Southern Pale Ale | Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.

good
Southern Pale AleSouthern Pale Ale

Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
nattygreenes.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Malts: Maris Otter, Cara Vienna, Munich Malt, Cara Munich

Hops: Magnum, Cascade, Cascade dry hop

Yeast: Chico No. 2, 1272

Added by oberon on 08-05-2004

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: 1” fluffy white head, cloudy golden color with significant carbonation. Large amount of lacing as well.
Aroma: Citrus dominates – tangerine and orange. Some biscuit malt as well and a bit of yeasty bread.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied and somewhat sticky, noticeable carbonation in the swallow with a dry finish.
Flavor: toasted bread, a bit of raisin, tangerine. Flavor is more balanced than the aroma.
Overall: I found this brew enjoyable and drinkable. A nice session ale.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a pale, golden-copper coloring with no real head to speak of. Aromas of buttered biscuits, lemon sweet, cut grass, and subtle pepper notes. Subtle nose overall. Flavors are tart and tangy forward, with a blast of lemon first, followed by an almost astringent mouthfeel, grass and bitter hops backbone, and some errant ethyl notes. This seems like a bit of a mess on the palate. Light bodied that turns to sharp and astringent about mid-drink. The aftertaste has a solid roasted backbone to a very sweet, tart linger on a dry finish. I'm kind of wondering if this was a bad batch...I'm going to have to try it another time and possibly re-assess.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Found this on the shelf at a local Food City Grocery Store and thought I would give it a try. This beer caught me off guard because I am not overly fond of Pale Ales. But this one has changed my mind. The color and head were impressive. The smell, was interesting and made me think I was about to taste something different from what the usual pale ales have been for me. Then, the taste blew me away. I was floored by how good this ale was . A slight bitterness that leaned toward an IPA but not quite, which was very good as I am a big IPA fan. I finished the one I had and now know when I go back to restock, the Natty Greene Southern Pale Ale will be one of my six packs to bring home.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beer was overall not bad. It was a bit of a gusher though which leads me to believe I didn't experience the best this beer could be.

After the foam explosion settled down, I had a hazy golden beer with a big frothy head. Retention was good and there were broken bands of lacing on the pint glass.

Smell was minimal. Some sweet malt and a little grassy hops.

Taste was ok. A bit sweet, more malty than hoppy.

Mouthfeel was rich enough but not as crisp as most good APAs.

Overall, not a bad beer but there are so many better examples of this style. I may try another one just to see if I had an infected beer.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a clear golden straw with a nice finger of light tan head, ok retention, leaves behind a very spotty thin layer after a couple minutes, fairly thick outer ring, strong lacing.

S - Very grassy sweet, somewhat pilsner-esque, bready mild caramel malts.

T - Quite dry, a nice mix of caramel sweet malts, toasty breadyness, and light grassy hops. Doesnt linger much at all, aftertaste is minimally unpleasant. Decent overall but a pretty uneventful brewski.

M - Light crisp and very refreshing, fantastically drinkable.

O - Solid but somewhat run of the mill/boring.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Southern Pale Ale from Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing Co.