Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: American Black Ale

The Duck-Rabbit Hoppy Bunny American Black Ale is both intensely hoppy and intensely black! Eight separate hop additions offer delicious bitterness and beguiling hop aroma/flavor. Heavily represented among these hops are Chinook, which provides deep pine and sticky citrus components, and a New Zealand hop called Motueka, from which we get bright fruit and spearmint notes.

Added by Jason on 04-23-2012

3.9

Reviews: 126 | Ratings: 556
3.84/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a bottle, pours as opaque black with a frothy khaki head. Subtle aromas of sweet malts and indistinct citrus. Flavors of roasted malt, pine, and bitter hops. Other reviewers note chocolate and coffee flavors; I don't find these, but concede that there most be multiple hop varieties used. Overall, nicely sustaining flavors.

3.94/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Today is Easter Sunday 2017, Su, 16 April 2017 & I have been saving this beer specifically for today! Think of it, what could be more appropriate than a hoppy bunny leaving me some beer in my basket? Interestingly, on my walk home last night, I saw a couple of rabbits running around in a nearby lumberyard. I think that they might have been getting busy when I walked by & my presence really scared them into darting around. I have a feeling that they resumed their unfinished business once I continued on my merry way.

From the bottle: "Made in Farmville, North Carolina"; "Proudly hand made in small batches".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution and my Lenten denial. Aggro pours from bottles are now (mostly) a thing of the past. I am really coming to embrace a vigorous in-glass swirl since it is much less likely to bungle things up. For Yeaster, I got just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention, leaving some great lacing in its wake. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration & evincing cola highlights only at the edges. Nose had the same (IMHO) wasteful use of cool, minty hops with really dark malts with notes of black coffee and dark chocolate. My problem with this style is that the malts get in the way of the hops and overpower them. It's sad to this hophead. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was actually not as roasty as some that I have drank & reviewed. When a balance, as such, is struck, the beer can taste like a liquefied Peppermint Patty. This one was still a bit too chocolaty for my taste, but at least I could still taste the mintiness of the hops. I did not really get coffee in the flavor like I did on the nose, but I certainly tasted dark chocolate! I liked the cool counterbalance of the hops, but I wish that they had been more prevalent. Oh well. I guess that you can't have everything - where would you put it all? Finish was dry, more roasty than hoppy, but fairly bitter in sum. However, I am still not sold on the style, which is the dictum for the basis of any review.

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Curious about this beer and picked one up at grocery near Wilmington Delaware. Overall I wasn't too thrilled. To me it tasted like a coffee or chicolats stout or porter. Maybe the black color fooled my nose and taste buds, but I don't smell or taste anything fruity or mint. I taste char and malt and that's about it. Could be that this style may not be my thing.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

01/03/16
Bottle to glass,
LOOK: Dark black, creamy whitehead.
AROMA: Aroma is charred malt. Fennel? Mint? Some interesting aromas going on. Different, but it works.
TASTE: Taste is malt, ash, spice, more fennel....is this beer or Sausage?
Really good beer with some interesting flavors.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

2017-02-03
12oz bottle served in a tulip. @mr-jj gave it to me. If there is a date, I don't see it.

Pours black with a small head. Carbonation is moderate. Smell is roasty, chocolatey, a little mild.

Taste is moderate milk chocolate sweetness, moderate roast bitterness, and a strong hoppy bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is moderately thin, pretty effervescent. Overall, nice.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Smokey, ashy, char, milk chocolate, caramel, and some citrus.

Taste: Still get that ashy char flavor, citrus, milk chocolate, roasted, jeuamel, and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, charry bitterness, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Not my favorite style, but still traditional and tastes like all the other ABA'S I've had.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a opaque black color with a tan brown head that slowly dissipates and leaves a slight bit of lacing.

S: Lots of pine and a little bit of citrus from the hops, chocolate and some coffee, baked dark bread.

T: Strong piney hop bitterness, with a nice milk chocolate backbone and some crusty bread.

F: Creamy body with strong bitterness but it is not astringent.

O: Not groundbreaking but still a solid beer.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy-Bunny has a thin-to-medium beige head, a dark brown appearance, with regular brown showing up, as the light hits it, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is of a touch of bright citrus, brown bread crust, and Medium Master Chef Coffee. Taste is of brown bread, bitterness, bread crust, a touch of citrus, a ghost of chocolate, and no char. Mouthfeel is low medium, and Hoppy-Bunny finishes relatively mellow and medium dry. For a 7.3% ale, booze is not picked up.

RJT

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours like a stout. Smells like an IPA. Tastes like a bitter but roasty porter and feels creamy, again like a stout. Overall, it's pretty decent. But I don't love it.

3.72/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: It pours a dark brown with very little light that comes through it. It has a brown head that does produce some lacing.

Smell: It has aromas of caramel and roast. The combination of spearmint and citrus hops gives it a very perfume like aroma.

Taste: There are flavors of roast, spearmint notes, citrus, some burnt characteristics, and chocolate.

Feel: It has a moderate feel with a fairly heavy bitter finish.

Overall this is a unique take on a black IPA in that the spearmint gives the roast and chocolate and the citrus hops a sweet tinge to it.

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had at Only Burger, Durham, North Carolina, poured from 12-oz. bottle into clear plastic beer cup. Malty enough to stand up to the cheeseburger, but hoppy enough to refresh the palate throughout the feast.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have not had a bad Duck Rabbit brew, and from the looks of it, this won't be the first. Pours very black with an extreme sliver of cola col at the bottom. and a healthy dark tan head. The nose is all malt for me; chocolate and coffee and burnt toast. From the smell, if you told me this was a stout I'd buy it. As it warms some backing hops come into focus but they are still second fiddle at best.

The taste is also malt dominated initially but the hops make a strong push late. A really nice balance that holds together all the way through. The texture and finish is silk smooth, almost like a jazzed up shwarzbier, which for me is a very good thing. Overall, complex and satisfying, just like I've come to expect from this brewer.

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery "Hoppy Bunny ABA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, notched "for best flavor" 12/15... looks like I missed it by 3 months!
$1.99 @ Giant Market, Upper Darby, PA

So it looks like I've missed the boat on this one. I don't detect any oxidation, but I can't tell if it's as hoppy as it was fresh... I'm guessing not, how could it be? It's piney, a bit fruity (some apple, red berry, orange) and floral, and somewhat herbal, but not bombastic. The rich maltiness remains for sure, but again, I'm sailing under a cloudy night sky at this point. It's somewhat roasty with lots of bittersweet dark chocolate, but no coffee. It's a little bit nutty, and a bit caramelish, but not quite toffee-like... more like almost-burnt brown sugar with bitter-skinned nuts (definitely like walnut in the finish). Looks like it'll be back to the store for another sample on this one, but I'm finding it really enjoyable, so I'll give it a hedonistic review base on that and update when I can.

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Black with thick tan head that lasts awhile, good looking brew. Roasty aroma. Burnt caramel and chocolate roastiness, woodsy hops. The flavor lingers. Mouthfeel is thin. Overall an average black IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours ebony with a sliver of tan head. Pretty good head retention & lacing

S: Roasty & a little dark fruit

T: Roasty, slight carob notes, dryness, woody hops & pineyness up front. Carob & roastyness as this warms, woody & herbal hops. Finishes roasty, with a little carob & woody & piney hops

MF: Medium body. moderate carbonation, nice balance

Drinks pretty easy for the style & ABV

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours black with tall, long lasting, fluffy, brown head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, oranges, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate malt. Body is full, creamy and tangy. Herbal hops dominate the palate, while toasted, chocolate malt, dark fruit, brown sugar provide support. Finish is long and very bitter. Good brew, although Iā€™m not a fan of the style.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blind tasted this beer and enjoyed the bitterness an noticed a little chocolate on the nose that it brought, which was unexpected. Lace lingers but wasn't to thick, would've like to see more. Overall my impression was a nice black ale that showed up on the pallet with a hoppy but not over the top finish.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Best by Feb 2015 at 40 degrees into shaker
Aroma of pine
Head enormous (> 8cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, slooowly diminishing to broken frothy layer and large clots of foam on sides of glass
Lacing ā€“ none beyond initial contraction of head
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor ā€“ some toasted malt, a hint of licorice, light hop bitterness and weak citrus taste; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, creamy, soft carbonation

Appearance 4.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 3.5, Palate 4, Overall 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: jetk with a finger of tan head, a film of which lingered.

Aroma: For something called "hoppy" the nose is very malty with notes of chocolate and vanilla. THough some say the hop character is citrus, it strikes me as spicey and peppery.

Flavor: like the nose up front, roasted malt kind of like a porter, dry hop finish.

Mouth feel: smooth, full bodied, not overly carbonated.

The nose is my favorite aspect of this ale and I rated it accordingly. If have this again for sure.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter. 7.3% abv

Appearance- Deep black with a massive tan colored head.

Smell- Citric notes of grapefruit and orange. Vanilla and cocoa hints as well.

Taste- Smoky flavors surround the toasted caramel malt. Cocoa slowly picks up as well in the flavor profile until leading up to a bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel- Thick and heavy in body. The carbonation is quite lively.

Overall- Interesting, as the cocoa flavor adds complexity for such a hoppy beer. IPA meets porter. A good sipping beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Very dark brown color, deep red around the edge of the glass. Creamy brown head 2-3 fingers. Good retention and lacing.

S - Citrus and floral hops upfront. Roasted malts come through as well. Some cocoa. Very hoppy dark beer

T - Picking up everything I got in the smell, Definitely like a black ipa. Very piney and bitter citrus flavors. Roasted malts are coming through as it warms up, but still a very strong hop presence. Slightly metallic bitterness on the back end, seems stringer when cold and fades as the beer warms. Best after being out of the fridge for 20 minutes or so.

F - Strong carbonation that works very well here, giving it a mouth feel like an ipa.

Another very good beer from duck rabbit. I wish this one was more common, hard to find outside of bottle shops, even in NC. Would like to see this one on draft a little more often, Ive had it at festivals and would order this beer regularly. Great hop lovers beer from the dark beer specialist.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I might've entered my rating a little early, as this drink got better over time. Right out of the fridge, the flavors seemed timid and not all that complex. As the beer warmed up, the foretaste seemed more and more "stouty" while the aftertaste developed a hoppier tone. Nice roasted malts up front. Smooth on the tongue. And very pleasant hops in the gullet. Don't confuse this with an Imperial Black but do give it a try... just let it sit a while before you make up your mind.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Based on this beer's name, I was expecting, well, something a bit more hoppy. That's OK though. This beer was still nice to drink. It reminded me more of a brown ale with some nice nutty notes.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Poured a black body (close enough to black) with minimal head and lace patches.
Aroma is more roasted malts with some caramel and chocolate than hops but both malts and hops are noticeable in aroma.
Malts are in full force as I get a bready, slightly chewy beer with some caramel and chocolate sweetness with a little bit of hoppy dryness that leads to a dry, crisp, slightly bitter finish.
Not a bad beer but one that favors the malts more than the hops.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

I was recently on a vacation with my wife and her family visiting some of her extended family in Virginia and there was a Wegman's located close to the hotel we were staying at so I went in there and grabbed some singles of beers from breweries that I have never seen in Cleveland before (or anywhere else that comes to mind for that matter). This is one of the ones I grabbed. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black color that is not letting in any light. Has a creamy, frothy looking tan head that is about 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured. Settles to a good solid 1/3 of an inch thick with nice lacing. Good retention here. Aromas of roasted malts and hints of chocolate and citrus hops. Flavors of roasted caramel malt sweetness mixed with chocolate and roasted coffee bitterness that nicely gives way to some piney and citrusy hop bitterness. Very nice flavor profile here indeed! Has a slightly crisp and prickly, mainly smooth and creamy/frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Excellent drinkability here! Worth a try for sure!

Eric