Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Doppelbock

The Duck-Rabbator Dopplebock is a powerfully malty German-style lager. The malty / grainy flavors so dominate this beer, it's like a whole loaf of bread in every glass! Is it a beverage or is it a meal? It's both.

Added by Georgiabeer on 06-22-2009

In a recent trip to Asheville, NC (Beer-halla) I walked into one of the best beer stores in the country, the Thirsty Monk. If you know me, I am the hyperboleistic sort. Everything is like the best ever. However, this is an exception. By this point in my life, I have tried around a thousand beers (about 500 of which reside in my bottle collection and 150 on my Taco Mac Brewniversity. In that laundry list, I have my loves; St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Abt. 12, Brooklyn Black Ops, Left Hand Milk Stout, Great Lakes Christmas, Wild Heaven Ode to Mercy, among many, but this beer has been special.

As a brewery, Duck Rabbit is impressive. While none of their beers, until now have been my favorite of a style, many have been quite close. Their recipes are classic, but crisp and refreshing. Their styles are within their comfort zone, but push the envelope. Their Doppelbock, however, is perfect.

I know what you are thinking, only Hoffmann could have a style I have not heard of as a favorite beer. First of all, listen, while this beer is in my current top five, there is no favorite to a beer lover, it is what feels right at that moment. Second, anyone would like a doppelbock if they had a good one. A doppelbock will look like a dark brown ale, brown porter, or light colored stout. It is smooth and malty; perhaps even creamy. While having subtle roast qualities, it is sweet and light. If you drink this and you had no other beer experience other than a Bud or Pabst, you may think it was a girl beer or soda, but they are so much more.

Duck Rabbit Doppelbock is not much to look at. The logo is cool, but the color is a deep brown and the head was a wispy white, that is where the standard aspects end. The body was rich, but not heavy; highly drinkable. The smell and flavor were malty chocolate, with subtle roasting. They are cleanly fermented, but complex. The scent is amazing and the flavors are rich. If you have never tried such a beer, please go and try it; you will never be the same.

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to the Brick Store for snagging this limited release!

Poured into a special Duck Rabbit snifter. The bartender said, "If you pour it right, it looks like a breast with a nipple." Indeed. The glass was very cool. Since they only had one keg of this sruff, I told them there was no reason for me to return the glass. They made me give it back. :-(

Color is a deep brown. Very nice, fine, thin lacing around the glass.

Smell is dark malty sweetness.

Taste is exceptional. I have found my new favorite Doppelbock. Very flavorful dark malts, mild sweetness. Chocolaty! And a hint of coffee. They call themselves "the dark beer specialists." Agreed. This, their first lager, definitely has characteristics of their dark ales. It's like they "Frankensteined" the best parts of a Doppelbock and the dark ales they make into this amazing brew. The finish is nice, lingering caramel.

Mouth feel is SMOOTH, creamy.

Drinkability is excellent. You really can't have just one.

I understand why breweries have one time, or rotating releases. But when you do something like this, you really need to consider adding this to your full time line up.

Duck Rabbit, you have out done yourselves with this one!

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

This is the strongest, but also best, of the few dopplebocks that I've tried.

A: Dark, roasted brown. Small layer of head in the snifter with good lacing.

S: Roasted malts, some bitter chocolate, a little alcohol mixed with fruit.

T: The roasted malt is most prevalent, but there's lots going on in the taste profile. I picked up some chocolate and some faint fruits that complemented the general roastiness well. Also some alcohol presence, but it's well incorporated into the beer.

M: Smooth, medium-full.

D: Pretty good for the style. Alcohol taste doesn't hold you back, but I've never felt like dopplebocks are the kind of beer for sessioning anyways.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Another day up in Asheville, and it was HOT! The only thing to keep you cool was several trips around
to the local watering holes. Consumed on tap on 07/06/2010.

Longtime coming on this one. I had waited and waited to see this one on tap for what seemed like an
eternity. Served cold I just had to wait and let it warm before diving in. Thick, dark, black as night
as it comes to the table has me second guessing the idea of a dark starter to the afternoon. I took
the first whiff though and it was over. Deep chocolate just rushes across the nose. Huge roasted
malts, enormous hints of smoke and tobacco, a rush of earthy hops. Amazing collaboration of flavors
here has me seriously scratching my head in amazement.

Thick as a milkshake then light as a feather, this is an amazing creation, smoky, roasted, rich,
drinkable. I could have this all day. As it reaches up near room temperature I finally get the full
experience and it just overwhelms the senses. A semi dry and sweet finish seals the deal.

Overall one of the best things I have had in a long time. I would love to have this on every day.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Purchased Peabody's Beer & Wine, in Boone, NC.

A - In the sun light a deep reddish brown with good carbonation and a thin consistent tan foam. Indoor light the beer is a deep brown with reddish hints.

S - Malts, Raisin, Dates, hints of alcohol. The aroma is very inviting that you want to taste the beer.

T - Malts, sweetness of dark fruits, some bitterness of hops, a good sting of alcohol with a good aftertaste of all the ingredients.

M - A good full feel in each taste no matter the sip or full taste. The flavor is really good and makes you want more.

O - I really enjoy this beer. I have had this last beer of a 6 pack since August '11 so it has aged about 6 months on top of the brewing/aging timeline. I look forward to getting to NC so I can get somemore.

Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery