Duck-Rabbit Barleywine Ale | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: English Barleywine

The Duck-Rabbit Barleywine is the hoppiest of all the Duck-Rabbit brews. This is a Farmville-style Barleywine, crafted the way brewers in Farmville have always done. Loads of Amarillo hops give a piney citrusy bitterness that's supported beautifully by a toffee malt backbone.

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 12-12-2006

3.8

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't even remember who sent this - one of my Carolina/Tennessee hook-ups I'm guessing. Served in my Day of the Living Ales taster glass. Split with the wife. Best before 12/09.

A - One finger of slow dissolving creamy orange-tan foam with tons of lacing. Murky orange with a hint of brown. Pretty good looking for a barleywine.

S - Burnt sugar, raisins, caramel, dark fruits, some residual floral hoppiness. There's a slight rye bread sourness to the bready malts as well.

T - Taste is a litlte bit less complicated - lots of caramel, booze, dark fruits, and bread. The aftertaste is kind of hot with some roastiness to it as well.

M - Full-bodied, low carbonation, super sticky residual feel, some alcohol warmth. It's what I expect from the style.

D - Too hot to really have more than one bottle. Otherwise it's pretty easy to drink - the aftertaste isn't too strong. I suspect this will be good well beyond December.

This beer pours a medium bodied dirty, cloudy copper with a one finger soapy off white head. The nose is surprisingly oaky and dry. The matinees is sweet with sme cherry and toffee. The flavors too are pretty woody, especially for a beer that isn't advertised to be barrel aged otherwise it follows the nose with candied sugar and cherry. It drinks between light and medium in body and isn't overly sticky. It finishes dry fr the style if anything. This is an interesting barley wine. Its worth a try and is a nice change of pace for the style.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Thanks to slcbrewer for this one.

Poured into a chalice a deep dark clean/clear reddish color, nice carbonation, huge creamy tannish head, tons of sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is of malts, cherries, a tangyness, some caramel. The taste is sweet, slightly tangy, a good dose of cherries, some caramel. The finish is slightly dry. The alcohol is hidden very well. Medium body. Very drinkable, I really like this one, very different from an american barleywine, there's a nice sweetness to it, dark fruits, very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an amber color with a 1/23 inch head. Smell is of brown sugar, toffee, raisins. Taste is caramel malts, sweet, alcohol, raisins, cherries, light hops, a bit more alcohol as it warms. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to djrn2 for sending me a handful of Duck-Rabbit beers.

The beer pours a dark red color with an off-white head. The aroma has a lot of piney hops in it, as well as some heavy caramel and brown sugar notes. There is also some alcohol in the aroma. The flavor is similar. There are some pine and orange notes in the flavor which go well with the heavy caramel malt backbone. There is also some brown sugar-like sweetness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Pours a ruby red with a soapy head that leaves plenty of lace. Aroma of booze soaked fruit and rich malts. In the taste, caramel, toffee, nuts, raw chocolate and citrus. Full bodied, very flavorful beer. Overall this was a good barleywine, big fruit and sugar, little hint of alcohol. I'd love to age a bottle of this.

2.76/5  rDev -27.4%

I'm a big fan of the other Duck Rabbit big beers, so I was really looking forward to trying this one. Unfortunately, this beer is out of whack and in my opinion not at all in the same caliber as their other beers. Next time I'll try it again from the bottle and let it age some and see if it improves. Pours dark amber with a big head that lasts surprisingly long given the high abv. The smell is surprisingly light and has a vegetal note to it, (tomato?) that is a little offputting. The taste has more tomato and on top of that is way too sweet. Strong, alcoholic sugar water with a tomato tinge? No thanks! The flavor is just bizarre. I would put this down to the keg being off if it hadn't been served to me by the brewery at the Hickory Hops fest. The mouthfeel is creamy, but also a little too slick. This one is not utterly bad, but its got some flavors going on that I just don't find that palatable. I'm not sure what went wrong here, but I think this beer probably doesn't belong on draft.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip for good measure. DR just came into philly, I for one am glad.

A- Duck-Rabbit claims to be a "dark-beer specialist" and they ain't lying. Darker than expected this was a dark mahogany color with some red highlights up towards light. A nicely formed dark tan head formed on top sticking around for a while. Very nice lacing on this sucka.

S- Dark malts giving off caramel. A nice hop nose in the beginning but gets sucked up by the malts with warming. Dark fruits out the wazoo including plums. Breadyness from the malts and alcohol from the 11%

T- I was surprised by this one. The hops are there and have a bite on the 1st few sips but that subsides fairly quickly. I really like the dark fruit action with the plum and deep cherry combo. Malts upon malts giving off sweetness. Of course the alcohol is tasted, it is 11% after all. Not overly complex but I like it.

M- Sweet and smooth after time but you have to drink a few ounces before the initial bigness comes in which includes some heat. The alcohol is high but well hidden. A very sturdy body on this but a little thinner than I was expecting, which is probably why I like it so much.

D- Very drinkable which is dangerous. I felt the alcohol half way through my chalice. Im not big on barleywines in general so I really don't know what im looking for in one, but I throughly enjoyed this one. One and done and a bottle or two in the cellar. I think this is past it's "best by" date but who cares, maybe they just have to put that on there.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

A perfect candy apple colour, the beer appears succulent and sweet. Its clarity is wholly intact with a glossy complexion that nearly sparkles ruby-esque tones when held into the light. It's nothing short of dazzling. If left undisturbed its ecru stained capping will appear just adequate. A quick swirl now and then, however, will resuscitate what is a more than eloquent display of carbonation considering the 11% alcohol.

The aroma seems to showcase all the bitter, astringent character of hops with a disproportionate amount of floral and fruity notes to correspond; it smells like there were plenty of hops used without giving air of a typically 'hoppy' bouquet. Same goes for the malts, I sense the roast and long-boiled stickiness but am whiffing none of the crispy toast or sweet caramel. I'm not sure what to expect from the taste.

...and I'm still not sure what I think. There's an almost doughy, pastry like base but what I taste most is a strong dusting of chocolate that coats a big mixture of dried and over-ripened fruits. I would guess some combination of figs, apricot, dates, and pineapple - not necessarily your most predictable group of fruits. The ones more typical - bruised apple and sun dried cherry - taste as though they were soaked in brandy.

The more I think about it the more the beer does, at its base, resemble a sweet flaky pastry, like something found at a Greek bakery. For one, there's a ton of sugar and secondly there's a small dose of caramelization too. More and more this starts to resemble baklava and a shot of brandy. It's a sugary, syrupy sweet concoction tasting of dried fruits, flaky pastry and honeyed nuts - this brewer has to be Greek!

This isn't my idea of the ideal barleywine but that's not to say it doesn't still make for a good one. I'm still not entirely sure of just how much I like (or love) the beer but I had this same conundrum with this brewery's Imperial Stout. Like the drawing on their labels after which the brewery is named, this too can be seen as two different things: a good (what I think) or great (maybe to some) barleywine. Either way, there isn't any wrong answer.

3.47/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best By Date December 2007, Sampled July 2007
Very well carbonated, the beer almost explodes as it first hits my glass. After a very careful pour, I end up with a four-finger thick, amber tinged, tan colored head that sits atop an absolutely brilliantly clear, cranberry red colored beer. The aroma has a distinct fruitiness to it that mixes with the alcohol and reminds me of a mix between brandy and sherry. Almost has a buttery like, toffee-esque, definitely caramelized malt character to it. At times it even smells like sweet grape juice. I am not sure what it is, but something about the aroma is a bit off-putting; something like a mix of green, macerated raisins, some sourish-bitter herbs and a distinct, yet, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it vegetable-like thing.

The beer is very thick, at least it should be. The excessive carbonation causes it to froth up immediately as it hits my tongue; luckily this is easily fixed by a couple of vigorous swirls of my glass. The beer is fairly thick and quite sweet; that sort of off aroma is noticeable here in the flavor as well, but I think that it is just a combination of the ample hops and sweet malt. The malt here tastes simplistic and overly stripped, like it had been heavily filtered (though I am not sure this is really the case here). Herbal, definitely grassy, somewhat reminiscent of green grapes, the hop character is quite prominent here, though it seems to manifest itself a bit atypically from your typical hoppy Barleywine. Rich, brown malt, caramel flavors linger in the finish; somewhat similar to a brown sugar encrusted, richly browned, rustic bread crust.

This is certainly not a bad beer, but it just seems a bit weird to my taste buds. It definitely hides the 11% alcohol quite well.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

A long day at work and a nice and very welcome 12oz. Poured into my Delirium goblet... 2 finger yellowish khaki head.. great lace.. but no real cap.. the brew is pretty deep amber.

Nose has tons of caramel and plenty of estery fruitiness .. plums and maybe dried cherries.. toasted malts and some grassy hoppiness that combine into what makes me think of sawdust.. a bit boozy.

Flavor mirrors the nose, but more cherry esters really come in mid palate and linger through the finish.. some whaffs of cocoa.. but the caramel malts with deep munich are really the main players.. hops are bigger than the traditional English BW.. and definitely lend toward the American side of things.. there is certainly some citric and maybe some piney hops.. the caramel verges on toffee as it warms.. really this is a nice BW.. very drinkable.. but still a sipper in the respect that I want this one to last a bit.

Very nice body.. pretty thick but with a great carbonation... the alcohol seems to cut through the viscosity, but really is not too much of a distraction for me.. It reminds me very much of an aged Old Boardhead or a pretty old.. Old Bawdy... I like this more than the most recent Old Bawdy.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a reddish brown body with some decent head and lace retention. Aroma is a little boozy but nothing bad and there is both some dark fruit and sweet malts coming through. Beer is medium bodied, smoth, not only a touch of dark fruits (I'm thinking figs) there is a caramel and toffee, even almost candi sugar sweetness, that pokes through at times. The alcohol holds things in balance from being too sweet and there is a good malt base that keeps it held together. An interesting and enjoyable barleywine.

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine Ale from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery