100 Barrel Series #49 - Brown IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Added by Maxwell on 02-10-2014

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bomber poured into a bulbed out pint glass. Liquid portion comes out as amber red as you can possibly be before breaking the threshold of becoming brown. Well filtered beer that glows deep amber with excellent clarity. Off white to tan colored head, mostly small bubbles with awesome lacing.

Smell is absolutely outstanding. Pretty hop forward with Simcoe, Chinook, and Amarillo hops (according to the label). I've always thought Simcoe and Chinook meshed well together and this is another example; Amarillo is a welcomed companion. None of these hops are super agressive and it's not over hopped so it's got a light citrus, peel and slight pine aromas. Nice chocolate and honey pale malts accompany the hops and it all blends very nicely.

Taste is almost as good as the smell. Strong malt backbone present out of the gate. Freshly baked brown wheat bread drizzled with a coco/honey sauce. After that sprinkle in some orange peel zest to top it off. Has a nice naturally gooey aftertaste of pine needles. Really nice flavor, love it. Beers like this make me believe that "Brown IPA" should be it's own style.

Mouthfeel is good but not great. It's certainly full bodied with a nice lingering flavor. Slight sweetness in the beginning leading to an aggressive earthy bitterness and the transition is slightly harsh due to it being a little more carbonated than I'd prefer, but I know I'm being a little nit picky. A little gritty even though initially sweet, and a really really dry finish making this a very nice anytime/year round drinkable beer.

Never been a huge fan of Harpoon's IPAs, but Harpoon nailed it with session 49, I hope they beer this beer again as a seasonal, rotational, or even year round.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bomber served in imperial pint glass. Beer is unsurprisingly brown in color with a nice tan head. Super fresh hop aroma, with Amarillo (and apparently Simcoe) right up front. Surprisingly bright smelling for an IPA this color. Flavor is similarly hop forward. Ample IBUs considering the gravity is so tame. I find the bitterness and carbonation so aggressive that I'm not getting roasty chocolate flavors at all. But, as an IPA with an optical gimmick, maybe that's ok.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 2/23/2014 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub, in Pawtucket, RI served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains maple, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out with mildly sweet flavors of maple and caramel. Then a decent hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, good variation of style, it’s a solid beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for a hoppy brown ale.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a deep, dark, candied brown, almost like maple sap. Its sits in the glass as nearly black, with a fat head of medium sized, pebble-like bubbles of an off-white, nearly khaki coloring. The head settles to about a half finger’s width above the glass and lasts for quite a while, leaving a fat sheet of lacing on the wall of the glass. On the nose, the beer smells of dank pine and soft citrus lemon-grapefruit. Close on the hop-scent’s heals is a smooth coffee roast, suggesting touches of baker’s chocolate alongside delightful medium roast coffee. Pine and roast are the two main players on the nose, and they are exactly what I want from a beer of this type. Great smell. On the tongue, the beer delivers much of what the nose promised. Prickly, citric and pine bitters smooth into soft roasted bitters with touches of malt sweetness that provide a great balance, though still allow the bitters to shine. Acidity is light in the beer, providing just a soft pop alongside the bitters and the malt. In flavor, the beer begins as bitter pine which opens into grapefruit dipped in medium roast coffee with just a touch of baker’s chocolate. As I sip more, I even pick up touches of mango and other tropical fruits. The finish is really short on this beer, which is my biggest complaint I would say, leaving me little time to contemplate the flavors before they’ve slipped off my palate. As I drink more, I think I pick up slight metallic flavors and a touch of smoke towards the end of the sip. The aftertaste, however, is bizarrely rich in classic IPA flavors of bitter grapefruit, a touch of medicinal aspirin, and beautiful fresh pine resin. In the mouth, the beer feels oddly light, perhaps on the light side of medium, but with very little weight on the tongue. Carbonation is moderate, and provides a nice prickly scrub to the tongue, but the mouthfeel is quite watery, which allows for great drinkability, but leaves me wanting more grip on my tongue. After the beer leaves, the mouth is left sticky with hop resin, and saliva. Overall, this beer has great flavor and balance, but it is just too light. I want the malt bill amped up and I want to feel a little bit of weight on my tongue. As I sip more and more of the beer, I lose the more delicate flavors that tasted brilliant when I began drinking. With the brown IPA ‘style’ I need some weight on the tongue and a little more of that malt character for flavor. As is, this beer is terrifically drinkable, if a touch watery. I like the flavors, but I want them amped up a little more. This is nice beer, but Harpoon has better IPA offerings at the current time. If brewed again, they should amp up the malt and the ABV a little.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last