Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)
The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)
Notes: The Duck-Rabbit Hoppy Bunny American Black Ale is both intensely hoppy and intensely black! Eight separate hop additions offer delicious bitterness and beguiling hop aroma/flavor. Heavily represented among these hops are Chinook, which provides deep pine and sticky citrus components, and a New Zealand hop called Motueka, from which we get bright fruit and spearmint notes.
Reviews: 138 | Ratings: 582
3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

(12 oz bottle, enjoy by 4/18, purchased today, sitting at room temp... poured into a nonic)

L: ton of tan foam on the pour (took up almost half the glass); very dark black-cherry red colored liquid... foam collapsed slow, keeping a chunky, rocky contour... several thins strands of crystalline lace

S: mellow, perfumy-floral hop, bit of a polyester(?)/carpet note... maybe a little roast, but not much at all... mostly a hard-candy like malt aroma far in the back... bit of oxidation

T: clashing static up front: intertwining layers of flowery, piney hops; smooth, sedate, berry hard-candy malt middle; hints of light caramel and dried grass in the finish; very faint peppery spice in the aftertaste - their description of spearmint seems right on, especially in that aftertaste (also on the nose leading up to each sip)... the flavors are so polished and married at its age; features more of a spectrum blend than hard-angled contrasting elements

F: quiet, a little too quiet... soft foamy touch up front, short syrup swoop in the middle, disappearing finish with a touch of bitter and booze warmth lingering through the finish... silky-resiny, silky soft

O: despite the age, had to try it; I don't often encounter (the broad range of) DR beers in my travels; as far as reviews, I had 2 of their core line on their main 'current' list here left to do... interesting, boldly-flavored, but perhaps its age has resulted in mellowed/muted expression... will track down a fresh(er) bottle considering its (hop counterpoint) novelty within their lineup (1404)

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours boldly black, medium body with khaki lacing. Nose is earthy, peat, pine. Taste is malty, with pine, citrus and yes spearmint notes. This is now one of my favorite black ales.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. A thin tan head falls quickly with mild lacing. Color is dark reddish brown. Aroma citrus, pine, and roasted malt. Mouthfeel between light and medium, astringent, with a somewhat damp finish. Balance of grapefruit, citrus rind with dark roasted malt, cocoa, raisin. Overall it is very good and enjoyable.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black body with a tan head that leaves nice lacing on the drink down. Decent mouthfeel but the taste didn’t work for me as it was bitter overpowering the roasted notes.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: dark brown with a thick 2" head that produces some nice lace.

Smell: pine and citrus tones along with some toasted tones.

Taste: big roasted malt flavors with grapefruit, pine, some dark plums, chocolate, and a nice biting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Crisp to start, less crisp and dry at the finish.

Overall: very enjoyable beer with loads of flavor. Slow sipping but intense.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle dated "enjoy by 7/17" (maybe - if I'm interpreting the label correctly) into pint glass. Pours a very dark brown - almost porter- or stout-like. Thin light tan head. Initial impression is dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a touch of citrus. I'm not getting much hops flavor (possibly because of the age of this bottle - 6 months past its "best by" date). Mouthfeel is fairly thick. Alcohol is well hidden. Finish is surprisingly dry, with slightly bitter dark chocolate notes.
In all honesty, this seemed more like a Porter or a thin Stout.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A malty delight. Gifted a bottle from a friend; didn’t notice a bottled date.

A real looker in the glass - thick black body with an impressive foam-insulation-like khaki head.

Aroma is 80% malt - char, roasted grains, light coffee, burnt bread - and 20% hops - citrus and subtle pine. The hops are there but they’re beneath the malt, which is fine by me.

Taste is rich, creamy toasted malt, char, dark roast coffee grounds, bitter cocoa and light pine. If it was 80/20 in the aroma it’s 90/10 in taste, but the hops do bring an pronounced bitterness that hits towards the middle of the sip and then lingers.

Nice weight to the beer - definitely feels all of it’s ABV. Thick and chewy for its size. No alcohol heat just warmth that I associate with thicker beers.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap.

A - Very dark brown/black pour with a creamy tan lacing that's very sticky.

S - Toasted cocoa, dark chocolate, and citrus.

T - Dark chocolate, toasted cocoa, some orange and grapefruit citrus, and ends with a lingering piney citrus bitterness. Lingering dark chocolate roast on the palate.

M - Medium body and extremely dry on the back end. Coats the mouth with a gritty hoppy chocolate bitterness while vaporizing any remaining saliva left in the mouth. (!!)

O - Not a fan of black IPA's but this is one of the better ones I've had.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer has a nice dark amber orange/red look that's opaque when held to the light with a slight head from tap. Caramel malt scent all over this beer that is quite powerful which I will give it props for(not my favorite type of malt). Slightly sweet and caramel malt filled flavor to this brew. I get some slightly bitter dark chocolate notes on the finish with this beer. At least medium thick if not more with a bit less carbonation. This beer worked for me and I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 0z. bottle from duck rabbit mixed 12 pack
Fair enough tan head when poured into pint glass.

Delicious aroma! Roasty, and a unique crisp, almost coffee with a delicate mintiness....wonderful.

Flavor is a decidedly bitter espresso-type, but his has the licorice/minty notes. Balanced like a duck on a bowling pin...the unique variety of hoppiness comes throughat the finish, but such a nice balance with the rich dark malts....it's a gem.

To me, this may as well be labeled a stout, and one of exceptional quality...crisp, light, dry, and full. Nailed it, bunny.

Definitely worth putting a couple in your next mix 6.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours one of the darkest colors that I have ever seen, light won't go through at all when held up to sky. Pours a thin off-white head, can't see the carbonation due to lack of visibility Smells slightly hoppy and heavy malty. Taste is definitely Guinness like just thinner feeling. Overall I would think of this as more of a porter and hope to enjoy more.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a bottle, pours as opaque black with a frothy khaki head. Subtle aromas of sweet malts and indistinct citrus. Flavors of roasted malt, pine, and bitter hops. Other reviewers note chocolate and coffee flavors; I don't find these, but concede that there most be multiple hop varieties used. Overall, nicely sustaining flavors.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Today is Easter Sunday 2017, Su, 16 April 2017 & I have been saving this beer specifically for today! Think of it, what could be more appropriate than a hoppy bunny leaving me some beer in my basket? Interestingly, on my walk home last night, I saw a couple of rabbits running around in a nearby lumberyard. I think that they might have been getting busy when I walked by & my presence really scared them into darting around. I have a feeling that they resumed their unfinished business once I continued on my merry way.

From the bottle: "Made in Farmville, North Carolina"; "Proudly hand made in small batches".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution and my Lenten denial. Aggro pours from bottles are now (mostly) a thing of the past. I am really coming to embrace a vigorous in-glass swirl since it is much less likely to bungle things up. For Yeaster, I got just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention, leaving some great lacing in its wake. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration & evincing cola highlights only at the edges. Nose had the same (IMHO) wasteful use of cool, minty hops with really dark malts with notes of black coffee and dark chocolate. My problem with this style is that the malts get in the way of the hops and overpower them. It's sad to this hophead. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was actually not as roasty as some that I have drank & reviewed. When a balance, as such, is struck, the beer can taste like a liquefied Peppermint Patty. This one was still a bit too chocolaty for my taste, but at least I could still taste the mintiness of the hops. I did not really get coffee in the flavor like I did on the nose, but I certainly tasted dark chocolate! I liked the cool counterbalance of the hops, but I wish that they had been more prevalent. Oh well. I guess that you can't have everything - where would you put it all? Finish was dry, more roasty than hoppy, but fairly bitter in sum. However, I am still not sold on the style, which is the dictum for the basis of any review.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Curious about this beer and picked one up at grocery near Wilmington Delaware. Overall I wasn't too thrilled. To me it tasted like a coffee or chicolats stout or porter. Maybe the black color fooled my nose and taste buds, but I don't smell or taste anything fruity or mint. I taste char and malt and that's about it. Could be that this style may not be my thing.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

01/03/16
Bottle to glass,
LOOK: Dark black, creamy whitehead.
AROMA: Aroma is charred malt. Fennel? Mint? Some interesting aromas going on. Different, but it works.
TASTE: Taste is malt, ash, spice, more fennel....is this beer or Sausage?
Really good beer with some interesting flavors.

3.93/5  rDev +1%

2017-02-03
12oz bottle served in a tulip. @mr-jj gave it to me. If there is a date, I don't see it.

Pours black with a small head. Carbonation is moderate. Smell is roasty, chocolatey, a little mild.

Taste is moderate milk chocolate sweetness, moderate roast bitterness, and a strong hoppy bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is moderately thin, pretty effervescent. Overall, nice.

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Smokey, ashy, char, milk chocolate, caramel, and some citrus.

Taste: Still get that ashy char flavor, citrus, milk chocolate, roasted, jeuamel, and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, charry bitterness, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Not my favorite style, but still traditional and tastes like all the other ABA'S I've had.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a opaque black color with a tan brown head that slowly dissipates and leaves a slight bit of lacing.

S: Lots of pine and a little bit of citrus from the hops, chocolate and some coffee, baked dark bread.

T: Strong piney hop bitterness, with a nice milk chocolate backbone and some crusty bread.

F: Creamy body with strong bitterness but it is not astringent.

O: Not groundbreaking but still a solid beer.

3.23/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy-Bunny has a thin-to-medium beige head, a dark brown appearance, with regular brown showing up, as the light hits it, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is of a touch of bright citrus, brown bread crust, and Medium Master Chef Coffee. Taste is of brown bread, bitterness, bread crust, a touch of citrus, a ghost of chocolate, and no char. Mouthfeel is low medium, and Hoppy-Bunny finishes relatively mellow and medium dry. For a 7.3% ale, booze is not picked up.

RJT

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours like a stout. Smells like an IPA. Tastes like a bitter but roasty porter and feels creamy, again like a stout. Overall, it's pretty decent. But I don't love it.

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: It pours a dark brown with very little light that comes through it. It has a brown head that does produce some lacing.

Smell: It has aromas of caramel and roast. The combination of spearmint and citrus hops gives it a very perfume like aroma.

Taste: There are flavors of roast, spearmint notes, citrus, some burnt characteristics, and chocolate.

Feel: It has a moderate feel with a fairly heavy bitter finish.

Overall this is a unique take on a black IPA in that the spearmint gives the roast and chocolate and the citrus hops a sweet tinge to it.

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had at Only Burger, Durham, North Carolina, poured from 12-oz. bottle into clear plastic beer cup. Malty enough to stand up to the cheeseburger, but hoppy enough to refresh the palate throughout the feast.

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have not had a bad Duck Rabbit brew, and from the looks of it, this won't be the first. Pours very black with an extreme sliver of cola col at the bottom. and a healthy dark tan head. The nose is all malt for me; chocolate and coffee and burnt toast. From the smell, if you told me this was a stout I'd buy it. As it warms some backing hops come into focus but they are still second fiddle at best.

The taste is also malt dominated initially but the hops make a strong push late. A really nice balance that holds together all the way through. The texture and finish is silk smooth, almost like a jazzed up shwarzbier, which for me is a very good thing. Overall, complex and satisfying, just like I've come to expect from this brewer.

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery "Hoppy Bunny ABA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, notched "for best flavor" 12/15... looks like I missed it by 3 months!
$1.99 @ Giant Market, Upper Darby, PA

So it looks like I've missed the boat on this one. I don't detect any oxidation, but I can't tell if it's as hoppy as it was fresh... I'm guessing not, how could it be? It's piney, a bit fruity (some apple, red berry, orange) and floral, and somewhat herbal, but not bombastic. The rich maltiness remains for sure, but again, I'm sailing under a cloudy night sky at this point. It's somewhat roasty with lots of bittersweet dark chocolate, but no coffee. It's a little bit nutty, and a bit caramelish, but not quite toffee-like... more like almost-burnt brown sugar with bitter-skinned nuts (definitely like walnut in the finish). Looks like it'll be back to the store for another sample on this one, but I'm finding it really enjoyable, so I'll give it a hedonistic review base on that and update when I can.

3.54/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Black with thick tan head that lasts awhile, good looking brew. Roasty aroma. Burnt caramel and chocolate roastiness, woodsy hops. The flavor lingers. Mouthfeel is thin. Overall an average black IPA.

Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale) from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery