Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!

Added by brentk56 on 10-08-2004

Ratings: 2,084 |  Reviews: 775

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to djrn2 for sending me a handful of beers from Duck-Rabbit.

The beer pours a very dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is full of chocolate and coffee, with some lactose and cream notes thrown in. The flavor is more of the same. The coffee and cream notes are front and center, with some chocolate and light to medium roasted malt also thrown in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice sweet stout.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours black with light tan head that dissipates pretty quickly.

Smell is stong with dark toasted malts and chocolate. Much richer smell than I expected.

Taste is also heavy with toasted malt, chocolate and toffee. Bit of molasses in the mix as well. Pretty complex in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Average to low carbonation.

Overall much better and more complex than expected.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a little too hard into my glass and a pillow of luscious foam sits on top.

Smells of sweet roasted malts, a little chocolate, and maybe some hops? Aroma is inviting.

Taste is pretty damn good. The sweetness of milk sugar balances the bitter roast flavors very well. I was about to give up milk stouts after not so great experiences, but this one is a keeper.

A fair amount of carbonation keeps this one light on the palate.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed at this one. After trying Left Hand and Lancaster Milk Stouts, The Duck-Rabbit and Mikkeller have me convinced to keep trying this style.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Black with light tan head that dissipates quickly. There are hints of brown at the bottom of the glass. There is a decent amount of carbonation and it appears to be clear.
I mostly smell chocolate with some sugary sweetness also a hint of coffee and alcohol, as it gets closer to room temp.
I taste semi sweet chocolate with roasted malt and it finishes with a semi sweet aftertaste.
Medium bodied, bitter sweet malt flavors up front with a dry semisweet finish.
I like that I can get stout aromas and flavors without getting the high alcohol content of an imp stout. A very tasty brew that I would enjoy again.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have been wanting to check this brewery out for a while now so I was pretty happy that my brother found a bottle of Milk Stout in the mix a six section of random grocery store, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's simple, yet well done and it sticks out. It poured a pretty dark black color that hardly let any light come through with a small and faint ruby highlight showing up when held to the light. It had a finger and half worth of slightly dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. This beer looked on par for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of malts that are pretty roasty and have a nice amount of medium sweetness, that impart some nice roasted, chocolate, vanilla, and slight coffee aromas. After that comes a nice amount of lactose that gives this beer a nice creamy aroma and when combined with the heavy chocolate aromas it makes for an aroma similar to chocolate milk. The aroma is really nice and true to style, it's heavy on the chocolate which I like.

T- The flavor seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with lots of nicely roasted malts that has a medium amount of sweetness and is a little less sweet then the aroma. The roasted malts imparted some nice chocolate, coffee, and a slight vanilla flavors with chocolate sticking out the most. After that comes the lactose that imparts a nice creamy and milky flavor that keeps this beer true to style and give it a flavor that reminds me of chocolate milk. I didn't taste any hops and on the finish it had a low amount of bitterness with a roasty and creamy aftertaste that really stuck around. This was a great tasting Milk Stout, this is how this style should taste. sweet, roasty, chocolaty, and creamy, no complaints at all.

M- Very smooth, slightly creamy, medium dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, and it had a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok at best, I wish it it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation to make the mouthfeel true to style.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Milk Stout, it had just about everything think I look for in a good Milk Stout. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, and had enough flavor to hold my attention, I could drink a couple of these in a row and if I had another one I would drink it. I recommend this beer to just about anyone and if your a fan of Milk Stouts, I think this is a must try and worth the effort to obtain. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma and the taste, they were right where they should be at for the style and I liked them a lot. What I liked least about this beer was the Mouthfeel, it was pretty much the only downfall of this beer and if it was a little thicker and less carbonated it would be pretty close to perfect. I would for sure buy this again but Duck-Rabbit isn't distributed in Michigan so who knows when I will have the chance to try to this beer again. I was pretty impressed with this beer and it made for a great first impression for this brewery, I am glad this beer didn't disappoint as I was really looking forward to trying it and I was happy that it lived up to my expectations. Good job Duck-Rabbit this was one awesome beer and you can bet that I will be searching out more of your brews, I see good things in the future for this brewery. One of the better Milk Stouts I have had.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%