Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The Duck-Rabbit's Imperial Stout is extremely big and robust. This special beer is thick, jet black and oily in texture. Complex flavors of roast malts dominate: bitter chocolate and espresso coffee especially. There is also a very big hop presence both for bittering and for aroma. At 10% alcohol by volume, this brew is made to be sipped and savored!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-08-2005

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Served in a snifter.

Jumped on this guy the second I saw it listed as being on tap at ChurchKey. Pours a deep opaque black with about a finger of tan foamy head. The lacing that will eventually form is very nice. The smell is of dark malts (grainier than usual), coffee, chocolate, and even a hint of vanilla bean. The taste is pretty similar, with notes of light coffee, slightly bitter cocoa, faint tobacco, and those dark malts from the nose, though they're wheatier here than before. Up 'til now, things have gone according to the usual RIS plot. Where things deviate is in the mouthfeel. Usually these dark beasts are thick, chewy, even crunchy, and coat the mouth very thickly. This guy is decidedly lighter than usual, more toward a light medium than anything heavy; the low carbonation is pretty normal, and there is some coating, but not as much as one would expect. Still, despite this unexpected variance on the style, the overall brew is very tasty and very drinkable.

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Pitch black color. Only the slightest remnants of a tan head which fall quickly. I know DR likes minimal carbonation, but sheesh.

4.5 S: Lots of dark chocolate and burnt aromas. Tons of roasted barley. The alcohol comes across as if it were bourbon barrel aged. Prune like fruitiness. Pretty good.

2.5 T: Unfortunately, the taste isn't nearly as good as the nose. Burntness and roasted barley dominate without nearly enough balancing crystal and fruity sweetness. In fact, it's unbalanced to the point that it's barely drinkable.

2.5 M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Would prefer a thicker, chewy body but that isn't what it is. Not smooth as the alcohol and burntness blast the aftertaste.

2.0 D: I wasn't expecting this to be the mess that it is. I love burnt roasty flavors, but this is too much without anything to put it in check.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Ever since I had Duck Rabbit at ACBF last year I've been loving it. I got a bunch in various trades, but haven't dipped into them too much yet. Got some of these thanks to kwakwhore and portia99.

A: Very little carbonation as it forms just a head covering of dark rich foam on a very aggressive pour. It is a super pitch black color with legs that would make Cheryl Tiegs blush.

N: I could def smell it on the pour from a couple feet away. A dark luscious super thick viscous like stout. Lots of dark chocolate malt, perhaps black patent malt, lots of roast, tons of sweetness and loaded with malts. A touch of dark fruit, fruit so dark it no longer exists since it couldn't create antimatter that could oppose it. A touch of booze to go with the dark molasses and caramelized brown sugar and malt aroma. And even a touch of fresh cracked crystal malt aroma.

T: Oh boy, can't wait, here goes... pretty sweet but not too much. Very much tons and tons of loaded malts. A roast flavor, but not as much as I thought. A chocolate flavor, with bakers choc, a slight creamy chocolate milk, and bittersweet chocolate, then juicy fruit flavors, and some bitter earthy charred roasted scorched malt flavors. Some coffee and touch of vanilla. I would think of it as thick and syrupy, but it's not so much, more thick less syrupy. WIth all that comes a slight boozy taste that doesn't hit as hard as it should for 10%, but with how rich and thick it is you can tell it was up there in OG. A touch of some licorice and minerality come after some of the flavors build up on the tongue.

M: Thick, pretty viscous and luscious, almost no carbonation though.

F: Long lingering bitterness from all the roasted charred earthy malts and perhaps a touch of hops. Still somewhat sweet but not too much on the finish. A nice roasted flavor comes out a little more at first on the finish, but fades and comes up with some nice rich chocolate flavors. I get a lot of baker's chocolate, dark chocolate, the creamy center chocolate, luscious chocolate... OK I guess I made that last one up, but you get the idea.

Despite that the bottle tells me no refill (sad face) and drink by 04/2009, this is delicious now. I really think this is an aging style beer, and I have no idea how Duck Rabbit can think otherwise. It's still even a little heavy and could use more time to settle a bit. At 10% and probably an OG of like 1.120, and despite not really having a boozy taste, it is really heavy and a little hot. I will try to save my others and really enjoy them in a few years' time.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Formed a thin layer of dirty tan fizz on top of an opaque, black body. The tiny head faded into nothing almost immediately.

The nose has chocolate and licorice up front with roasted malts and coffee in the background.

Lots of complex flavors here...starts off with a fig/dark fruit punch that slowly fades into a sweet molasses middle. The taste finishes with a roasted black coffee kick. The aftertaste has a familiar alcohol burn that lasts until the next sip.

The mouth feel is thick and oily with little to mild carbonation.

Is this drinkable, yeah, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Picked this up at Fathead's in Pittsburgh.

A- Really dark as it pours out into my snifter. I poured with out any precautions as most RIS's or beers with big ABVs dont have heads that easily get out of control. This one is no exception. I did get a mildly large collar floating around the edge of a thick, black beer.

S- I scrolled through a few of the other reviews. Everyone is saying the nose is intense. I totally agree. This aroma is hugely powerful. I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap.
The nose is loaded with licorice, over ripened dark fruits like prunes, molasses, burnt sugar and plenty of alcohol, actually, lots of alcohol. This smell stings the nostrils.

T- Woo-wee! Big like the nose. Lots of alcohol. Good thing its only 10% because it feels like it could be getting close to twice that. Really nice dark chocolate plays off candied fruits, prunes, anise/licorice.

M- Warm, full bodied, nearly flat. But thats OK, a big, boozy stout is allowed, better yet, supposed to have low carbonation. While this beer is sticky, its not nearly as sticky as you would think. Its just faintly sticky. Im glad too, many big, sweet stouts are far to sticky (....Hunahpu...).

D- Man I wish I had another of these. The alcohol makes no attempt at hiding but I love that about this beer. Its big, its mean, and I love it.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a midnight black with very little head. The beer appears to be viscous and thick, the epitome of an Imperial Stout.

The aroma is quite strong. The alcohol is very evident, which is kind of scary, as is a sweetness that promises big flavor.

Upon first taste I'd say this is a boozy Imperial Stout. This usually isn't a good thing as far as I'm concerned but there is a lot of flavor here to balance the flavor. This is a sweet stout. I can taste a fruitiness that is quite rich, mainly raisin and fig. There is also faint caramel and distant hoppiness.

The mouthfeel is smooth and full with very little carbonation.

I'd say that this is a good Imperial Stout but not a great one.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Sampled at the 2010 Stout tasting in a Orval Chalice.

12oz bottle from 2009.

Very black with a small light brown head. Nose is sharp, boozy, sweet and delicious.

Taste is very smooth, mouthfeel is supper crisp and warm, makes it super drinkable for an RIS. There's lots of coffee with light chocolate bitterness on the finish.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Another Southern gem from a remarkable trader, mrandypandy.

If my motor oil looked like this it would be time for a change, but here it is the perfect look. Thick, languid, bareley producing a skim of head, the witches brew of big stout daydreams.

Smell is strong flavored to say the least. A huge anise/licorice battles with alcohol, burnt caramel, molasses, some tarty yeast and estery overripe fruit notes, hints of chocolate, and an earthy bitter below the surface. The aroma is this brew's standout feature. What a bouquet!

The taste is excess exemplified in a big stout. It's like...if one stick of dynamite does the job o'kay, than ten sticks of dynamite will do it that much better. Luckily I enjoy blatant exess, but I can see some people having trouble with an enormously thick beer this overflowing with flavors. It's an extreme blast of dark caramel, licorice, burnt chocolate, yeasty tart, alcohol spice and warmth, and a deep dank bitter that takes the sip to the depths of stout hell. I hated this stout at the first sip, cellar temp., but it has reassembled my palate with its blatant excess, and allowed me to understand it as it approaches room temp. The bitter unleashes in this, the burnt notes assert, the sweet and fruit burrow into it all, and their excess creates a pleasure I experience, and prize, and rate highly. Others may think this is too... too.... (much?)

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of maple syrup, viscous to make Valvoline envious, barely carbonated. What more could you ask?

Drinkability is moot for stouts. Period. I'm rating it as a sipper deluxe, for its looong finish, thickness, alcohol strength.

Impression: This stout ain't for the finger food crowd. Bigggg, insane, flavors here! Howdaydooodat?

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Best before March 2010. Unfortunately, I do not remember who sent me this, so whoever you are - thank you.

The pour is black with reddish brown highlights. A dense, brown head is present, thick and creamy, receding to a disk rather quickly, leaving a little lace. Solid stuff.

The nose is solid. Dark chocolate, some coffee liqueur and licorice are immediately noticeable. Creamy, a touch of faded citrus hop character is present. Dark fruits are also noticeable with some raisins and plums, though not excessive. Alcohol is noticeable too. Good stuff, this.

The palate opens with plenty of cocoa and dark fruit, plums and raisins. The tartness was a bit of a surprise, mildly like an unripened fruit. Chocolate and coffee appear mid-palate, with some dark caramel character before a long, bitter finish. The finish is noticeable ashy, which doesn't count as a plus in my book. Alcohol is also noticeable. The body is quite full, with a very soft and gentle carbonation, this is the best aspect of this beer after the nose. However, the ashy finish does take away from the experience.

All told, the reason I made it through 6oz of this was so that I could give it a proper review. If it showed up at a tasting, I'd have poured it out a lot sooner.

2.19/5  rDev -44.4%

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from ericwo. Thanks, Eric!

A: Pours a nearly pitch black with reddish-maroon translucence at the very edges. The head... well, there is none. It's not a flat beer; there was a hiss as I uncapped it, and the vigorous pour produced some very slow-rising effervescence on the top of the brew as dark mocha bubbles came out of solution, but they were scattered at best. Not exactly a cap. Still, the beer had nice legs upon swirling.

S: Tart dark fruit -- plums, raisins -- couple with molasses and brown sugar. Coffee. A little booze.

T: Tart dark fruit, for sure. These guys really like that, don't they? Their Baltic Porter couldn't pull it off, but here the flavors meld better into the molasses and brown sugar body of the beer. Coffee provides some lingering contrast near the finish, along with ash. Unfortunately, that's about all there is to the taste; it's not particularly complex. Plus, as it warms, it gets more muddled and soon only ashy dark fruit is left. Weird.

M: I have to give big props to the mouthfeel. Yeah, it's not an accomplishment making a "flat" beer, but it's a heavy one, and the bubbles -- while trace -- are subdued enough to let the beer's flavors do the talking. I like it.

D: largadeer told me this is the worst imperial stout he's ever tasted. Personally, I don't see it; it's below average, but nothing outrageous. I wouldn't have it again.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle dated best by April 2009, oops.

A: Black, possibly dark brown, with a dark brown head that dissipates into soap suds. Flat.

S: Chocolate, prunes, booze, and a little coffee.

T: Sweet malts and raisins upfront followed by burnt, sludgy coffee. Leaves an unpleasant bitter taste in you mouth.

M: The best feature of this beer. Surprisingly carbonated enough to fit the style and really smooth.

D: I guess it's not bad for 10% ABV but I didn't want to finish this bottle.

Overall, this beer did not hold up with age. If I ever get this again I'd like to try a fresh one.

EDIT: I did consume a fresh one on 7/28/10 that was marked best by March 2011 and it was much better. I averaged the reviews together.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz bottle recieved in trade

a-Dark black with tan head that goes away quickley.

s-coffee dark fruit, bitterly burnt

t- bitter and strong with tons of flavor, taste like burnt coffe. Absolutely delicious

M-very carbonated for a stout, but relatively good

D-Pretty high for me. I really enjoyed this one

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

I am re-reviewing this, 2/14/10 on the first one 6/7/10 this time.

A - dark as night with a mid-dark tight foam that leaves solid lacing.

S - Roasted malt smokey chocolate goodness.

T - smokey roasted malt and mocha coffee. A little bitter in the after taste.

M - good coating, even of the teeth, which is odd. Not much tingle at the start but then in the after taste you get a bit of tingle all around.

D - it is a little strong in both flavor and alcohol to drink too many of.

___

A - nice and dark, good foam.

S - full rich chocolate roasted malt.

T - powerful and complex. I like the start of the flav9r, but then there was an off after taste that I could not place. However, this is one deep and powerful flavor. You will either like it or hate it. I do -it see much middle ground.

M - slight tingle on the sides of the tongue early followed by a tingle in the back of the throat in the after taste.

D - I like this as o one, maybe two a night out... but not as a only drink of the night.

3.52/5  rDev -10.7%

Picked this one up in Pittsburgh at Fat Head's Bottle Shop.

A: Pours an opaque pitch black color. The edges of the glass produce a dark brown hue. There is absolutely no head, foam, or lacing, regardless of how vigorously I pour it. Slightly disappointed in the lack of head, even quickly fleeting head, as this dark creamy foam is one of my favorite aspects of a RIS's appearance.

S: Roasted malts are there in abundance. There are also notes of dark fruits, vanilla, molasses, and some warm booziness.

T: Roasted malts are somewhat dominant, but are quickly followed up by some slightly sour plums and raisins. Some coffee and molasses flavors come in towards the finish as they round out in some warm alcohol with a touch of vanilla.

M/D: Slightly thin mouthfeel and texture, which is surprising due to the style and the high ABV. The lack of carbonation isn't upsetting, nor is it surprising after the pour. Even so, this beer is enjoyable, and the vanilla is a really nice touch in the finish.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Received in a trade with cpetrone84...thanks Chris. I always see the duck first; I wish it was the rabbit that jumped out at me, but for some reason, it's always that damn duck. Drank this one out of my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass.

Poured opaque black with a one finger, fairly dense, darker tan head. Head receded rapidly leaving a lid of tan bubbles that remained until it bottomed out. A very small amount of non sticky lacing left behind.

Smells of dark roasted malts and chocolate. Has a very nice smell with just a slight sting from the alcohol. As I get further into my glass the smell of dark fruits reveals itself.

The taste starts sweet before quickly being dominated by the roasted malts. A semi-bitter chocolate rounds this one out. The alcohol is more pronounced in taste as compared to the smell and becomes even more prominent as this beer warms up. It's still not dominant by any means, and makes for a very drinkable 10% ABV beer. The dark fruits become more easily discernable as I drink more and more of this one...or is that just the alcohol talking? Regardless, the profile is rather simple as far as RIS's are concerned. Nothing really stands out when comparing this beer to others of its style. It has a very low carbonation to accompany the rich body; not quite as thick or chewy as most, but still a full-bodied brew.

The Russian Imperials are definitely one of my favorite styles. This is a good beer, but falls short of my expectations and doesn't rank in the upper echelon of big stouts.

Consumed: 2/1/2010

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours a dark and fairly viscous black with a relatively thin (half a finger) caramel head. Head is retained for a few moments before dwindling to a thin ring.

S: Smell is of heavy malt with some chocolate and bit of dark fruit hidden behind the malt.

T: Bitter chocolate upfront trailed by mellow maltiness and finally bitterness again with some smoke at the back of the mouth.

M: Has a smooth and creamy feel.

D: Drinkability is not as high as some of my favorites in the style, but a solid beer nevertheless.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

A deep black liquid sits in my snifter, as it should be. The brown foamy head comes and goes away. The lacing is in little spots, but is nicely sticky.

This smells big and malty. It has some nice notes of dark coffee mingling with hints of sweet, dark fruits. Nice hints of caramel and brown sugar. A nice layer of milk chocolate rests over the top of all of it.

The dark fruitiness and the light caramel notes are much more upfront than anything else now. There is a nice milk chocolate presence, along with some cocoa powder. A mild touch of coffee bitterness gives the whole thing a nice level of balance.

This is only medium-to-full bodied. I find this to be a slight letdown. This would benefit from being fuller and thicker. The carbonation level is low-to-medium which gives a light touch of creaminess, but can't thicken it up, sadly.

This one is nicely drinkable. As far as RIS's go, I'd probably put this one close to Old Rasputin, in the drinkability category. It's not quite that level, but it's close.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Thank you wilwfu for this long awaited beer. Had it in my little cellar for about a year.

A - this beer has a nice pitch black pour. A beutiful half in head formed. However, the head is not really sticky and died quick.

S - great. Smells syrupy and like rich malt. Hints of caramel, chocolate roast. I like it.

T - Oooh, is that bitterness? It is. This beer has a bitter beginning. It then hits some cloying sweetness, a little much though. The toasty coffee malt and chocolate finish the beer. The aftertaste is of coffee, and Abecall likes that.

M - wet. Lightly carbonated. Creamy finish. This beer finishes well, and the mouthfeel is good with the carbonation level.

D - this beer us pleasing. The high hidden abv convinces me of a well crafted drinkable beer. High drinkability for the style. I see myself wanting bigger mouthfulls over other thicker stouts. Abel likes that.

O - this beer is great. It is definately something I will seekout again. I like this stout when compared to other stouts in the same class such as old Rasputin. Duck rabbit has a winner here.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer pours an opaque and slightly brown black color. The look of it reminds me of still black oil. There is little to no head on the pour and a slight caramel brown ring at the edge. The smell is raisin and plums, with a slight bit of figs. Very little discernable hop presence which I like, it mellows out the whole profile allowing the dark and deep characteristics take over.

Glug glug glug

The initial flavor actually contains more hops than I smelled, but in addition to that there is the aforementioned fruit with tons more roasted malt than I smelled, almost to the point of it tasting somewhat burnt at the end. There seems to be a kind of blackberry tartness involved in the palate as well. There is a bit of heat at the end, but it's nothing that's not subtle. Awesome RIS, would always buy for its awesome and simple refinement.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A-deep black color that lets just a hint of a red hue through. an aggressive pour only gives about one finger of a thiner head that is dark coffee in color that has some retention but leaves a decent lacing on the glass

S-the nose is slightly subdued with a lightly burnt molasses sets in first with a touch of dark chocolate and coffee and a hint of smokiness that gives way to a light sweet malt of prunes and fig.

T-the taste is very solid and a little bigger than the nose. it brings the molasses up front, some dark chocolate sets in next and fades into a certain smokiness. the finish brings the sweet malts from the nose of plum and prunes.

M-the mouthfeel is on the lighter end of full body that has a chewy sense to it. It is quite smooth and well carbonated. The alcohol is slightly present towards the back and brings some warming

M-

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Pours black with thin tan covering on top.

Aroma is sweet with chocolate and roasted grains with a slight burntness. Taste is similar with sweet chocolate, roasted grains and a moderate burnt flavor. It has a slight sweet aroma and flavor that I find in nearly all of DR's dark beers as well. It's almost like they add a slight milk stout like quality to all of their dark beers.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side and slightly creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, a very delicious stout that hides the abv very well.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

This is my first opportunity to try something from Duck Rabbit and I have been pretty excited to obtain some of their beers.

Uncapped, this poured to my glass with a coffee brown color, but settles as nearly black. A thick and cloud-like three finger mocha tan head separates me from the beer.

First nose reminds me of cocoa powder and unground coffee beans. Slight marshmallow aromas. Reminds me of cold, stongly brewed coffee.

Taste brings flavors of bitter dark chocolate immediately. Hints of oak and leather are noticed as well. As it warmed, I found this one to be a little too sweet. I found this beer to have a rich and desired mouthfeel. Well balanced RIS, with little to no announcement of its alcohol content.

A great drinking beer. I wish this was available locally for me. Another beer I would love to age and also pair with food. Maybe in a dessert of some kind.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Taken from notes

Opaque black with a two inch head that is that of mocha colored. Shorter then average head retention with minimal lacing.

Sweet smell with chocolate, cocoa, and prunes.

Medium bitter upfront taste of that of coffee that merges into a sweet cola like taste. Roasted malts and dark chocolate.

Thick and full bodied with slightly higher carbonation then the style.

Pretty decent stout but nothing amazing that I would consider trying again.

3.01/5  rDev -23.6%

I understand that high abv beers tend to be on the sweeter side in order to have enough fermentable sugars, but this is very sticky sweet. I bought a case after reading the reviews here, expecting a malty sweetness balanced well by hops, which is not the case. If you like sticky sweet malts this beer is for you, the hops don't make much of an appearance or an impression.

Pours dark and viscious with almost no head, even with a vigerous pour. Smell is dominated by sweet malts. Taste is as described above. The mouthfeel is very nice, rich and velvety.

Drinkability is low for my tastes.

I can tell this is a beer crafted with care and top quality ingredients, but it's just not for me.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

Received as extra in trade with Portia99-- thanks a ton!!

A: Pours a thick viscous black with a dark brown head. Pitch black, no light passes through. Foam laces around glass.

S: huge aroma on this, I could smell it without even trying upon opening it. Dark chocolate, molasses, burnt sugar, all balanced with a big earthy hop character. Smells like it leans towards the sweet side.

T: I taste everything I smell, but everything is bumped up a notch. The molasses and burnt sugar is on the forefront followed by some sweetness of dark fruits. The hops aren't as prominent on the palate, but they seem to cut out the booziness. This is an incredibly smooth and enjoyable imperial stout.

MF: low carbonation, velvety texture, chewy body

D: all I have to say is that I wish this one was available to me locally. It reminds me of this year's Darkness without as much sweetness. Very drinkable for how big it is and the alcohol is very well hidden. This one is a winner.

Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery