IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

IPAIPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,227 |  Reviews: 1,279

On tap @ '...'(I forgot the name) Locks Restaurant & the Bradley (Hartford) Airport into custom painted pint glass.

A - Pours golden, with a nice white head...- some lacing.

S - Hops and lots of sweet citrus -

T - Smooth & Bright! A good hop kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...

D - This is a great east-coast stand-by!! I don't appreciate the last several 'B and C' grades some of the other members have given Harpoon IPA. The previous beer drinkers claim that this beer appears to be 'too-macro...' For cryin' out loud, this is one of the 1st post Bass IPAs that's been around forever (mid to early 90's) & paved the way for what everyone tastes now...was a fan in the back 'in the day' and remain one :~)

Best IPA ever! This beer has a beautiful deep coppery golden color. The aroma has a hoppy floral bouquet. Outstanding! The taste is wonderful. It tastes like toasty, hoppy, flowery, citrusy goodness. It has perfect balance of malt and hops. It has a terrific medium body which makes the drinkability easy and can been very habit-formering. I love Harpoon IPA.

This is another one of my go-to brews. It's sometimes hard to get but is often available in my area. It is a good session beer for me as the ABV is not too high and it goes well with most food. I haven't seen it outside of my area on recent vacations - I do check around to see what's available. So I guess I'm lucky that I can usually get this top-shelf selection.

My go too. I could drink a case at one time. Classic beer Sam is undergrad. Harpoon is grad school. 98/100

This is the first time I tried the IPA, and it is one of the best I have tried. The taste is very smooth and goes very well with the smell. I think this might be my new favorite beer company.

From the label I would have not thought to try it, but I do know most IPA's are good. However this one has a perfect balance of taste, smell and feel. I will surely try it again.

IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall