Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!

Added by brentk56 on 10-08-2004

Ratings: 2,074 |  Reviews: 774
4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

From notes on 12/24/11:
Best by Feb. 2012; Poured in a pint glass.

A - One inch of light tan, creamy, frothy head; Very dark brown in color; Pretty good lacing left behind

S - Notes of milk chocolate, espresso, roasted coffee beans, and sweet brown sugar

T - Taste is not overpowering, but pleasant nonetheless; Much like the nose, there's milk chocolate, earthy, and brown sugar flavors; The roasty character in the taste lasts from start to finish; Hints of both sweetness and bitterness here as well

M - Some carbonation; Just above medium bodied; Creamy and smooth mouthfeel

O - I liked this milk stout quite a bit. It was certainly creamy and smooth, and had a bit of sweetness that was far from cloying. The flavor wasn't as bold or robust as some others within the style, but was still a delicious blend of chocolate and roasty character. Overall, this beer fits right in with the style and is one I intend to try again soon.

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Not quite opaque black-brown with ruby edge tones...not as dark as most stouts...from appearance I would almost call this a porter if I didn't know better...

S - Coffee, Dark Chocolate - Cocoa - Chocolate Milk, Nuttiness, Smoke, a hint of sweet sugar cookie...Its making my mouth water!

T - Delicious! All of the above aromas are present on my tongue! Tastes great!

M - On the lighter side for a stout...again closer to a porter in my opinion...

Overall - An excellent sweet/milk stout...very balanced...extremely drinkable...I would love to have on Cask or Nitro...would probably be AMAZING!

Note - Drink this at near room temperature to bring out more of those delicious roasted malt qualities!! No colder than 55!

Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Black as night with a tall tan head that slowly settles but never completely goes away.
S: Chocolate, cream, coffee, and roasted malts.
T: Rich creamy chocolate with a hint of coffee. Turns a bit bitter on the end, but very pleasant overall.
M: Medium-bodied though a bit thinner than I would like.
O: A tasty, well-made beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

I have been a fan of Duck Rabbit for years, but this is the first time in the last decade that I got my hands on some. This is a very sessionable Stout. Very few I can think of that I might be able to drink an entire sixer of but this is one of 'em. Great brunt malt smell with just a bit of chocolate in the nose. Very smooth light body that really compliments the taste. Like many people, I too wish I could pick this up in NY. Maybe some day.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-dark ruby red/siena with about a finger of tan head

S-starts out milk chocolate with a hint of coffee at the end

T-just about the opposite of the smell, starts with a lot of chocolate and finishes with a milk chocolate

M-good creamy texture with a somewhat sweet milk chocolate finish

O-very good beer I wish I had regular access to around Iowa

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

A chilled bottle is poured into a pint glass. The beer is colored very dark brown (nearly black) and is quite opaque. A small tan foam head rests on top. It settles to a mere skim, but swirling the glass bring it back quickly.

The aroma has notes of milk chocolate sweetness, but also a decent amount of coffee bitterness.

The flavor certainly has a good base provided by lactose sugars, but what impresses me most about this beer is the bitterness. It's not hoppy, but has a strong finish reminiscent of coffee beans, dark chocolate and earthy root extracts. Some of the sweetness does linger.

This is a full bodied beer, with average carbonation. It does leave my lips a little sticky. There is an unobtrusive coat that tastes sweet.

I like this beer. I think it has a good mix of sweet ad bitter. If you have a chance to try it (especially if you are unfamiliar with the style) I recommend it.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance and Nose - Very dark mahogany with a tiny bit of light getting through. Thin tan head with quick dissipation. Faint nose of toasted malt and cookies.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Flavor is pretty spot-on for a milk stout. Semi-sweet biscuit flavors along with a bit of toffee. Flavors develop a bit at mid-palate into a cola-like flavor with a soft kiss of hops. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. I prefer a creamier beer in this particular style.

I picked this one up on a recent holiday journey. I don't have access to a ton of milk stouts, but I thought this beer was quite good. I really like genuine milk stouts and this is one that is nicely-crafted and relatively easy to find. It's not on the same level as 3F Moloko, but it's a heckuvalot cheaper and a heckuvalot easier to find. If you like milk stouts, don't pass this one up.

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery