Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!

Added by brentk56 on 10-08-2004

Ratings: 2,090 |  Reviews: 775

This is a horribly strong beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content. This is a horribly dull beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content. This is a horribly dark beer with no redeeming features including the weak alcohol content.

1.04/5  rDev -72.9%

1.15/5  rDev -70.1%

This is by far the worst thing I have ever drank in my life. The beer smelled and tasted of burnt microwave popcorn. I couldn’t even finish a single bottle. This is the only beer that I wish I could un-taste.

It's really hard to go into a more complete review on this one, because it was quite literally something I had to pour out.

The color wasn't bad? That's not saying much though.

1.75/5  rDev -54.4%

1.95/5  rDev -49.2%

I tried. I really tried to like Duck-Rabbit, but when they continue to ship sub-par cases to Pennsylvania I just can't get behind them. This is the second case I have purchased that was awful. Every bottle in the case of milk stout was bad. It poured with no head, had an extremely watery body, and smelled like stale cigarettes. The exact same thing happened to a case of amber I purchased a few months ago. I will not be buys their beer until I can get closer to their brewery.

The numbers in this review not only reflect the beer, but also how the appear to run their bottling, shipping, and distribution.

2.01/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Won't order again

2.09/5  rDev -45.6%

a: Very dark brown with garnet highlights with with a cream tan head. The head settles to half a finger with a a decent retention period.

s: There is a mild roasted aroma and nearly an equal metallic off aroma. There are some dark fruit aromas in the background, mostly plum like and a slight diacetyl.

t: There are flavors of dark roasted malt and coffee and moderate levels with a moderate lemon cider off-flavor going on. The is a moderately low sweetness and a medium bitterness. the balance finishes off-dry and slightly roasty.

m: very slick and prickly, so I'm thinking more diacetyl, which is ok per style, and some astringency, is not ok per style.

o: I enjoy that this beer is leans towards the bitter and roast side but there are several flaws that should be corrected before I could appreciate the beer and raise the score. I'm not that great a describing the off flavors and aromas I sense but something isn't right with this one.

2.11/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I apparently got one of those overly fizzy batches. No matter how carefully this was poured, it had more than its share of fizz. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed as a result of so much carbonation. It seems something may have gone awry with the brewing of this one.

2.21/5  rDev -42.4%

2.23/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Perhaps I had a bad batch but it just seemed rancid. Hated it.

2.24/5  rDev -41.7%

A: The pour is extremely overcarbonated and produces a massive off-white head with a very dark brown beer below.

S: Smells strangely metallic. Lots of roasted malts (maybe a bit ashy) with just a slight lactose sweetness underneath. Certainly some coffee notes too.

T: A decent enough lactose/sugar sweetness, but not all that impressive. Again, quite roasty with a slight acidity and definite metallic notes. Strong ash characteristics are also present.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is on the high end of medium.

D: Not something that I'd really care to have again. Mediocre or worse in just about all phases.

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.26/5  rDev -41.1%

Very average beer that had a funky taste of spoiled milk curds and baby cribs. It tasted like a shot of milk was poured in a glass of coca-cola and then infumigated with breast milk. How do I describe this other than ick? Just an average beer. How it got a 3.8 rating I'll never know.

2.3/5  rDev -40.1%

2.31/5  rDev -39.8%

A – Light for a milk stout; almost lighter than Duck Rabbit’s brown ale. Dark brown body with cherry highlights. Bone white head settles into a light dusting, but leaves a nice sheet of lace.

S – Sweet milk layered with walnuts and light-roasted coffee. Touch of mulling spice.

T – Looks like this bottle took a turn for the worse. Sour throughout; almost oppressively so at the start. There’s a milky middle with some dark chocolate after the brunt of the funk fades, but there’s still enough sourness to overpower the rest of the action.

M – Medium/light body with low carbonation.

O – Clearly a bad bottle. I’ll have to come back and try this again next time I can find a bottle.

2.32/5  rDev -39.6%

Huge thanks to Bill for including this beer in a recent trade with him! Been waiting too long to try this bad boy. Poured into a snifter to enjoy.

A-Many little bubbles formed an average amount of head. Quickly dissipated down to a thin collar and singular lily pad of bubbles. Color of coffee grounds. Liquid is inky darkness with imaginable red hues. No lacing to speak of.

S- Heavily laced with roasted, burnt, and metallic grains. Very dark in terms of aroma, and I can detect pennies behind that. Faint coffee of the generic store brand variety.

T- Awfully oxidized. The opening notes are copper, iron, and nickel. Should a beer ever be that way to start? As the metals fade the grains come forward only momentarily with a hint of mocha for the finish. Minimal hops, and nothing else. This is almost unpalatable.

I'm forced to continue saturating the metal taste receptors to force myself to enjoy this beer. If I keep sipping at a more than comfortable pace, I'm left with what might be something half-decent. However, I fear that each drink will bring about the stabs of vomit-inducing molecules.

M- Full bodied, creamy, smooth, and velvet. The carbonation was along the lines of beneficial. This is actually well done in terms of feeling. If only the taste was as good.

Some of the residue is absolutely fantastic. I must note that. Sweet candies that remind me of cream and milk.

D- No. If this ever is opened in front of me again, I will only sip it if I'm promised these awful metal flavors are gone. There is something disgusting about this beer, and I hope it isn't intentional. If I had no taste buds, and relied on feeling alone I'd be happy. Sad for me I actually do.

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery