Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: Doppelbock

The Duck-Rabbator Dopplebock is a powerfully malty German-style lager. The malty / grainy flavors so dominate this beer, it's like a whole loaf of bread in every glass! Is it a beverage or is it a meal? It's both.

Added by Georgiabeer on 06-22-2009

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber color with a thick head that dies down to a soapy film of bubbles. A strong caramel aroma with some peat and a touch of cherry. Very clean aroma. A bit of toasted malt flavor at first that blends with a bit of cherry and a nice butterscotch flavor. A medium feel with a nice smooth body and a bit of syrup. Coats the tongue with a sweet finish. On par with Optimator and Salvator. Another dangerous session beer....great flavor and you can't detect any alcohol.

3.36/5  rDev -16%

I was curious about this one, so I picked up a bottle earlier today. Glad I tried it, but I don't think this merits a 6-pack as Duck Rabbit's Schwarzbier or Hoppy Bunny do.

It's a bit too sweet- the sweetness overpowers the delicate flavors that I would otherwise expect in a lager. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not getting that much out of this. Sad, because I have liked many of their other offerings, and want to keep supporting someone focused on dark beers. I guess I'll be doing it with their other beers.

Mainly, considering the $14/6-pack it costs, I'd prefer to buy a fair amount of other things for $10. So I'm glad I tried it, but also glad I got a single bottle for $3.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Re-review

12oz bottle best by 4/2014. Consumed on 8/10/13. Into a shaker

Pours a dark reddish/brown with just under an inch thick off white head. The smell is malty, bready, caramely and a tad sweet. Very solid scent. The taste remains true to form, big malt backbone followed by a wave of caramel sweetness and it finishes off with a good bit of alcohol bitterness too. Very nice. 8.5% ABV is apparent, as this one has a bit of a kick to it. It works well here though. Heavier side of medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall a very solid offering from Duck Rabbit. This was the first real beer I loved from them and the 2013 batch is no different. For some reason these are only going for $7.49/6 pack right now and at that price I'm going to be picking up a case.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap at Sessions in Greensboro.

A - dark caramel-purple with a big brown head that has great retention

S - caramel, sugar

T - caramel, sugar, dark fruit, figs, raisins, faint bitterness, a bit buttery

M - full bodied, well carbonated

This is a very nicely flavored doppelbock. It's complex and very drinkable with a well hidden ABV. This is another solid offering from Duck Rabbit.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

In a recent trip to Asheville, NC (Beer-halla) I walked into one of the best beer stores in the country, the Thirsty Monk. If you know me, I am the hyperboleistic sort. Everything is like the best ever. However, this is an exception. By this point in my life, I have tried around a thousand beers (about 500 of which reside in my bottle collection and 150 on my Taco Mac Brewniversity. In that laundry list, I have my loves; St. Bernardus Prior 8 and Abt. 12, Brooklyn Black Ops, Left Hand Milk Stout, Great Lakes Christmas, Wild Heaven Ode to Mercy, among many, but this beer has been special.

As a brewery, Duck Rabbit is impressive. While none of their beers, until now have been my favorite of a style, many have been quite close. Their recipes are classic, but crisp and refreshing. Their styles are within their comfort zone, but push the envelope. Their Doppelbock, however, is perfect.

I know what you are thinking, only Hoffmann could have a style I have not heard of as a favorite beer. First of all, listen, while this beer is in my current top five, there is no favorite to a beer lover, it is what feels right at that moment. Second, anyone would like a doppelbock if they had a good one. A doppelbock will look like a dark brown ale, brown porter, or light colored stout. It is smooth and malty; perhaps even creamy. While having subtle roast qualities, it is sweet and light. If you drink this and you had no other beer experience other than a Bud or Pabst, you may think it was a girl beer or soda, but they are so much more.

Duck Rabbit Doppelbock is not much to look at. The logo is cool, but the color is a deep brown and the head was a wispy white, that is where the standard aspects end. The body was rich, but not heavy; highly drinkable. The smell and flavor were malty chocolate, with subtle roasting. They are cleanly fermented, but complex. The scent is amazing and the flavors are rich. If you have never tried such a beer, please go and try it; you will never be the same.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours auburn with 3+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Brown sugar & breadyness

T: Follows the nose, caramel, leafy hops & dryness up front. Slight boozeyness as this warms, more brown sugar, woody dryness that kind of detracts from an otherwise great take on the style. Finishes dry & bready & spicy

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, warming & dry

Pretty drinkable, not world-class, but pretty decent. However, at $14 a sixer, I would probably pass on this one again in bottled form. This one did grow on me as it warmed...

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish mahogany color with a finger of fluffy off white head that sticks around pretty well but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: Lots of grain and sweetness along with some caramel and raisins. This smells like a malt bomb.

Taste: Like the smell, the flavor is quite sweet from the grains. Full of caramel and dark fruits with some warming alcohol and a slight bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thick side of medium with tingly carbonation and an extremely dry finish. Just a bit chalky.

Overall: This beer was just what I wanted tonight. Full of malt goodness. It would be extremely good if it were a bit smoother, but I really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Purchased Peabody's Beer & Wine, in Boone, NC.

A - In the sun light a deep reddish brown with good carbonation and a thin consistent tan foam. Indoor light the beer is a deep brown with reddish hints.

S - Malts, Raisin, Dates, hints of alcohol. The aroma is very inviting that you want to taste the beer.

T - Malts, sweetness of dark fruits, some bitterness of hops, a good sting of alcohol with a good aftertaste of all the ingredients.

M - A good full feel in each taste no matter the sip or full taste. The flavor is really good and makes you want more.

O - I really enjoy this beer. I have had this last beer of a 6 pack since August '11 so it has aged about 6 months on top of the brewing/aging timeline. I look forward to getting to NC so I can get somemore.

Duck-Rabbit Duck-Rabbator from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery