Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,156 |  Reviews: 1,265

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Real good. Probably my favorite APA so far. At least best balanced in my opinion; hops to malt.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another of the beers on my sampler tray. Although I had tried this before out of the bottle it had never been better then on-tap at the source. This style was my crossover beer. I've never looked back.
This IPA was an amber color, slightly cloudy, plenty of carbonation. The spicy hops aroma went pleasantly with the yeast and citrus undertones. As with Harpoons other light beer (UFO) this ale has very good mouthfeel. A clean drinking beer which went extremely well with my rare roastbeef sandwich (the New Englander).

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK, so I'm a little bit biased with this review. I've been drinking Harpoon IPA for years and can't believe I never reviewed it until now. It's my favorite IPA, session beer and go to beer at most bars.

The beer pours a clear straw yellow with some orange hues mixed in. A frothy white head forms on top slowly dissolving to a thick ring around the surface leaving behind a nice netting pattern of lace. A citrus aroma of grapefruit and pine with a hint of toasted malt greets you before each sip.

The flavor of this medium bodied smooth beer is filled with hoppy goodness. It begins with some pine and citrus. It sweetens towards the middle with some malt and bubblegum flavors before finishing with a mild bitterness leaving behind a hoppy residue. The hops are not too bitter and are well balanced with the malt. This would be a good beer to introduce someone to the wonderful world of hop bitterness.

Harpoon IPA is the light in the darkness when at a new bar with a (mostly) poor beer selection. It can always be found in my fridge or cooler on a camping trip. It's so easy to drink and full of flavor I can't see why anyone would want another session beer.

4.68/5  rDev +29.3%

4.66/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Favorite go to IPA. Widely stocked in New England.

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really drinkable, tasty, on the lighter side IPA

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%

This beer is always a pleasure to have. It has a very nice golden amber color with a thick white head that sticks to the glass. The smell is really nice. Very fresh, very hoppy and fruity and flowery that overpower the malt tones. The taste is phenomenal. One of the best IPAs, if not the best, I have ever had. It tastes fruity and hoppy and very light malt taste in the background. The good thing about this IPA is that this does not have a very acidy taste, very clean. It's aftertaste is clean and not too bitter which I really like. Very good mouthfeel and very good all around. This is excellent and I recommend it for anyone who wants a refreshing IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: nicely carbonated, very clear copper color looks very nice

S: Hoppy but not over hopped

T: mild taste, a little bread / hop hint.

M: tasted good, crisp clean well rounded malty and hoppyness

D: very tasty will be good for hot summer work, very refreshing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the local hopmeister. A deep rich amber color with a medium body and lasting thick head give this beer a good look, nice heavy hop aroma and powerful, yet mellow hop flavor profile. Nice balance of malts with this one create an easy drinking libation.

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the first breweries to bring ale brewing back to New England. New England, particularly Boston, has always been known as home of ale cisumers, because of its large irish population.

A great IPA. Nice hop malt balance. Not so happy you can't taste the malt. Smooth and very drinkable. One of my favorite all time ales (Ballantine IPA was one and Sierra Nevada IPA another).

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

This is my favorite beer. I could drink it everyday, if it weren't for becoming an alcoholic. I love local beer, and this is the best in the Boston area. Deep malty color, medium body, great hoppy taste this is my IPA standard and furthermore standard beer. Long live Harpoon IPA!

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh bottle poured to YETI.
Nice copper color.
More of a piney hops aroma and flavor initially but found a great floral, citrusy, juicy and hoppy flavor halfway through to the end.
One of my favorite sessionable IPA's off the shelf.
Does not disappoint.
Harpoon. Love beer. Love life.

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking. Being from Boston it is fairly cheap here and a great regular drinking option. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy at times but the taste is a decently hoppy and with a nice bready, biscuity finish. Hints of caramel for me with floral overtones as well. Not too simple, not too complex. A great sessionable beer that keeps you interested while again, remains drinkable. I may be a bit biased, but I have to say I feel this beer is better than reviewers are saying. Harpoon never fails to satisfy me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Copper color along with floral hops and an amazing balance of hops and grains with the full body make this a very good ipa.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

All around one of the better tasting IPA s. Wish it packed more of a kick, but why mess with something close to being perfect.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall