASION: celebrating a nice visit with Mom and Dad with a beer I picked up in Tannersville, meant for reviewing solely because of its place on the Michael/Megan wedding two falls ago... GLASSWARE: Orioles mug... pours a cola dark black with tracings of off-white bubbles in single file to its smeary light oatmeal-colored head... the head is resilient, a half finger for much of the journey... roasted malts evoke coffee, chocolate milk, licorice, pudding, and rich toffee, suggesting a sweetness to the bill... easy drinking indeed, this holds the teeth's attention, offers a creamy swirl through the mouth, and finishes with a thick, malt-laden sway that remains long after the sip ends... deceptively hefty for its 5.7% ABV, in a pleasing way... sweet, malty, and lactic, a dessert and a drink in one swig... its toffee, chocolate and coffee bean meld nicely to produce a rich flavor profile where nothing is trying to one-up another... instead, this beer fits right alongside the fire I built, warming the memories of last fall's wedding of a former student whom I respect as much for his character and talent as for his beer and whiskey selections that night... stronger than its parts, a stout worth drinking in August--or any time of the year...

Aug 15, 2020
Emichaelbray from Pennsylvania

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I wanted to like this one. I dig milk stouts, for context. One of my favorite styles. The appearance and smell of this brew is misleading. Black with auburn head pour. The head disappeared quickly. I get my beloved roasted malts, coffee, chocolate on the nose. Maybe milk chocolate. The taste isn’t awful but, as more than one reviewer has noted, there’s a strange sourness to this that has no place in a milk stout. It’s incongruous. It’s like almost spoiled milk. Ruins it for me. I can taste, if I get past the sour, much of what I picked up in the nose but it’s not worth the effort. Happily, it’s kinda crisp and the sourness fades quickly.
If you like this kind of thing (whatever it is - certainly not a milk stout as I understand it), you could probably do worse. I will never have another.

Jun 10, 2020
Tadwinks from Virginia

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

I think I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't known what it was. It had a sourness I wasn't expecting from a milk stout. It's like tasting a glass of what you think is bourbon and realizing it's iced tea. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. And exactly my cup of tea.

May 16, 2020
neenerzig from Ohio

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Got a 12 oz bottle of this recently. poured into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown color with a deep amber/ruby glow when held up to the light and a tan head that's 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured that settles to a nice big cluster swirl of a film layer of surface foam along with a pretty thick ring lining the inside of the glass and decent lacing. Aromas of roasted malts, with some chocolate and black coffee notes along with some oats and certainly lactose. A very similar flavor profile here, with roasted malts that give way to some chocolate sweetness and black coffee bitterness immediately followed by oats and lactose sugars. This is all rounded out with a bit of earthy hop bitterness. A well balanced flavor profile. The roasted not is very apparent here I feel. Has a somewhat minerally, grainy, also somehow smooth, slightly sticky, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a roasted, black coffee and slightly sweet dark chocolate aftertaste. A good beer here.

Eric

Apr 26, 2020
SaltofOH from Ohio

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Bottle best by April. Great Lakes 30th tulip.

A: pours and opaque jet-black, with little to no head formation. Slight sandy ring around the edge. No lacing, and this is a super clean glass. Perhaps an old bottle.

S: some dark, roasty notes rise up from the glass when you swirl it. A little lactose sourness, but maybe my imagination. A touch of that “flinty” taste I associate with my first experiences with dark beers.

T: surprisingly dry arrival, malty but not sweet. Roasty, but not overly so. Less profound roastiness than say, Founders porter. Surprisingly bitter finish, heavy hand on the hops here.

M: this is the real star of this show; smooth, wet, creamy. Lower carbonation than I’d expect. Hefty, but not super heavy mouthfeel. Lighter side of heavy?

O: a solid stout with all of the texture desired of a milk stout, with relatively low sweetness and higher than average roast and bitterness. GL’s Eddie Fitz porter is sweeter, but similar weight. Founders porter is probably the closest analogue for me, but I’d take Founders over this.

Mar 15, 2020
Eamonn-Cummings3 from New York

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Trillium pub glass.

Look is a dark brown with cola highlights and an off white head.

Aroma is sweet roasted malt.

Taste is astringent roasted malt.

Mar 02, 2020
Brook82 from Ohio

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz bottle, best by 04/2020. Solid black appearance, tan head that left moderate lacing. Sweet leaning aroma, taste mirrored the aroma. Quite smooth and easy drinking. Relaxed feel with nice touch of bitterness to balance it out. Pleasantly surprised with quality of this brew. Would buy again.

Feb 20, 2020
hman43 from North Carolina

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: It pours dark brown with a light brown head. Head retention is good.

Smell: It has roast aromas as the primary aroma. There are also coffee and a bit of sweetness in the aroma.

Taste: It has strong roasted flavors with some coffee richness. There is low sweetness in the flavor.

Feel: It has a medium body with a smooth texture.

Overall, it has roast and some coffee flavors with low sweetness.

Feb 09, 2020
SimplySinister from Florida

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Poured into cylinder. Brew is very dark black brown, nearly opaque (flashlight reveals it to be somewhat translucent), 1 finger quickly dissipating head with minimal lacing, and moderate carbonation.

S - Barley, chocolate, hops, malt, and coffee are present.

T - This is not your average milk stout. In fact, it seems there's a prevalent sourness on the frontend that, in some ways, almost seems acidic. Chocolate and coffee notes are somehwat lost in the mix. I detect a faint hint of walnut and malt. The flavor profile on this one seems slightly limited.

M - Finishes amazingly clean. The lingering mouthfeel of most milk stouts is absent in this one.

D - I'm on the fence. I'm not exactly sure that this beer is what I expected. Several other milk stouts I've enjoyed seem to contain a milky creaminess. This brew tends to be much, much more sour than those other's I've tried. In all truth, I have not had an abundance of experience with this particular style, so I'll refrain from further criticism. However, with all this being said, this is a good stout. It isn't exactly anything to brag about, but it certainly is enjoyable.

Jan 25, 2020
zoowatcher

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good flavor profile that is not overly sweet and gives the drinker a enjoyable stout experience. I find the smell of it to be like smelling a proper coffee ice cream, so sweet with coffee/chocolate hints.

Jan 20, 2020
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drinking this from a bottle poured in to a pint glass.
Appears black, light tan head that subsided quickly.
Smells malty, chocolatey, hints of coffee.
Tastes sweet, chocolate and coffee.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style.
Overall, a nice local milk stout, very good if you can find on tap.

Dec 25, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

All 4's?, yes! I tend to rate stouts/porters higher than most. They are my favorite beer styles, and I like well done versions like this one. Dark black pour with a fast fading head. The scent is a delicious combination of coffee and sweet. The taste leans to sweet, with a surprising light mouthfeel. Aftertaste starts sweet with the bitter at the end

Nov 08, 2019
jporter188 from Ohio

3.34/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer looks great. It has a nice dark color and poured from a bottle it has a nice head of around 3/4 inch. It smells sweet with some strong hints of a dark coffee and malts. As for taste, I just don't think this lived up to the look and smells. It was just to sweet and lacked a bit of balance. The feel was nice. It had a little thickness but it could be more so. Overall, the sweetness of the lactose was just too much. It could be more balanced with the malts and dark coffee flavors.

Sep 24, 2019
EnderFett11 from Virginia

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours with almost no head, and it fades quickly. Almost seems like the color and consistency of Coke. Tastes like a milk stout, but basically the only flavor. Not something I would buy again.

Jul 25, 2019
detgfrsh from Texas

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

From a 12oz bottle. Black color with tan head. Smells of coffee and milk. Thin feel, even for a stout. Sweet lactose flavors mixed with black coffee. A milk stout that really features the lactose smell/taste. Thinner feel than I would like, more comparable to a black lager.

May 29, 2019
jmc65267 from Georgia

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Super delicious stout! I was caught off guard by how much I liked it, I went in with pretty big expectations but it blew by them. The smell might be the best part and that’s not taking anything away from the taste.

Apr 30, 2019
VABA from Virginia

A-Pours a very dark color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has lactose hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a lactose flavor
M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
O-A good Stout

Mar 09, 2019
Reef from South Carolina

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle

Pours a strong three fingers of tan head, relatively large bubbled carbonation, dark brown which admits some light. After a moment the head subsides to a spotty covering and lacing.
Prominent lactose aroma along with coffee, cocoa, dark malt.
Lactose is reduced in the flavor, nuts, coffee, faint char.
Light medium body, bitterness across the tongue,resilient carbonation.
A classic always available in the Carolinas, does not disappoint.

Feb 23, 2019
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.49/5  rDev +16%

A wonderful dark ale that holds up well in its category. First talking about the presentation. The label is not great in my opinion. I feel like it could use some work. I understand the reason behind the logo and ultimately judge the beer on flavor. Moving on to Aroma. On the nose, i am first hit with a big wif of mild chocolate and a rich toasted malt. There is a slight hint of coffee in the aroma and thats all. Lets talk about flavor. As soon as this beer hits your pallet, you get a bitter toasted malt thats coffee-like in flavor and a top end sharp sweetness. Through out the sip there is a nice tang and roasted character that follows all the way through to the end. The end is clean and semi dry. The flavor does not last long on the pallet and remains clean. Now for the body and texture. The beer contains a light amount of prickly carbonation. At best, this beer has a medium body. Not creamy or rich, rather thin for a Stout. This beer is not impressive to me. A big Con I can see with this beer is its lack of complexity. there is NO deep nuance of dried cherry or lingering notes that distinguish this beer from any other Stout. That is my only complaint. Overall this is a tasty Stout however, there are many beers from this style that are just as good if not better. I recommend you try others as well and find what you enjoy! Despite my critique, I did enjoy this beer. Not buying a 6 pack any time soon though.

Feb 15, 2019
Nass from Florida

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big lactose notes, slight bakers chocolate note, mouthfeel could be a little bigger. Not a bad milk stout & I love the the labels on the Duck-Rabbit beers, they are creatively cute. This is one of the few micro breweries where I can honestly say that I have tried all of their beers. Cheers! B

Feb 06, 2019