Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Duck-Rabbit SchwarzbierDuck-Rabbit Schwarzbier

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States | website

Style: Schwarzbier

The Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier is a refreshing summer lager (sometimes referred to as a "black pils"). In true Duck-Rabbit fashion, we've made ours extra schwarzy! It's very dark and quite roasty. Lots of Hallertau hops give this brew an authentic German character.

Added by on 07-30-2009

Reviews: 178 | Ratings: 313
3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

Yet another bottle from Deuane and his bucket of bad luck. I have no idea how old this one is...

A - Pours very dark brown, bordering on black, with a nice one and a half finger tall off-white head leaving spotty lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and the faintest hint of citric hops. I am pretty sure that if this was a bit fresher I would have liked this one even more.

T - Starts off with a big dose of dark roasted malt slowly giving way to hints of coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, and the faintest of hints of hop bitterness. The finish is a mix of dark roast and light sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Dark, toasty, feel with plenty of it sticking around through the finish. A bit stale and one dimensional. It could have used a bit of that hop bitterness I detected in the nose.

O - Not too bad. I enjoyed it for what it was I just think it was a bit too old. I may have to seek out a fresher bottle of this one in the future.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - BB Nov. 2009

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with an aggressive head that builds quickly. A 2", light tan head shows great retention. Some spotty lace streaks down the glass.

Smell: Very well roasted malt smells like burnt toast and heavy espresso. Dark chocolate mixes with lager yeast aromas. Not much sugar.

Taste: A semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor mixes with burnt toast and an oatmeal/milk stout creamy feel. Lager yeast and some small alcohol finishes the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Burnt, toasted mouthfeels are full of tannin-like bitterness. Smoke and a touch of sweetness are finished by some alcohol.

Drinkability: This black lager has lots of dark, burnt flavors that could become cloying after a few beers. For that reason, it isn't so much of a session beer. Good for the cold fall and winter nights.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with noticeable brown hues along the edges…head is a light mocha, but very thin and dissipates even after a good swirl…dark and dense though…(3.25/5)

Smell: Tons of dark malts, I’m getting dry chocolate, oatmeal and roasted malt – an RIS/porter feel right off the bat…a little smoky…full, deep aroma…mildly astringent when I stick my nose deep in there…this really is a good smelling ale, but not overly diverse…dark malts are abundant and abound…it’s nice…(3.5/5)

Taste: Hmm…my initial feel is that its tastes like a non-hoppy black IPA…I’m getting tons of roasted malts (and maybe some barley), light oatmeal, light chocolate – then it sorta stops and where I’d expect a bitter, hoppy bite, there’s a soft, grassy/wheaty-ness that doesn’t attack my taste buds…oatmeal flavor stands out…very nice…(3.75/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…carbonation is also light, but enough to bring a nice roasted malt/light oatmeal flavor to the palate…this thing is hitting the back of my tongue with awesome flavor, but brings little in the bitterness (sides of tongue) category…wet, smooth and crisp…after taste fades leaving me wanting more…an easy, malty sipper for sure…(3.5/5)

Overall: I’m very surprised by what I got from a “black lager”…I typically don’t choose lagers when selecting beers at the store, but with this being a Duck-Rabbit production, I took a chance…unfortunately, I only got one because this thing drinks very easy and packs tons of dark, malty flavor…this is a great brew for hanging with friends around a fire or watching some football in a recliner…yum! certainly a seasonal that is fading out, if you see this hanging around your beer store, grab one and enjoy! (3.5/5)

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle purchased from Beverage World in Ft. Oglethorpe $2. These guys are the dark beer specialists so I'm sure this will be cool and if they were going to make a lager I guess it would be a dark one. Dark brown, almost black. Smells like rich malts, not bad at all. Flavor is dark lager, reminds me a bit of Full Sail Session black but might be a notch up taste-wise. I would love to be able to get Duck Rabbit Porter and Milk Stout on a regular basis.

3.69/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a very deep amber almost black in color with a finger of creme colored head. smells of roasted grains, chocolate, bready yeast. slightly fruity like cherries with lots of chocolate, and roasted grain flavor. has a nice tartness to it from the lager yeast. medium body, high carbonation.

a nice offering from this brewery.. they sure do like their dark beers!

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Dark and black in color except when held to light you can get a lighter brown towards the bottom of the glass...an off white head formed and fell as quickly into a wispy cap and a ring...some lacing

S - Holy roasted malts! The roastiness takes full control of the aroma...malts, espresso beans, and cocoa beans have all been roasted...a hint of caramel sweetness and some vanilla

T - The roasted characteristic stands out in the flavor but it comes to the point where it starts tasting a little burnt...they might not be burnt but there's a lot of roastiness going on...all the flavors from the nose are present...you get a hint of caramel followed by vanilla in the middle...hints of lactose are present in the middle...the beer ends with a bitterness from the cocoa and espresso beans

M - Medium bodied...smooth, slick, and creamy

D - This was my first Schwarzbier and I did a side-by-side with the one from Sam Adams...this was a nice beer but it reminded me more of a milk stout/regular stout...I'm looking forward to try Duck Rabbit's other dark beers

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%

Ive heard that awful I word thrown around about this one.

Pour is pitch black with a huge thick frothy light toffee-colored head.

I get alot of smooth coffee and chocolate on the nose, with a hint of light cherry that reminds me of the bottle of their Rabbid Duck I had.

The roasted malt comes out straight away, and I like that. Loads of powdered black chocolate and a bit of toasted coffee. But it competes with sour cherry from what I think is that awful "I" word. I like the base Schwarzbier. Its very toasted and roasted malt, and with no real body.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

I'm always happy to see Duck-Rabbit coming out with new styles, especially since so few breweries are committed to dark beers year-round. The pour is gorgeous--as black as beer can get. The nose and taste aren't quite on par with the best schwarzbiers yet; the Einbecker Schwarzbier is much more robust and malty. Still, it's exciting to see an American brewery giving this style a go. Definitely worth checking out.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

I bought a case of this at Bryn Mawr Beverage in Rosemont, PA. I poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is deep brown almost black body. The head is a creamy tan head, 3 fingers tall, great retention, beautiful lacing and small bubbled.
Smell: The aromas are very roasty, chocholate and breast yeast.
Taste: The flavors are again roasty, sweet and some coffee notes.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is a bit thin.
Drinkability: This beer is great.
Don't drink and review.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Received as an extra from Macky20. Thanks Matt! I really enjoyed trying this interesting brew. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: This beer pours black in color with a nice 1 finger mocha head. There is moderate head retention and nice lacing.

S: espresso, toffee, chocolate, and a bit of peanut butter are the main whiffs I get. Overall, this is a complex smelling beer and wonderfully balanced.

T: Disappointingly not as good as the smell. The taste starts out good, but the finish just feels watered down and tasteless. At the start I get some coffee, toast, and some unexpected hops. Then all taste fades away and I feel like I'm drinking a flat soda.

M: Probably my biggest complainant about this beer is that it feels like an IPA. While the flavors are great, I would just like a little bit more body to the feel and a tad more of an aftertaste and a little less carbonation.

D: Pretty good drinkability. The initial flavors are pretty good, it goes down easy and is on the thin side.

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Pours an opaque black with a small of white head that quickly dissipates into a ring.

S: Lots of roasted and smokey smells up front with some chocolate and malty sweetness in there as well.

T: The chocolate is more pronounced in the flavor of the beer than the scent. Nice toffy and caramel flavors that are not too sweet at all. There is a deffinate smokey characted that is also not overpowering, but very enjoyable. It offsets the sweetness very well.

M: Moderate level of carbonation, and perhaps the slightest warming sensation.

D: This is a unique beer that I thoroughly enjoyed, and hope to have again, but not one I think I would like all the time.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, dry caramel and a small smoke presence. In the taste, small roast, small smoke, and a hint of fruitiness. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry smokiness in the aftertaste. I thought this was a nice representation of style. I really enjoyed it.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Duck Rabbit Schwarzbier
A - Pours a very dark brown almost black with an inch or two of tan foam that quickly faded leaving some lacing on the glass.
S - nice mocha, coffee and vanilla aroma, nice roasted background
T - nice roasted malt flavor, some caramel, coffee and vanilla with just a hint of smokiness as well.
M - A bit thinner than I was expecting, nice carbonation, almost a cola feel with a bit of charred finish
D - Good flavor, just a bit thinner than I was hoping for. Easy to drink and not tiresome.

4/3.5/4/3.5/3.5

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a reddish black with a large light brown head. Smells of fruit notes in the dark roasted malt with very slight hints of chocolate. Tastes of dark roasted malt, slight caramel, and slight fruit taste, a little different. Beer is light bodied and sessionable, carbonation is perfect. Overall, an above average beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. bottle with a shiny silver and black label that has a bright red center. Inside the red center is the world famous Duck Rabbit wearing a baseball cap turned to the side. To the far left is the Government warning and to the right is a notched best before date.

When poured into a Lagunitas pint glass, this Schwarzbier appears to be solid oil black colored beer, but when it's held into the light, it was more of a dark chocolate brown color. On top was a 3/4 of an inch beige colored head of foam. In less than a 1 minute, this head of foam quickly receded into a hand full of beige rings and about 2 spots of lace.

The aroma was about about the roasted scents! It kicked off with a strong whiff of dark roasted malts. After the malts leave, in comes a hint of roasted coffee beans, roasted nuts, bitter dark chocolate, and then it finishes up with a gentle touch of caramel. It needed that caramel to help balance out all the dark roasted aromas.

The taste was a fight between the dark roasted malts and the roasted coffee beans. You actually taste a struggle between those two flavors. There was no clear winner, except for maybe the consumer. After the dust had settled, this dark roasted taste ends with bitter dark chocolate, and roasted nuts. There was no subtle sweetness in the taste to try and balance out all the roasted flavors.

This was a medium bodied beer with more than enough carbonation. Don't think so? Look at it and taste it and you'll see what I mean. This beer had a roasted aftertaste of dark roasted malts, roasted coffee beans, bitter dark chocolate, and a subtle touch of roasted nuts.

The Dark Beer specialist did it again! They made yet another great dark roasted beer. I could see this as a dark roasted session beer.

3.77/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the botle into a nonic pint glass.

A two finger toffee brown and sticky character looking head is made, sitting on a real nice dark ruby red body. Head falls normally. Great looking body color.

Ripped husky grains, and light malts, mixed with a very light balance of milk chocolate and coffee. Real nice, impressive.

Taste is, lager like and almost crisp, mostly with a burnt grain sense. Sharp bitter and almost hoppy, with a little coffee. Texture is a little too gaseous, but still pleasurable. A little sour also on the fnish.

Overall though, the great nose does not bring the wonderful taste expected, but it is still another enjoyable beer from the Duck.

3.77/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle date is illegible. But it's been refrigerated most of the time I've had it.

Pours very dark brown, black in the glass, and opaque except at the very edges. Half-finger of medium-tan head, gone in a flash, but some decent lacing.

Smell is quite smooth, with mellow citrus and smoky wood. The different components of the smell work really well together, forming an integrated whole that's hard for me to parse apart. Malty, slightly hoppy, dark, but airy and ethereal at the same time. If this beer were a fantasy character, it would be a happy dark sorcerer. Only complaint is that I'd like it to be more potent.

Taste is less integrated, and less interesting. A mix of slightly roasted malt with a hint of smoke, and some rather bland hops. Finishes mildly bitter.

Light-bodied, medium-low carbonation. On the flat side.

I was enthusiastic after the smell, but the taste let me down. Not bad, and among the more refreshing dark beers I've had. But not great.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz received as a super cool extra from bullywee.. Thanks Kenneth... I had no idea Duck Rabbit delved into the dark lagers..

Poured into my shaped SA glass... 1" tan head drops sorta quickly leaving behind good lace and a beautiful cap... the brew is actually pretty damn dark.. even for a schwarzbier..

The nose is all dark malts and some cold brewed coffee.. very clean... This smells very very fresh.. I'm digging it already... sorta..

Flavor is very fresh too.. but seems way to aggressive out of the gate .. dark malts lend a bunch of drying qualities ... no sweetness other than some background caramel malts.. and that is pretty far in the background.. bitter chocolate.. not burnt at all...but it comes damn close.. finish is clean with some coffee grounds.. Lite/medium body with a pretty high carbonation.. very drinkable for only a beer probably tonight.. but another one of these, and I'd have a much harder time..

There is probably too much roasted grain/coffee flavors in this one.... dial it back a notch or two and then we're talkin'.. I've found many american breweries go overboard on the roasted malts.. this is no exception ... but it is still pretty damn good.. just too much of a good thing by a long shot... this is not supposed to be a stout with lager yeast.

4/3.5/4/4/3.5

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Got this an an extra in a trade. Not my usual style, but it's pretty tasty.

Looks quite nice and black, lets some light around the edges. White fluffy head that leaves some very nice lacing.

Scents are gentle all around. Roast, coffee, chocolate malt.

Taste follows the nose with a clean flavor. A light chocolate malt appears on the finish.

Mouthfeel is very nice for the style and ABV.

Great to try this but I would not seek out again. Overall an enjoyable easy drinker.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

I was worried at first because it sounded and looked like I had poured a cola into the glass. A lot of sizzle and an active head with bursting microbubbles. But then it settled down I was able to pour more into the glass and raise the head well above the rim of the Duck-rabbit tulip I got in a BIF trade. As I continued to pour, the top of the head began to look the top of a soft-serve cone...coffee flavored. Absolutely awesome!

Roasted malts mixed with German hops make up the nose, smelling a little like a Baltic porter, for anyone not familiar with a schwarzbier. For anyone not familiar with a Baltic porter that means some dark fruits and a vinous quality amid roasted malts and a touch of hops. In this case the hops, being German, give off a bit of floral.

The taste is a bit disappointing, but still good. There's a metallic tang, like licking a penny...go ahead try it...you know you want to. But beneath that are the roasted malts and the hops. The copper tang lessens as the beer warms, but is still pretty distracting. This does not seem to often be an issue with this beer, so I'm assuming it is either this batch or this bottle. No one knows where metallic tastes comes from (even some think they know), but the only theory I could check was the bottle cap and it seemed fine.

The beer was a little over-carbonated, as I suspected from the initial pour, so there was a bit of tingle in the mouth, but it didn't lessen the body considerably.

I feel that this could be a phenomenal brew. I'll need to get another bottle to confirm that this is an anomaly. If I can, then I will surely change my score in the Taste category.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to BucketBoy for the generous extra. 12oz. bottle served in a pilsener glass. Best by 11/11 notched on the label. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a loose, one inch, khaki-colored head. Head eventually settles into a solid skim with thick swaths of lacing revealed during the tasting. Nose suggests cocoa and lactose (similar to what I get from a milk stout) as well as a hint of wheat. Taste consistent with nose - chalky cocoa and a light metallic character and a slightly watery quality. Mouthfeel is light-bodied with an even carbonation. Easy drinking and flavorful, but I've had better examples of the style. That being said, it still goes down quite easy.

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%

pours a dark dark molasses brown with an intense over-carbonated head of a billion fingers, that eventually fades and leaves a surprisingly small lace.

aroma is pleasantly earthy, malty, hints of vanilla and a bit of spice. cocoa and a touch of chocolate.

taste is robustly earthy with caramel, cocoa and coffee undertones. roasty with a hint of green hops.

medium body for the style with some crazy carbonation that slowly mellows out as it sits. but still sharp and a bit too fizzy to really hit it home.

all in all, this is a solid schwarzbier. the carbonation is a bit tough to get by, but the flavors and aroma are really top notch. Definitely worth seeking out.

3.82/5  rDev -4.7%

aggressively poured from the bottle nearly pitch black with a hint of head lasting maybe 5 seconds.

aroma of a dark smoky espresso roast.

very nice smooth coffee up front with toasted caramel and dark chocolate following up. maybe a little thin, but still quite good.

smooth, silky, heavier carbonation than expected, no bitterness whatsoever detected.

very drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

A really well done Schwarz. Pours a heady (very heady) deep, almost black with a fluffy pale head. Lightly roasted notes come through on the nose, accentuated on the palate, with a nice balance of earthy, faintly citric hopping and a crackery body. Medium to light bodied with an acidic finish. Could drink it all evening.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

This poured a nearly opaque dark ruby color with a fair amount of tan head. It smelled like roasted barley with muted caramel and coffee and some smoke. It tasted like roasted coffee and burnt barley, with some oak and smoke. It was watery with moderate carbonation, and had a bitter coffee aftertaste. Overall this had an interesting taste that was heavier and smokier than expected from a schwarzbier. Almost seemed more like a smoked porter to me. It had decent body, but nothing great, and was pretty easy to drink. The taste wasn't perfectly clean, but it was generally enjoyable. Given the limited nature of this beer, you can skip it without worrying about missing too much.

Duck-Rabbit Schwarzbier from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery