Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,156 |  Reviews: 1,265
1.82/5  rDev -49.7%

1.83/5  rDev -49.4%

1.93/5  rDev -46.7%

This is the beer that made me realize that I don't enjoy IPA's.

I gave this a try while attempting to complete the 100 Beer Tour at the local college bar. This is the first one that I really didn't like.

The bottle looked nice, and it smelled just a little hoppy. Then I took my first sip and BANG--hops hops and more hops. To the point that it tasted like chlorophyl. I don't mind ESB's so I don't think it was the bitterness that got me. It was just pungent. I had to pass it around to get it finished.

1.94/5  rDev -46.4%

I'm so sorry, but I don't see what everyone else does in this beer. To me, this beer is absurdly over-hopped, so much so that at all temperatures it smells like rotting vegetation and tastes like a pale ale with with alpha acids added from an eyedropper. The malt flavor is too aggressive and tastes over-toasted. I love IPAs with malt flavor, but only if it works to balance the hop flavor. In this case, both flavors are too aggressive. Come on, Harpoon. Your Dark Munich Ale is so good! Everything else you make is so good! Maybe (with more care) this beer as a double IPA would work well? Although this doesn't bear that much resemblance to their Leviathan. Still, in all departments I find it profoundly below average, except maybe appearance and mouthfeel, which are standard (gold with a tinge of brown and not too oily, respectively). This is just one of those beers I can't get into.

1.96/5  rDev -45.9%

Trying as hard as I could, I could find very little in this beer that I approved of.

It poured a clear and very light copper, with a moderate medium density head that left heavy lacing.

The smell was best described as harsh and unforgiving. The characteristic hoppiness of an IPA was present, but in a very one sided and unforgiving way. No malt that I could detect, just harsh hops.

Taste was bad, just plain bad. Harshly bitter (which one would expect in an IPA), but also a little sour. It also had a foul long-lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was about average. Not too dry or too sweet.

I definately will not be buying this again.

2.03/5  rDev -43.9%

clear golden in color. minimal lacing.

smell is almost non existent. fruity esters overtake a mild hop aroma.

taste is mildly hoppy with some esters. the yeast seems lowly attenuative which doesn't allow what little hops are left to shine.

mouthfeel is thin and sweet. not enough cabonation.

pass on this one

2.14/5  rDev -40.9%

Had a Harpoon IPA on draft at Red Robbin last night and I couldn't even tell it was an IPA or even a Pale Ale. There was no hop aroma and barely any taste. It was a bit cloudy also It reminded me of Bud American Ale which has no noticeable hop aroma either . I don't recommend it.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall