Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale) | The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)
3.86/5
Very Good
Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale)

The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
North Carolina, United States
duckrabbitbrewery.com

Style: American Black Ale

The Duck-Rabbit Hoppy Bunny American Black Ale is both intensely hoppy and intensely black! Eight separate hop additions offer delicious bitterness and beguiling hop aroma/flavor. Heavily represented among these hops are Chinook, which provides deep pine and sticky citrus components, and a New Zealand hop called Motueka, from which we get bright fruit and spearmint notes.

Added by Jason on 04-23-2012

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. A thin tan head falls quickly with mild lacing. Color is dark reddish brown. Aroma citrus, pine, and roasted malt. Mouthfeel between light and medium, astringent, with a somewhat damp finish. Balance of grapefruit, citrus rind with dark roasted malt, cocoa, raisin. Overall it is very good and enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black body with a tan head that leaves nice lacing on the drink down. Decent mouthfeel but the taste didn’t work for me as it was bitter overpowering the roasted notes.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: dark brown with a thick 2" head that produces some nice lace.

Smell: pine and citrus tones along with some toasted tones.

Taste: big roasted malt flavors with grapefruit, pine, some dark plums, chocolate, and a nice biting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Crisp to start, less crisp and dry at the finish.

Overall: very enjoyable beer with loads of flavor. Slow sipping but intense.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Bottle dated "enjoy by 7/17" (maybe - if I'm interpreting the label correctly) into pint glass. Pours a very dark brown - almost porter- or stout-like. Thin light tan head. Initial impression is dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a touch of citrus. I'm not getting much hops flavor (possibly because of the age of this bottle - 6 months past its "best by" date). Mouthfeel is fairly thick. Alcohol is well hidden. Finish is surprisingly dry, with slightly bitter dark chocolate notes.
In all honesty, this seemed more like a Porter or a thin Stout.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A malty delight. Gifted a bottle from a friend; didn’t notice a bottled date.

A real looker in the glass - thick black body with an impressive foam-insulation-like khaki head.

Aroma is 80% malt - char, roasted grains, light coffee, burnt bread - and 20% hops - citrus and subtle pine. The hops are there but they’re beneath the malt, which is fine by me.

Taste is rich, creamy toasted malt, char, dark roast coffee grounds, bitter cocoa and light pine. If it was 80/20 in the aroma it’s 90/10 in taste, but the hops do bring an pronounced bitterness that hits towards the middle of the sip and then lingers.

Nice weight to the beer - definitely feels all of it’s ABV. Thick and chewy for its size. No alcohol heat just warmth that I associate with thicker beers.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.86/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap.

A - Very dark brown/black pour with a creamy tan lacing that's very sticky.

S - Toasted cocoa, dark chocolate, and citrus.

T - Dark chocolate, toasted cocoa, some orange and grapefruit citrus, and ends with a lingering piney citrus bitterness. Lingering dark chocolate roast on the palate.

M - Medium body and extremely dry on the back end. Coats the mouth with a gritty hoppy chocolate bitterness while vaporizing any remaining saliva left in the mouth. (!!)

O - Not a fan of black IPA's but this is one of the better ones I've had.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer has a nice dark amber orange/red look that's opaque when held to the light with a slight head from tap. Caramel malt scent all over this beer that is quite powerful which I will give it props for(not my favorite type of malt). Slightly sweet and caramel malt filled flavor to this brew. I get some slightly bitter dark chocolate notes on the finish with this beer. At least medium thick if not more with a bit less carbonation. This beer worked for me and I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 0z. bottle from mix pack out of World Market, Asheville....it's black alright. as in nothing from my white Ba screen shows thought it.
Fair enough tan head when poured into my Highland pint glass.

Delicious aroma! Roasty, and a unique crisp, almost coffee with a delicate mintiness....wonderful.

Flavor is a decidedly bitter espresso-type, minus the minty notes. Balanced like a duck on a bowling pin...the unique variety of hoppiness comes throughat the finish, but such a nice balance with the rich dark malts....it's a gem.

To me, this may as well be labeled a stout, and one of exceptional quality...crisp, light, dry, and full. Nailed it, bunny.

Definitely worth putting a couple in your next mix 6.

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours one of the darkest colors that I have ever seen, light won't go through at all when held up to sky. Pours a thin off-white head, can't see the carbonation due to lack of visibility Smells slightly hoppy and heavy malty. Taste is definitely Guinness like just thinner feeling. Overall I would think of this as more of a porter and hope to enjoy more.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a bottle, pours as opaque black with a frothy khaki head. Subtle aromas of sweet malts and indistinct citrus. Flavors of roasted malt, pine, and bitter hops. Other reviewers note chocolate and coffee flavors; I don't find these, but concede that there most be multiple hop varieties used. Overall, nicely sustaining flavors.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Today is Easter Sunday 2017, Su, 16 April 2017 & I have been saving this beer specifically for today! Think of it, what could be more appropriate than a hoppy bunny leaving me some beer in my basket? Interestingly, on my walk home last night, I saw a couple of rabbits running around in a nearby lumberyard. I think that they might have been getting busy when I walked by & my presence really scared them into darting around. I have a feeling that they resumed their unfinished business once I continued on my merry way.

From the bottle: "Made in Farmville, North Carolina"; "Proudly hand made in small batches".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution and my Lenten denial. Aggro pours from bottles are now (mostly) a thing of the past. I am really coming to embrace a vigorous in-glass swirl since it is much less likely to bungle things up. For Yeaster, I got just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention, leaving some great lacing in its wake. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration & evincing cola highlights only at the edges. Nose had the same (IMHO) wasteful use of cool, minty hops with really dark malts with notes of black coffee and dark chocolate. My problem with this style is that the malts get in the way of the hops and overpower them. It's sad to this hophead. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was actually not as roasty as some that I have drank & reviewed. When a balance, as such, is struck, the beer can taste like a liquefied Peppermint Patty. This one was still a bit too chocolaty for my taste, but at least I could still taste the mintiness of the hops. I did not really get coffee in the flavor like I did on the nose, but I certainly tasted dark chocolate! I liked the cool counterbalance of the hops, but I wish that they had been more prevalent. Oh well. I guess that you can't have everything - where would you put it all? Finish was dry, more roasty than hoppy, but fairly bitter in sum. However, I am still not sold on the style, which is the dictum for the basis of any review.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Curious about this beer and picked one up at grocery near Wilmington Delaware. Overall I wasn't too thrilled. To me it tasted like a coffee or chicolats stout or porter. Maybe the black color fooled my nose and taste buds, but I don't smell or taste anything fruity or mint. I taste char and malt and that's about it. Could be that this style may not be my thing.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hoppy Bunny A.B.A. (American Black Ale) from The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery