Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

The Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout is a traditional full-bodied stout brewed with lactose (milk sugar). Because lactose is unfermentable by brewer's yeast, it remains in the beer. The subtle sweetness and fullness of flavor imparted by this sugar balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains that give this delicious beer its black color. All year long, Milk Stout is our number one selling beer!

Added by brentk56 on 10-08-2004

Ratings: 2,072 |  Reviews: 773

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by 2/12) into a nonic.

A: Pours a nice rich black color with some light shining through. 3 fingers of huge creamy light tan head. Some lacing left behind as well. Great looking beer.

S: Starts off with some nice roasted coffee notes. Chocolate is present as well, maybe some toffee? It all quickly fades though unfortunatly.

T: Very toasty and bitter overall. Not much sweetness at all here. I like a touch of sweetness in my milk stouts. Still a decent flavor profile though.

M: Silky smooth overall but a tad thin. Low carbonation but slightly prickly. Not bad at all.

Overall I expected a little more from this beer. Still very drinkable and tasty but just not what I was hoping for.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A: very dark brown with a ruby tinge showing in the light.

S: Milk chocolate and molasses.

T: Milk chocolate flavors and malt ball sweetness. Good carbonation and a prickle of bitterness (from hops). This is like a really cold (muted) malt shake with just a touch of anise.

M: Prickly and quick

O: More bitterness than I would have expected (which I like), though all together this doesn't show a whole lot of depth of flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I didn't pour this beer that aggressively, but the head nearly overflowed. The complexion is as close as you can get to black for a stout.

The aroma reminds me of milk chocolate. No hops detected.

The taste follows the nose. This is a chocolatey, creamy beer. I'm OK with this. There's just enough roast to complement the creamy sweetness.

I've paired this with some dark chocolate, and the two are an excellent match. This is a good example of the style.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

extra from gordianknot, thanks man!

pours almost black, less-than-average head, but more than made up for with staying power. nose initially didn't do much for me, but as it warmed, the toasted malts and a surprising hint of alcohol (at only 5.7%). taste is sweet, creamy malts. a bit of earthy undertone. a little too thin for my tastes, but the carbonation is well-done and makes it feel a bigger than it is.

glad to try it, solid effort.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Let me cut to the chase... I love this beer. It is my favorite beer in the United States (yeah, it's that good)

Obviously, I am a stout guy, if you are not into stouts, then you are going to feel quite differently about this.

This aroma of this beer is just wonderful... I really wish they would sell it as a perfume! If my wife wore it as a perfume... well, we would have a lot more kids!

The taste though is where this beer earns its reputation. There is no gimmick to this beer. I really don't feel like any corners were cut in the brewing process. I particularly love this beer during fall and winter and served at about 50 degrees.

As for mouthfeel, this beer is SMOOTH! Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout is like a snuggie for my tongue!

Ok, that's enough, quit reading my review and go get this beer! If it is sold-out it is probably because I was just at the store and picked up every six pack of it that they had!

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery