Harpoon Summer Beer | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Kölsch

Availability: Summer

Harpoon Summer Beer is a beer brewed to be enjoyed with summertime activities. It is light, refreshing, and crisp.

Added by stirgy on 09-08-2001

Ratings: 1,050 |  Reviews: 382

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

1.78/5  rDev -49.6%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle

Appearence: a gentle yellow, very plain and almost a bit cloudy...

Smell: Thin, grainy - "yeasty" even - mainly just a simple sweet smell.

Taste: It's hard to describe this beer's taste. It's like the beer wants to be better, and taste better, with more crisp and zing, but sadly it falls very short. This beer tries too hard - that is the flaw with this one. The taste is boring, bland, and very tiresome on the tastebuds - it hurts to go through the motions of drinking more than one bottle.

Notes: I tried so hard to like this beer, because I usually love summer beers (wheat, seasonals, etc.); but this beer is just not a very good one for what it's supposed to be. I reviewed this a second time just to be fair and I pretty much have come to the same results: a boring beer, plain, and unimpressive at best. But look on the bright side...UFO is still around and doing well ;)

peace...bc

1.8/5  rDev -49%

Had this on tap at a bar in Dorchester. Unfortunately this beer claims by 100th review.

Appearance was a very light gold. Looked very thin (and tasted thin), and I was served no head on it. No lacing, but fair bubbling.

I smelled next to nothing here. Faint hops and grains, but that's it.

Taste was watery and disappointing. Like a low-quality macro. I tasted bland grain, corn, and a little residual bitterness - not from hops but almost like it was from dirty, poor ingredients. That was the perception at least.

Mouthfeel was thin, yet somewhat lively with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability was fine due to its thinness, but I didn't enjoy it, which unfortunately is half of drinkability in my opinion.

I felt insulted with this one. I'm not one to be snooty about my beers, so that says something. It made me realize there's a problem with the perception of what a summer beer should be. Just because it's summer does it mean we need watery, flavorless beers to drink after mowing the lawn. If I want water, then I'll drink water. IMO this beer has no personality and does no justice to the kolsch style.

1.98/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle with a best by date of July 15, 2010 into a Harpoon pilsner glass.

A: Moderate pour yields an overflowing 4 finger fluffy white head with decent retention. Beer is a crystal clear yellow that reveals ample carbonation. Lacing is stringy but for the most part, non-existant.

S: Slightly wheaty and lemony. Floral comes to mind as well as yeasty. Nose is overall very subdued and there's really not much going on here.

T: Slight bittering hops upfront that gradually become more tart. Maybe a sprinkle of slices towards the middle. That's really it, there's nothing else here. Finish leaves a slight bitterness on the palate which fades quickly.

M: Light bodied, coarse, and highly carbonated. Watery in the mouth and very lively in the back of the tongue. Finish is relatively clean with little aftertaste.

D: Sure, its easy to drink, but I'm not gonna be having this beer again. There's absolutely no substance here, no taste, no nose, and the feel is as thin as water. Don't waste your time with this one.

From my notes at the VBF

On tap at the Harpoon booth at the VBF
A-- Very clear yellow color
S-- Slight to almost no citrus smell nothing distinguishable
T-- Watered down bland slight sweetness
M-- Clean like water
D-- Down it as quickly as possible to get rid of it

I am a fan of the summer beers but this one was a huge disappointment

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Pours amazingly clear yellow with a sandy little head. A sniff yields only that faint malt odor I associate with not-so-great macros. Uh-oh.

Tastes about the same. After the nice clean taste of the wheat beer I just downed, this has a decidedly sour malty tang to it, along with a rather foul aftertaste. I don't dig it.

Not a very good beer. This is my second from Harpoon & I have to say I've been disappointed in both. I doubt I'm going to finish it.

2.35/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

07/28/12
LOOK: Light
AROMA: Beer
TASTE: Wheat, a bit too much for a summer beer.
FEEL: Thin, but a touch of CreamIness

A good summer beer…not too light. OK Flavor. Ellie's 7th Birthday party.

2.44/5  rDev -30.9%

I tried this beer on tap. When the server brought it over, I thought the bar tender had mixed up the order and gave me a Budweiser. After tasting the beer, I still thought it was Bud, so I asked if they mixed up the order. Indeed it was the correct beer. I was disappointed because Harpoon usually puts out decent beer, but this one is terrible. The color is golden yellow like that of a macrobrew and it leaves a decent lacing. The smell is nothing special, typical hops and smells of canned beer. The taste was similar to macro pilsners like PBR. Won't be drinking this one again.

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%