Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Duck-Rabbit Rabid DuckDuck-Rabbit Rabid Duck

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The Duck-Rabbit's Imperial Stout is extremely big and robust. This special beer is thick, jet black and oily in texture. Complex flavors of roast malts dominate: bitter chocolate and espresso coffee especially. There is also a very big hop presence both for bittering and for aroma. At 10% alcohol by volume, this brew is made to be sipped and savored!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-08-2005

Reviews: 506 | Ratings: 855
4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

The Rabid Duck pours a deep black color with a one and a half finger dark, tan head. The head eventually settles to a mere covering on the beer and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is full of roasted malts and chocolate. There is a bit of alcohol sharpness combined with a hint of darker fruits. At 10% ABV, a bit of alcohol is to be expected, and it is masked pretty well.

The taste starts off pretty sweet with the sweet malts and some darker fruits (plum, raisin, prune) coming through but then the roasted flavors with hints of coffee and chocolate start to come out. The alcohol again comes into play, a bit more than in the nose. The end is slightly bitter and lingers for a bit with the coffee persisting to the end.

The Rabid Duck is a solid example of a Russian Imperial Stout.

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Big thanks goes out to BulbMan! This one took me by surprise.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours and dark chocolate, almost black color with dark purple tints. Almost no head to speak of.

S: Definitely chocolate, dark fruits like raisins and prunes, mild smokey scent, with random notes of light booze but it's not consistent.

T: Smokey chocolate goodness! Not getting the boozy taste like I do with some other Imperial stouts.

M: Medium body with minimal carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. Slight chocolate aftertaste that isn't too sweet or overpowering.

O: If this was available here, I would buy this numerous times. Really tasty and sweet but not sugar bomb sweet. Overall, a really good beer and I can't believe it's a 10% ABV. Nice job Duck-Rabbit!

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Edit on 3/21/08 by an brew sent via trade with brent56 - STILL a top notch brew, dam, TRY ONE!

n easy pour, but what a massive foamy head on top of this near black brew. Sheets of lace slide down the ol'Corsendonk tulip.

Very strong aroma of chocolate, coffee, and a dark fruit basket. Yep, sweet notes of the previous, raisons and dark fruits are making themselves present in this great brews. Smooth as can be, it's hard not to keep reaching for a sip every moment or two. No shit, this is a top of the line RIS!

Thick and rich, no trace of the 10% alcohol. A nice brew sampled with some Southwest black bean chicken soup -perfect with the Sunday football.

Thanks for the brew, received courtesy of the CEO / Old farters BIF from unclejedi

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours with a big yummy looking milky cocoa brown head. The beer is thick and black and the lace doesn't hesitate to stick. Aroma is a pleasure to sniff and nicely complex. Big dark chocolate, roasty with some undetermined meaty spices, and sweet dark purpley fruits. Taste matches the nose well and doesn't hold back. There's a large elongated bitterness that mixes with the alcohol smoothly. Good velvety creamy texture floats in your mouth excited lightly by soft but tingly carbonation. A nice coating is left behind as a yummy reminder for you to go in for the next sip. Body is nice and full but has a light soft chocolately-like feel. Very drinkable large abv or not.

Definitely something to look forward to.

Such a fantastic stout!

A - Very dark brown, almost black. Clear, with a lingering tannigh frothy head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

S - Chocolate. A little bit of coffee, and a little bit of toffee. Perfumy alcohol.

F/M - Rich, dark bitter chocolate with a touch of caramel sweetness and a pleasantly firm bitterness. Alcohol is smooth and warming in the belly; very enjoyable. Rich and full bodied, the way an Imperial Stout should be. Dry finishing, clean and not heavy on the aftertaste.

D - Exceptional for a big ass stout like this. Although it could be a tad less warming, as the alcohol is really the only thing interfering with the rest of the beer, but just barely. It is a fine line between pleasant and over the top.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Cap nod to PTC on the box, quite nice.

Been looking forward to this one for a while now. Pours thick black with amocha colored head that quickly drops to a collar. Smells of molasses, maraschino cherry, with nice stab of deep roast. Tastes very nice. Flavors are very well melded. Starts off sweet with sweetened roast and molasses, moves into dark fruits, raisiny, cherry, then it immediately gets roastier and earthier, and a bit spicy as its dries. Lots of roast through the finish, with some definite grain bitterness as well as hops, yet still completely smooth. Mouthfeel is oily, chewy, moderate to low carbonation, viscous, but not overly so. I like it. Alcohol is present in some very pleasant alcohol spiciness but nowhere else. This is very drinkable, and one of my favorite imperials thus far as it fits a lot of the characteristics i enjoy in a RIS, particularly the drying finish. This also happens to flesh out wonderfully as it warms.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked this up at Fathead's in Pittsburgh.

A- Really dark as it pours out into my snifter. I poured with out any precautions as most RIS's or beers with big ABVs dont have heads that easily get out of control. This one is no exception. I did get a mildly large collar floating around the edge of a thick, black beer.

S- I scrolled through a few of the other reviews. Everyone is saying the nose is intense. I totally agree. This aroma is hugely powerful. I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap.
The nose is loaded with licorice, over ripened dark fruits like prunes, molasses, burnt sugar and plenty of alcohol, actually, lots of alcohol. This smell stings the nostrils.

T- Woo-wee! Big like the nose. Lots of alcohol. Good thing its only 10% because it feels like it could be getting close to twice that. Really nice dark chocolate plays off candied fruits, prunes, anise/licorice.

M- Warm, full bodied, nearly flat. But thats OK, a big, boozy stout is allowed, better yet, supposed to have low carbonation. While this beer is sticky, its not nearly as sticky as you would think. Its just faintly sticky. Im glad too, many big, sweet stouts are far to sticky (....Hunahpu...).

D- Man I wish I had another of these. The alcohol makes no attempt at hiding but I love that about this beer. Its big, its mean, and I love it.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Rabid duck pours out the standard dark color with a deep black color with a active rising tan head that got up to 2 inches. This creamy looking foam receded after a few leaving a skim on the surface. Some thin lines of lace on the glass.

S- A heaping of roasted malt is on the surface which also gives way to a chocolate scent. Creamy milk chocolate with a backdrop of cherries hidden away. Some alcohol as well. Getting just an underlay of hops from the fresh batch. All in all pretty sweet.

T- First sips, I got a nice roastiness from the malts along with a semi charcoal taste. A bit of heat as well. After some more this faded though and this duck turned very sweet. A bunch of chocolate and a milky cream essence. Some cherry flavor interwoven. Some grains mixed in there as well and just a touch of alcohol.

M- This one is on the slick and smooth side and is somewhere above medium bodied. thick enough for an RIS IMO. Otherwise this starts off roasty and becomes sweet after time. The alcohol does not intrude and for 10% I am impressed.

D- This stuff is good and damn drinkable for 10%. it's pretty much perfect and I could of drank more. I may need to find some on my next time down.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a great deep black color with slight garnet tinges, and has wonderful head and some nice lacing. Excellent deep scent, a great chocolate undertone, but with a hint of alcohol, too. Great deep taste, nice roasted grains with a great chocolate flavor and a warming alcohol taste at the end. Wonderfully smooth, althoug I'd have been a little happier with less of the alcohol flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a Duck Rabbit snifter, this beer looks awesome! A solid, frothy tan head rests atop an opaque black stout. Though the full head dissipates to a patchy covering, the spotted top's darkness distinguishes this beer. The head is really dark brown, and it screams RIS!

The smell is so very good, and also so fitting of a an RIS. Catherine would be so pleased. It's like dark fruit (plums) with fig roots and chocolate. That sounds kinda disgusting, but the aroma is awesome. I like neither plums nor fig (or fig roots, or even fig newtons), but this beer smells au natural like that with a sum far greater than its parts. It might not be like a candle (a la Founders Breakfast Stout), but it smells like a Russian Imperial should be.

This beer is fresh--the first I've found from this year's batch, and there's a tart type of sour semblance of ripe plums. Milk sugar and a chocolate-like component provide balance. It's not chocolatey like a chocolate bar, but that flavor is there like liquid poured thru a chocolate bean. It's sweet like bitter chocolate, fruity like a plum, and complex like an ancient riddle. Like most big stouts, the layering of flavors will increase with time. Still, fresh out the barrel, this is an undeniably good beer.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. This is among the best beers in a 12oz bottle, and it holds its own among even the baddest of big boy beers. It's like a milk stout on acid. Though I'm no Michael Jackson, this beer is as multi-faceted as a fine wine. Paul could put this under wax and no one would bat an eye. It feels fantastic.

It's big and bad with depth. Undoubtedly I'm a homer, and this is the best beer in the Carolinas. Even for a Russian Imperial, it's a complex beverage, and I suppose that detracts somewhat from drinkability. For a double-digit ABV RIS, however, it's one of few of which I'd have two.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

one of my all time favorites and i was lucky enough to be able to try it on tap again recently. served in a pint glass and enjoyed tremedously.

pours out an almost totally dark black. a good two fingers of head that were on top of the glass from the first pour never do fade away in any way at all, really just coating the sides nicely and leaving tons of brown sticky foam

aroma is of dark fruit, tons of dark malts, chocolate, hints of caramel an toffee, plums, a hint of smoke, truly a wonderful beer in ever sense of the word. each sip seems to bring with it another flavor that you just cannot get enough of, warming, soothing, relaxing and creamy feel just makes it a pleasure to sip as the last drops leave a touch of dark plums and a hint of hops in their wake.

overall this is hands down one of the best of the style, i never shy away from this whenever i can get it. really just a delight.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

This is probably the 50th beer I've reviewed that came to me courtesy of my friend Russ, aka 2DogBrew. In the numerous trades and countless beermails exchanged, Russ has confirmed what I've always suspected-- he is just one hell of a great guy. Thanks a lot my friend! (I'm even serving this in the DFH snifter you sent as a birthday present!)

I served this just slightly chilled-- from cellar into fridge for about 15-20 minutes.

The beer is dark. No doubt. Very dark. This is the liquid equivalent of Toni Johnson's heart (she was the first girl to ever break my heart, and is responsible for numerous lousy songs written by your friendly beer-reviewer. She even inspired the name of my first band- Avoiding Toni). No light passes through this liquid, and only the slightest deep red hue is visible in the legs. Duck-Rabbit is the self proclaimed "Dark Beer Experts," and so far, I'm not going to argue. The powdered cocoa colored head started as 3 fingers and slowly settled into a frothy cap-- a good swirl brings it back to damn-near its former glory. Unlike Toni who has probably gotten fat and developed big trucker hips after birthing a couple punk-rock-star babies.

The smell is huge bitter cocoa. Wow. Really dry and roasty malts, some chocolate covered espresso beans, and dark, unsweetened cocoa. This beer is a beast. A delicious, gorgeous beast. There is some heavy hitting carbonation in this beer-- it is gaseous. I feel a bit like Ignatius J. Reilly-- in the sense that my valve is going to slam shut and I will need to spend several hours in the tub to recuperate from such grievous assault! Fortuna has spun me low this time!

I wonder if Toni would like this beer.... I'll be honest, it has been nearly 15 years, so I can't even claim to know who she is now or what has become of her life-- but I'm going to say no, she wouldn't like this beer. She is probably tucked away in some funky little coffee shop smoking Capris and drinking a Half-Caf Soy-Chai Latte while reading some drivel by the likes of Ayn Rand... Atlas shrugged, eh? good read? Feeling empowered? Ha.

I wish that I could travel back in time to tell my 17 year old self know that someday I would drink a fine beer and laugh at about this whole thing. Alas, I can only enjoy the beer and reminisce about times long forgotten, and perhaps ponder what tragedies Toni has encountered in her life since breaking my heart on Feb. 7th. (I only remember the date because it happens to be the name of one of the songs she inspired). But, like this very fine beer, I'm not really that bitter. I have some sweet and soft moments too.

To be quite honest, I'm more saddened by the fact that I only have 3 or 4 sips of this beer left. It is really warming up to nearly room temperature, and I'm prolonging this review to ensure I enjoy every last drop.

The body is thick. Not the thickest beer I've ever had-- but certainly thick. Lots of carbonation helps this feel creamy and smooth-- just right. I am happy that I have another bottle or two laying here somewhere... This beer is an excellent sipper. I can't wait to see what happens next year when I crack open the next one.

It has been fun taking this small trip down memory lane, and even more fun reviewing this beer. It is now time for bed-- I have only 8 hours to recover and get back to "able to go to work Jeff" mode.

Stay thirsty my friends.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a very opaque black color with a deep tan head with great retention for the entire beer. The nose is a nice combination of roasted grain, chocolate, and dark fruit. When I was almost finished I got a slight smokey scent as well. The taste is of roasted malt, bitter coffee, sweet chocolate, and slight smokey touches as well. I really enjoyed the complexity in this beer with all of those flavors combining quite well. The mouthfeel is very creamy with low carbination. A silky touch of warming alcohol is well done.

Overall a great RIS and very nice for the style.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to BigTomZ for the bottle. Tasted 10 September 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours black. No light coming through this, except a hint of brown at the very edges. Dark dark dark. Half-finger of medium-tan head, decent retention and lacing.

Smell is big, strong, and sweet. I get berries and molasses, with a bit of smoke lurking behind them. Very nice - complex and balanced.

Taste is big and juicy. Blackberries burst into my mouth, followed by ripe plums. Powerfully sweet and fruity, with a nice dark/light sense. I love the berries, and it's a flavor I haven't encountered in an imperial stout before. Finishes delicately bitter. Yum.

Mouthfeel is strong and heavy. Definitely chewy, and leaves a film on my tongue that makes me feel like I'm still chewing it 30 seconds later. I'd like a touch more carbonation, but otherwise it's excellent.

A delicious, (very) sweet, fruity stout. I think it's just a hair over the top, or I'd be giving it 5s in some of these categories.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

2008 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Jet black, 1/2 inch head

S: Chocolate, coffee

T: Malt, coffee, nuts, toffee, smokey

M: Very smooth.

D: A great take on the RIS style, really like the diversity of this kind of beer. A perfect night cap and very enjoyable. Recommend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an impervious pitch black color with a tight, creamy cocoa head - large at first but falling to a soft, whispy cap. Smells deeply malty, rich and fruity. Like chocolate cake topped with berries and molasses, black coffee on the side. Bold, dark flavors of roasted bitter chocolate and espresso carefully balanced with dark fruits. Some alcohol emerges as it warms, but it blends so well with the flavors, it's hardly noticeable except for a slight warmth in the throat. Smooth mouthfeel is a little less than full bodied and appropriately bitter.

Damn good. Nice to have such a great local Imperial Stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a recent trade. Poured at cellar temp into my trusty Bruery snifter.

A: Deep, deep brown with a nice cocoa-colored head that sticks to the edges and forms a permanent ring of head. Nice lacing present.

S: Two words: roasted chocolate.

T: Sweet chocolate that gives way to roasted coffee and malty notes in the finish. Great taste, just what I love from a non-BA stout.

M: Nice sticky thickness. Well carbonated.

O: Instantly one of my favorite RISs. Right mix of sweetness and roastiness. Will look for more of this through trades.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I think it was NCSUdo that gave me this.

Pours a nice 3 finger head with great lacing that sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is of chocolate and caramel malts, roasted malts, mint, tofee, and black licorice.

Taste is sweet up front from tofee, pale and caramel malts. It is balanced by a chocolate bitterness followed by a roasted bitterness with undertones of mint and black licorice. Hop bitterness is slightly citrusy and a little grassy and is kept moderately low just to cut the sweetness. Very well done.

Mouthfeel is creamy but a little bit dry. Carbonation is good and abv is pretty decently hidden. The alcohol cuts away a little of the creaminess, but is not a nuisance.

A damn fine RIS. I'd like another.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Thank you to gford217 for this bottle!

Poured from a 12 ounce brown bottle into an oversized snifter.
Color is black as night, no light penetration. A very dark, 2 finger brown head forms atop a rigerous pour. Spotty almost absent lace.

Aromas are very chocolaty. Its a well balanced chocolate, not just sweet but also including cereal grains. A bit of grain alcahol aromas.
Some nutty earthy hop aroma.

Damn!
Smooth as all get out. Super rich and heavy creamyness. Carbonation is there, yet it isnt there. It smoooth.
Butterscotch, sweet vanilla cream, oaky wood flavors, at the swallow a rush of toasted oak, and toasted chocolate grain. Mollases, and more butterscotch chips.
Theres is a grassy hay flavor, some bittering and a long linger of dark chocolate.

Thanks again Grant, this is a delicious desert to the omelet I just cooked.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance is opaque black with a tiny dark brown head that quickly fades to a small ring around the glass.

Aroma of heavily roasted malt and dark chocolate along with molasses and dark fruit. Some smoke in there as well.

Flavors of dark fruit and roasted malt along with dark chocolate. Also some coffee notes and smoke come through. Bitterness perfectly balances out the sweetness with a little ash flavor on the finish. Mouthfeel is full.

Overall this is a top of the line RIS. It is probably one of the best I have had.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Aged 1+ years. A solid imperial stout. Warming, boozy, hot chocolate. A fine, fine beer worth drinking many of (over time in small amounts). Tastes as though it were BA, was it?

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%

Decided to review this tonight, have enjoyed it many times. The smell is awesome: Cherries, Figs, Chocolate, A little roastiness and a little citrus... awesome, the cherries and chocolate really standout. The taste follows suit. Smooth, thick and rich with a nice bitter chocolate flavor balancing all of it.

I love NC but we don't exactly stand out on the beer map... this beer is awesome though and I'm glad I can get it and store it away for a special occasions.

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Thank you tpd975 for this BeerPowerball experience!!

I used a snifter for this and got a nice inch and half or so head. This looks like coffee with a layer of chocolate foam on top. The color is dark, dark brown. You can't see through this, but you won't bother trying as you'll be staring at this lovely head.

Smells is some alcohol, plums and fruit, burnt caramel...it's good. Reminds of WWS from DFH, without as much alcohol bite. Taste is similar as well, but more mellow. It's much more fruity that I would expect and that is awesome. This isn't all chocolate malt and coffee, for a change.

This is pretty thick on the palate and leaves a coating in your mouth along with a bit of an acid taste. I like it, sort of like a beer lollipop, in a good way.

I'm not sure I could drink more than one, mainly due to the EtOH content, but it's good. I would buy it if I had that option.

I am so thrilled to have gotten some Duck Rabbit brews via Beer Powerball. If this is any indication, I am going to be begging for more.

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a nice oily black with a brownish head with just a little bit of lacing. Smells of chocolate and coffee. Tastes of the coffee, chocolate, burnt malts. Not as smooth as a milk stout but damn good. This is more of a sipping brew.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thank you Trever(advent) for this gem!

Pours thick and black, with a surprisingly big, fluffy chocolate color head. Retention is great.

The smell is rich chocolate, and coffee beans, with some hints of IBUs. Roasted malts and some anise as well. No alcohol smell at all.

The taste is dark chocolate, espresso, licorice. Slight bitterness, but more of a coffee/chocolate bitterness than from hops. There is nearly no boozy taste, but you can feel the warm bubbling in your throat after a few sips.

This is full bodied, thick, creamy, coating and delicious! Very good drinkability for this big beer!

Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery