Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Reviews: 1,239 | Ratings: 4,036
2.16/5  rDev -40.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy golden body with a finger of fluffy off-white head Decent retention, scattered lacing.

Nose is rather underwhelming in the hops department. Smells of sweet floral and apple, a dash of lemon that seems somehow artificial. Tastes disappointing as well. Plenty of bready malt, general fruity sweetness, a bit of lemony/medicinal something that could be construed as hoppiness. Old bottle, possible? I'm inclined to think not given the turnover of the store in question. What I'm not inclined to do is to try this again.

2.16/5  rDev -40.5%

A – Pours and almost clear yellow color, similar to an adjunct lager. There is a small white head that develops, but then disappears quickly and leaved no lacing as all.

S – I get a faint bready malt and mild hop character, but it’s hardly there on the boarder of non-existent.

T – Am I drinking an IPA or am I drinking a lager? This beer has hardly any hop character and hardly any malt character. It is like drinking some adjunct lager. It is a clean and crisp beer, but as for flavors I got some mild malt on the bready side and a very small hop character that has a mild citrus to it. Huge let down.

M – Good on this end, it was well carbonated maybe a little overly carbonated for my liking. The mouth feel was very thin.

O – This was a huge let down, then again I don’t know what more I was expecting, but they could have added more flavor to this than they did, it was just hanging there without anything giving it life.

2.21/5  rDev -39.1%

My first review.
When I went to my local beer distrib, he suggested I try this brew.
Poured nicely with a nice thick head and good retention.
The smell was unimpressive. I liked to be knocked over by the smell of hops. The first time I tasted this was right after a Hop Devil, so I assumed that it tasted off because my palate was somewhat numbed by the Hop Devil. I'm not sure if it was the lack of malts or the citrus flavor, but this brew tasted average to me. I also perfer a beer with a little more body to it, not crazy about it being "crisp", I rather it smooth and the mouthfeel a little thicker.
Overall, not bad for the $5 I paid, but after this sixpack is gone, it won't be returning to my beer stash.

2.22/5  rDev -38.8%

Had one in the winter sample pack. Nice appearance with a clear copper look and some good lacing. Aromas were radically weak with little spice wrapped around the hops. Taste was very bland with just a simple bitter taste and lagging metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel was an aid by giving it a dry carbonation but the flavors are not helped at all. Overall, a low quality IPA at least for me.

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Another offering from a recent mixed sixer. This IPA from Harpoon poured a rather clear yellow liquid. The sudsy cap held on for a while. The smell was a floral hop note for sure, with just the slightest element of the malt back noted. Taste? Man something about Harpoon brews, their water perhaps, but I did not enjoy this beer at all. After the obligatory hops all I was left with was a metallic bleh in my mouth. The hops were again floral in nature with just a touch of pineyness. The metallic element lingered in mouth and had me wanting to grab another beer or water to clean it out. I think I am done with Harpoon brews.

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

A good IPA but not my style, serious hops from start to finish. Clear, good head, heavy hop aroma. Medium body and fairly dry. Strong bitter finish.

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

Clear, yellow/orange in color. White head of about a finger.

Crisp, slightly floral with a bit of pronounced malt sweetness.

Taste is initially citrus fruits, though a bit faint. A light bitterness follows and sweet malts. Finish was a funky banana taste that I did no care for in the least.

Feel was crisp, slick and lighter in body.

Not great, though not undrinkable.

2.36/5  rDev -35%

I have tried this in bottle before but decided to give it a try on-tap.

Pours a very clear, lightly fizzy golden copper. Thin white head. Smell is grassy and lightly fruity.

Taste is a crisp light maltiness. Lightly fruity and a puny lightly hoppy finish. Sometimes I couldn't taste the hops at all. Really poor example of the style and not worth expounding upon.

I always try to get my wife to try IPA's because it's one style I can't seem to convert her to. Usually she makes a face and says it's too bitter. When I offered her te Harpoon her response was "Nothing great but I could actually drink this IPA." Enough said about the hop profile.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap earlier tonight at a neighborhood corner bar.

A-This one is a golden orange color with a half-finger head.

S-Bready and caramel malt with a bit of flower and pine hop notes.

T-Orange and maybe a little pine with some light caramel malt and a clean, bitter finish.

M-Light bodied with low carbonation and a thin mouthfeel.

D-A really meh beer for me, not one I would seek out again.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a clear golden with a half finger of nearly absent head. Disappointing to say the least. Lacing is glued to the sides of the glass which is a little more encouraging.

Smell- Citrus hops and that's about it. Lemon and orange and no malt to balance it out. Harpoon is pissing me off early here and I haven't had enough yet to be pissed drunk, so it must just be the beer.

Taste- A little more malt balance on the flavor, but I'm still disappointed. Balanced enough to drink but not enough to enjoy at any length. Lightly bitter but more sweet overall. A smidgen of pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Lightly sticky, too sweet, cloying, light medium bodied, and medium carbonated.

Drinkability- Not good. I was anticipating this beer and in the end it just pissed me off.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Last of the 6-pack here. poured into a glass.

A light golden color, with about one finger of head.

Faint smell. some faint yeasty notes, coriander leaves, really a dry citrus smell,as if smelling an orange rind without the flesh.

mouthfeel is light,crisp, some citrusy hops,and light yeasty notes, but not more hoppy then your average pale ale, less then quite a few pale ales i can think of, much less then most IPAs.
Best by date still 2-1/2 months away so hops i'm sure haven't faded.

This isn't a bad tasting beer, and actually could be a really great beer for newer craft beer drinkers who are used to lighter beers. This beer is very easy drinking, and the hops wouldn't be overbearing after a few pints either, but i don't think i'd really care to have a few pints of it anyway.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks for this one soundbarrier.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear orangey, apricot with a slightly off-white head w/ little to no sticking on the walls of my pint glass. Cool, nautical packaging.

Smell: bread, yeast and some indefinable sweetness like bananas or vanilla

Taste: Tastes watered down compared to the smell. Sweet with mild tartness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and mildly dry

Overall: Easy going IPA, a good crowd pleaser. Too mild for my taste. In my opinion, it should be a Pale Ale, not an IPA.

2.46/5  rDev -32.2%

Has to be a the verge of being a pale ale...IBUs have to be low. I will chalk it up as an English style IPA, but still a "light" one. Pours a deep gold with thin white head. Light, almost clean aroma with a very predictable palate. The hops are there, but not near extent I expect from an IPA. Very drinkable, a beginner IPA for sure.

2.46/5  rDev -32.2%

Tried this once on-tap at a nice restaurant on the Cape.. I remember liking it so I thought I'd give it another try.

The smell is a bit off.. musty, with some definite straw/hay tones. But the taste is pretty good. Nice and well balanced.. a good amount of hops, but not too bitter. I would definitely recommend as it's a pretty decent example of an American IPA, and it's easy to find.

2.51/5  rDev -30.9%

I had high expectations. A unique beer with a unique name. Unfortunately, it was too bitter for my liking. Probably the most bitter beer that I have ever had. It was not watery at all, but if you are a big fan of bitterness then you should like this beer

2.54/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased this one as a single while in New Orleans. Best by date is 6/15/10, so should still be good.

A: Lighter in color, mostly yellow-orange. The head dies fast to a slight lace.

S: Not a whole lot here. Some faint citrus and honey-like sweetness, but otherwise nothin.

T: I got a little skunkiness at first, but this is followed by some grapefruitiness. There's a touch of pine too. The malts are fairly absent, but I do get a mild, grainy sweetness.

M: Light bodied. Finishes crisp and clean. Good carbonation.

D: Overall, a fairly lackluster IPA. I had heard a lot of decent things about it, but in the end I'm dissapointed. I may give it a try again, but will pass for now.

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

I don't know. What were the 'Bros' thinking. I like the amber hue in my glass, but the taste is rather skunky and harsh. I get the aroma of a E-IPA and taste but doesn't do it for me. Nicefluffy head. Fantastic lacing. But score for taste i must knock a few points off.

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

I sampled this beer in the North Train Station in Boston. Tried on draft but in a plastic cup the beer had a pale amber colour with some cloudiness that cleared quickly. The flavour seemed like that of a bit of a started IPA. The hop characters were lacking as well as the fullness of flavour. The redeeming qualities of this beer are the nuttiness, yeast, and malt flavours that shine through in the profile. This beer would be a decent intro IPA for the inexperienced beer drinker. Unlike a full bodied IPA I could enjoy this as a session beer.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

Pale amber color. This beer is very crisp. Too crisp for an IPA in my opinion. I didn't appreciate the wateriness. The aftertaste was also not as pleasant as I had hoped. It's very dry and leaves a bitter bite on the back of the tongue.The package store I work at sells a lot of this, so I thought it would be better. The hops are there (piney), but I prefer a better malt backbone. I'll wait till I see this on draft to try it again.

2.62/5  rDev -27.8%

A golden amber color, with a thin, lacy head with incomplete coverage of the top of the beer.

The nice floral hop character in the nose. Some sweet notes of caramel are there as well.

The taste is a let-down, unfortunately. Not much complexity at the beginning before a strong lingering hop bitterness sets in. I keep swishing it around my mouth and hoping something will arise.

Generally this IPA is pretty average and, frankly, a little boring.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

This 'IPA' pours a deep straw in color, very clear, and yields minimal head and lacing. Smell is mostly hollow, giving up a very light hop nose only when agitated up to hurricane status, otherwise carbonation is too low to yield anything on the nose.

Taste is a bit thin and offers a dry lightly bitter finish, rather unexciting to say the least. Had a number of these on Boston's North Shore a few weeks back for lack of other options. Wouldn't even consider buying this again if other options were available. Should I stumble upon a bottle(vs. tap) I'll revisit.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Serving 22oz bottle

Plenty of fine bubbles rise through a translucent light yellow body toward a finger thick frothy white head. Impressive amounts of thin sticky lacing are left about the glass, the only remnants left as the once billowing white head slowly fades into a thick frothy cap.

Somewhat muted on the nose with aromas of floral hops, grainy malts and bitter hop oils meld with hints of sweet, bready biscuits and a bit of minerals on the nose.

What happened to this beer? I remember it being darker in color - near translucent amber - with a much stronger bitter flavor paired with a nice dry hop finish. Now it features restrainted metallic hop bitters upfront with a bit of sweet malts peaking on the mid palate followed by some bready biscuts and dry grass on the finish. Flavors are very light and muted, overall it's quite restrained.

Mouthfeel is light for the style with ample fizzy carbonation. Flavor and hop bitters are dumbed down with a very short but not unpleasant finish.

This goes down easy, with a small refreshing hop bite and good off-dry bready finish - very quaffable for an ipa.

What happened to this brew harpoon? It used to be a true hophead's ipa with great malts to match. I hate to say it but now it tastes like a BMC level ipa for the masses - not for the die hard craft brew fan but it's a good as a session, party or backup beer.

Cheers!

2.64/5  rDev -27.3%

Trying to figure out the label. Pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with a light orange hue throughout. A soft white head that does stay for some time but does not last through the tasting. Limited lacing as well.

The nose is limited overall. Most a malt backing with some hints of grainy notes. A light sugary note but the limited hop aroma makes this soft even for a pale. Some hints of earthy and light citrus hop notes. Very limited though. Really looking for more hops here. Some minor yeast notes as well.

The taste is similar with the malt being stronger then the hops. A sweetness up front with a malty backing and a light grainy taste. More of a two row with some dextrin notes to add depth. Really missing the bitterness and hops. Some minor hints on hops on the back end with a light orange and earthy taste. Some yeasty notes and a light metallic taste but light.

The body is moderate. Would like to see the malt dry out a bit. The carbonation is light as well. Both would help some hops come out. Overall, limited even for pale standards.

2.66/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured in to pint glass and looked promising. Deep amber with a creamy think head.not shabby.

Smelled like pine and hops, a hint of turpentine or after shave. All in all it promised to be bitter.

If it promised bitterness it didn't fail to deliver. The bitterness hit me up front but lacked any real hops flavor.The only flavors I could taste was a bit of a spice bite and then warmth from the alcohol.

very average mouthfeel quite carbonated though.

Finished clean and fairly quick.

Haven't found an IPA that I've ever liked guess I still haven't. Can't see what all the hype is about, sorry!

2.66/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass. Golden honey, transparent. Light half-inch head that dissipated quickly, with almost no lacing. Seems very carbonated. Mostly malts, and uncharacteristically earthy for an IPA. Smells almost skunky. Taste-wise, it seems a bit low on hops, but I suppose that's more typical of an English IPA (I'm more partial to American IPAs). If I hadn't read the label, I'd have guessed this was a lager. Tastes a little sweeter than I expected. Pleasant, but nothing to write a review about. Probably a nice cross-over for more traditional beer-drinkers looking to dabble in the craft-beer side, but fell a bit flat for me.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall