Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

The Duck-Rabbit's Imperial Stout is extremely big and robust. This special beer is thick, jet black and oily in texture. Complex flavors of roast malts dominate: bitter chocolate and espresso coffee especially. There is also a very big hop presence both for bittering and for aroma. At 10% alcohol by volume, this brew is made to be sipped and savored!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-08-2005

3.93/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a dark and fairly viscous black with a relatively thin (half a finger) caramel head. Head is retained for a few moments before dwindling to a thin ring.

S: Smell is of heavy malt with some chocolate and bit of dark fruit hidden behind the malt.

T: Bitter chocolate upfront trailed by mellow maltiness and finally bitterness again with some smoke at the back of the mouth.

M: Has a smooth and creamy feel.

D: Drinkability is not as high as some of my favorites in the style, but a solid beer nevertheless.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

A deep black liquid sits in my snifter, as it should be. The brown foamy head comes and goes away. The lacing is in little spots, but is nicely sticky.

This smells big and malty. It has some nice notes of dark coffee mingling with hints of sweet, dark fruits. Nice hints of caramel and brown sugar. A nice layer of milk chocolate rests over the top of all of it.

The dark fruitiness and the light caramel notes are much more upfront than anything else now. There is a nice milk chocolate presence, along with some cocoa powder. A mild touch of coffee bitterness gives the whole thing a nice level of balance.

This is only medium-to-full bodied. I find this to be a slight letdown. This would benefit from being fuller and thicker. The carbonation level is low-to-medium which gives a light touch of creaminess, but can't thicken it up, sadly.

This one is nicely drinkable. As far as RIS's go, I'd probably put this one close to Old Rasputin, in the drinkability category. It's not quite that level, but it's close.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Thank you wilwfu for this long awaited beer. Had it in my little cellar for about a year.

A - this beer has a nice pitch black pour. A beutiful half in head formed. However, the head is not really sticky and died quick.

S - great. Smells syrupy and like rich malt. Hints of caramel, chocolate roast. I like it.

T - Oooh, is that bitterness? It is. This beer has a bitter beginning. It then hits some cloying sweetness, a little much though. The toasty coffee malt and chocolate finish the beer. The aftertaste is of coffee, and Abecall likes that.

M - wet. Lightly carbonated. Creamy finish. This beer finishes well, and the mouthfeel is good with the carbonation level.

D - this beer us pleasing. The high hidden abv convinces me of a well crafted drinkable beer. High drinkability for the style. I see myself wanting bigger mouthfulls over other thicker stouts. Abel likes that.

O - this beer is great. It is definately something I will seekout again. I like this stout when compared to other stouts in the same class such as old Rasputin. Duck rabbit has a winner here.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer pours an opaque and slightly brown black color. The look of it reminds me of still black oil. There is little to no head on the pour and a slight caramel brown ring at the edge. The smell is raisin and plums, with a slight bit of figs. Very little discernable hop presence which I like, it mellows out the whole profile allowing the dark and deep characteristics take over.

Glug glug glug

The initial flavor actually contains more hops than I smelled, but in addition to that there is the aforementioned fruit with tons more roasted malt than I smelled, almost to the point of it tasting somewhat burnt at the end. There seems to be a kind of blackberry tartness involved in the palate as well. There is a bit of heat at the end, but it's nothing that's not subtle. Awesome RIS, would always buy for its awesome and simple refinement.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

A-deep black color that lets just a hint of a red hue through. an aggressive pour only gives about one finger of a thiner head that is dark coffee in color that has some retention but leaves a decent lacing on the glass

S-the nose is slightly subdued with a lightly burnt molasses sets in first with a touch of dark chocolate and coffee and a hint of smokiness that gives way to a light sweet malt of prunes and fig.

T-the taste is very solid and a little bigger than the nose. it brings the molasses up front, some dark chocolate sets in next and fades into a certain smokiness. the finish brings the sweet malts from the nose of plum and prunes.

M-the mouthfeel is on the lighter end of full body that has a chewy sense to it. It is quite smooth and well carbonated. The alcohol is slightly present towards the back and brings some warming

M-

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Pours black with thin tan covering on top.

Aroma is sweet with chocolate and roasted grains with a slight burntness. Taste is similar with sweet chocolate, roasted grains and a moderate burnt flavor. It has a slight sweet aroma and flavor that I find in nearly all of DR's dark beers as well. It's almost like they add a slight milk stout like quality to all of their dark beers.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side and slightly creamy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, a very delicious stout that hides the abv very well.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my first opportunity to try something from Duck Rabbit and I have been pretty excited to obtain some of their beers.

Uncapped, this poured to my glass with a coffee brown color, but settles as nearly black. A thick and cloud-like three finger mocha tan head separates me from the beer.

First nose reminds me of cocoa powder and unground coffee beans. Slight marshmallow aromas. Reminds me of cold, stongly brewed coffee.

Taste brings flavors of bitter dark chocolate immediately. Hints of oak and leather are noticed as well. As it warmed, I found this one to be a little too sweet. I found this beer to have a rich and desired mouthfeel. Well balanced RIS, with little to no announcement of its alcohol content.

A great drinking beer. I wish this was available locally for me. Another beer I would love to age and also pair with food. Maybe in a dessert of some kind.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Taken from notes

Opaque black with a two inch head that is that of mocha colored. Shorter then average head retention with minimal lacing.

Sweet smell with chocolate, cocoa, and prunes.

Medium bitter upfront taste of that of coffee that merges into a sweet cola like taste. Roasted malts and dark chocolate.

Thick and full bodied with slightly higher carbonation then the style.

Pretty decent stout but nothing amazing that I would consider trying again.

3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

I understand that high abv beers tend to be on the sweeter side in order to have enough fermentable sugars, but this is very sticky sweet. I bought a case after reading the reviews here, expecting a malty sweetness balanced well by hops, which is not the case. If you like sticky sweet malts this beer is for you, the hops don't make much of an appearance or an impression.

Pours dark and viscious with almost no head, even with a vigerous pour. Smell is dominated by sweet malts. Taste is as described above. The mouthfeel is very nice, rich and velvety.

Drinkability is low for my tastes.

I can tell this is a beer crafted with care and top quality ingredients, but it's just not for me.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Received as extra in trade with Portia99-- thanks a ton!!

A: Pours a thick viscous black with a dark brown head. Pitch black, no light passes through. Foam laces around glass.

S: huge aroma on this, I could smell it without even trying upon opening it. Dark chocolate, molasses, burnt sugar, all balanced with a big earthy hop character. Smells like it leans towards the sweet side.

T: I taste everything I smell, but everything is bumped up a notch. The molasses and burnt sugar is on the forefront followed by some sweetness of dark fruits. The hops aren't as prominent on the palate, but they seem to cut out the booziness. This is an incredibly smooth and enjoyable imperial stout.

MF: low carbonation, velvety texture, chewy body

D: all I have to say is that I wish this one was available to me locally. It reminds me of this year's Darkness without as much sweetness. Very drinkable for how big it is and the alcohol is very well hidden. This one is a winner.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle courtesy of ericwo from awhile back. Thanks!!

Pours black with a thin rim of mocha-colored head. Looks like a typical RIS.

Tons of roast in the nose. Chocolaty malts and a hint of booze as well. Again, pleasant but not earth-shattering stuff here. Onto the taste...

Dark, bitter chocolate with accompanying coffee bean. It's pretty sweet... getting plenty of dark fruit here as well. Plum, currant and a little grape. Mouthfeel is thin for the style, but medium-bodied overall.

All in all, this is a good stout that is easily attainable and a good representation of the style. It's on par with a Storm King or Samuel Smith but if I'm looking to get multiple bottles of a 12oz stout, I'm going for Expedition, Founders Imperial or Plead the 5th.

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%

I have a descent stockpile of the Rabid Ducks... This is part of the "I'm still broke" cellar raiding.. This bottle came from bullywee.. thanks Kenneth... A fantastic trade and a fantastic trader.

Poured into my Delirium goblet... awesome dark tan/brown head.. the brew is expected black ... nice lacing for the entire glass and a firm cap throughout.

Nose is a sorta interesting RIS.. baskets of dark malts and dark fruits... waves of chocolate.. but some weird fruitiness really shows as it warms..

Flavor doesn't quite compute.. the dark fruits are a bit too much.. sometimes verging on sour (not infected)... Reminds me alot of Sam Smith's Stingo with more dark malts.. Strikes me as more "English" than any American interpretation of the style.. growing more boozy as it warms... cigar wrapper tobacco... salty? ... The body and carbonation are pretty much spot-on.. burpy... fruity... ehhhh.... I'm having a hard time with it.. flavors are waaayyy better and more meshed as it warms... don't drink it any where near cold...

I am honestly digging this one.. but really... I am trying to convince myself that this is not an infected batch that I have held on to for too long..

I need to share one of these with the Boise homies and test my taste buds... I don't think I'm off.. but I would be interested to see what we gather around a round table.

4.5/3.5/3/4/3.5

Edit: I may be way off base... but if this is NOT what Rabid Duck is supposed to taste like.. I will renounce this review upon further batches .. but right now... I am just not enjoying it.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

2008 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Jet black, 1/2 inch head

S: Chocolate, coffee

T: Malt, coffee, nuts, toffee, smokey

M: Very smooth.

D: A great take on the RIS style, really like the diversity of this kind of beer. A perfect night cap and very enjoyable. Recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a very viscous black with a late rising finger of head that recedes quickly.

Smell is huge toasted malts, notes of wood, raisin, marshmallow, bakers chocolate, big floral hops, and coffee beans.

Taste is dry, bitter chocolate up front with some coffee bean roastiness creeping up mid-palate, and a bouquet of floral hops on the finish. Hints of dark fruit like sweetness are present as well. This is a very well crafted Russian Imperial Stout. A classic stout flavor profile with an extra dash of hops to give it a bit more of a kick.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, I was thinking it was going to be fuller based on the thick pour. I guess it still has enough body to satisfy though. This is pretty easy drinking for such a full flavored, high ABV stout. I recommend this highly to anyone looking for a readily available RIS. Definitely beats out Old Rasputin and Storm King in my book.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours black as coffee with a thin dark tan head and some lacing. Can't see through it at all but seems filtered.

S - It was a little faint for me but it was mostly roasted malts, and a little toffee, raisin, and dark sugars.

T - VERY sweet at the beginning and throughout most of the beer (I'm assuming from the amount of malt used in this style of beer), milk chocolate, a little sour cherry in the background, and a nice coffee/espresso bittering aftertaste.

M/D - It has a medium-heavy body, low volumes of carbonation with small bubbles (clean beer) and is very smooth and creamy on the palate. No trace of alcohol flavor/burn even with 10% alcohol and it equates to a very nice sipper. As usual tastes better as it warms up a little bit!

Pour - it sure does look good in its snifter, all dressed up and ready for a night on the town! Color is pitch black like a glass of used motor oil. Head is rather thin, coffee colored and quick to turn into thin islands of foam along with some lacing in the glass. Carbonation level is, not surprisingly, pretty low.

Aroma - intensely rich, sweet and malty. Some dark fruit dried smells like that of raisins and prunes come into play. There is some dark chocolate fudge and tangy dark coffee notes along with nose tingling alcohol.

Taste - the first sip reminds me instantly of a shot of super dark espresso. Its bittersweet like dark chocolate and kind of reminds of coffee liquor. Nice and warming with plenty of complexity.

Overall - Excellent. A great example of the style with plenty of layers to peel away and some nice heat from the alcohol. This will keep your fired stoked on a bitter cold night.

Would I buy more of it? - Absolutely, for every bottle I bought I'd put another one away in the cellar to have the following winter as this is a great beer for aging. It only gets better.

Vintage - This bottle is from the Winter of 2008.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Tasted on 11/7/09 from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Dark black, very thin head settling down to almost nil.

S: Malty with smoky, chocolate, and coffee characteristics.

T: Malty up front with a little bitter in the latter. From the flavor I got a little more coffee notes than from the smell. A slight tinge of alcohol.

M: Full bodied but not thick or syrupy. The carbonation was lower but good for the style.

D: I could definitely do a few of these. The alcohol was well hidden and I found it to have a rich flavor but not over the top. Certainly enjoyable. I haven't been let down by Duck-Rabbit yet.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that faded slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. The aroma is loaded with creamy chocolate and dark roasted malts along with a faint touch of hops. The taste is starts with a strong bitter-sweet bite of dark chocolate and some dark fruit in the background. The malt character is just as hearty as any RIS out there and the hops presence is exactly as mild as you would expect to fit in with the style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet. Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky. Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, it's a good beer, but there are other big stouts that I would choose first.

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Completely opaque black color with a creamy head the color of brown sugar. Milk chocolate and light roast coffee in the nose. Wonderful taste of chocolate, coffee, and a balancing acidity. This is a great RIS that doesn't leave you feeling dominated. This beer isn't trying to be extreme, but instead aims at a near perfect example of the style.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Sample at the Most Honorable SuperHappyFun Stout Tasting. Thanks to Rogueone for sharing. This beer pours a flat black color with a thin brown head that recedes slowly. Stringy lacing. Aroma of sweet malt and toffee at first, followed by coffee and dark fruit. Rich body with flavors of chocolate, coffee, plum and malt. The finish is malty with notes of dark berry. Enjoyable all around.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for sending me this one.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass beer mug.

The beer poured a deep, dark black, and was capped with a tan head that kept growing after the pour. The head faded rapidly, leaving little lacing.

The aroma seemed to be dominated by the alcohol. As it warmed, I was able to get burnt malt and coffee, but the nose seemed a little weak for a stout.

The mouthfeel was medium, leaning toward thin. I felt it could have used a little more carbonation to beef it up. As it warmed, the alcohol really started to bite my tongue.

The taste was burnt coffee, hops bitterness and alcohol. As an after-effect, there was a little taste of chocolate, but the alcohol dominated. Kind of weak, kind of hot.

The alcohol was not very well hidden, and the flavors seemed unbalanced toward the hops and coffee bitterness. Nearing the end of the glass, as the beer approached room temperature, it started to become more and more harsh.

It was worth a try. Not a bad beer, but not a great one, either.

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle poured into Pint Glass

A: Jet black, and think with a dark coffee colored head.

S: Lots of strong coffee, chocolate, sweet malt and alcohol.

T: Bitterness and alcohol dominate the taste at first.... Followed up by a little coffee, chocolate and sweet malt.... The overall affect is very bitter and boozy...

M: Medium body, maybe a little syrupy. Little to no carbonation makes it seem thinner

D: High ABV & a very alcohol taste makes this one a 1 beer session.

Not my favorite Duck Rabbit to date...

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

This poured opaque black with moderate dark tan head. It smelled like milk chocolate with roasted coffee and burnt barley and some alcohol. It tasted like bitter chocolate and burnt coffee, with a bit of sour cherry and soy. It was thick with some carbonation, and had a dry bitter aftertaste. Overall this was an interesting beer with a weird sweet and sour flavor. It smelled good and had very nice body, but the strange flavor made this somewhat difficult for me to drink. It wasn't a bad beer, but it also isn't one I really care to drink again. I doubt it would improve with age either. Just not for me.

3.09/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Pretty much pitch black. Doesn't allow light to pass through. Moderate amount of dark head that, as it dies down, turns a slightly lighter tan color. Appears to be thick.

S: Not a very strong scent. Very subtle coffee scents. Some bittersweet chocolate as well. Maybe some maltiness as well, but not a whole lot here.

T: Sort of a tangy sweetness. Odd for an imperial stout. Starts on the sides of the tongue and ends on the tip. I'd actually call it more of a sweet and sour flavored stout than anything else. There are coffee and chocolate notes, of course, but this is odd overall. Some of the ABV comes through as well.

M: Doesn't feel quite as thick as it looks. Moderate carbonation.

D: Not sure I'd want this again, unless this happens to be a bad bottle and it usually tastes different.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz bottle (cellared for 4+ months) poured into a snifter. I let this sit for 1/2 hour, a wise choice. It started a little harsh and sharp in its heat and hoppiness... it softened up quite a bit with the chance to warm to room temp...
The beer pours dark but thin... dark roasted brown color with crimson highlights under the lights. Capped by just a hint of sharp khaki head. Opaque at the deep points, but the thin edges reveal themselves, allowing plenty of visible light to shine through.

Smells remarkably of cocoa powder, a doughy breadiness, and a touch of hot whiskey. What else could you ask for?

full mouthfeel (not heavy though), coating the cheeks with a bit of viscous stickiness. Starts soft, milk chocolatey...grows bolder, big sweet and hot bourbon and dark chocolate with some bright copper and big caramel backbone. It ends with a piney hop bitterness. Its the bitterness that coats, allowing the alcohol heat to creep in. Very pleasurable to sit and indulge slowly. Becomes profoundly soft and full when held in the mouth for extended periods. That is the way to truly enjoy this beer. It allows the milky carbonation to open up... Higher levels of carbonation here... Not surprising that RD finishes hot and dry. Towards the end of the glass the mouth falls apart a bit, with some sweetness becoming overwhelming.
The thin character allows for increased drinkability... a very solid beer.

Duck-Rabbit Rabid Duck from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery