Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,111 |  Reviews: 1,257
2.24/5  rDev -38.3%

2.25/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Another offering from a recent mixed sixer. This IPA from Harpoon poured a rather clear yellow liquid. The sudsy cap held on for a while. The smell was a floral hop note for sure, with just the slightest element of the malt back noted. Taste? Man something about Harpoon brews, their water perhaps, but I did not enjoy this beer at all. After the obligatory hops all I was left with was a metallic bleh in my mouth. The hops were again floral in nature with just a touch of pineyness. The metallic element lingered in mouth and had me wanting to grab another beer or water to clean it out. I think I am done with Harpoon brews.

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

A good IPA but not my style, serious hops from start to finish. Clear, good head, heavy hop aroma. Medium body and fairly dry. Strong bitter finish.

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

Clear, yellow/orange in color. White head of about a finger.

Crisp, slightly floral with a bit of pronounced malt sweetness.

Taste is initially citrus fruits, though a bit faint. A light bitterness follows and sweet malts. Finish was a funky banana taste that I did no care for in the least.

Feel was crisp, slick and lighter in body.

Not great, though not undrinkable.

2.36/5  rDev -35%

I have tried this in bottle before but decided to give it a try on-tap.

Pours a very clear, lightly fizzy golden copper. Thin white head. Smell is grassy and lightly fruity.

Taste is a crisp light maltiness. Lightly fruity and a puny lightly hoppy finish. Sometimes I couldn't taste the hops at all. Really poor example of the style and not worth expounding upon.

I always try to get my wife to try IPA's because it's one style I can't seem to convert her to. Usually she makes a face and says it's too bitter. When I offered her te Harpoon her response was "Nothing great but I could actually drink this IPA." Enough said about the hop profile.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap earlier tonight at a neighborhood corner bar.

A-This one is a golden orange color with a half-finger head.

S-Bready and caramel malt with a bit of flower and pine hop notes.

T-Orange and maybe a little pine with some light caramel malt and a clean, bitter finish.

M-Light bodied with low carbonation and a thin mouthfeel.

D-A really meh beer for me, not one I would seek out again.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a clear golden with a half finger of nearly absent head. Disappointing to say the least. Lacing is glued to the sides of the glass which is a little more encouraging.

Smell- Citrus hops and that's about it. Lemon and orange and no malt to balance it out. Harpoon is pissing me off early here and I haven't had enough yet to be pissed drunk, so it must just be the beer.

Taste- A little more malt balance on the flavor, but I'm still disappointed. Balanced enough to drink but not enough to enjoy at any length. Lightly bitter but more sweet overall. A smidgen of pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Lightly sticky, too sweet, cloying, light medium bodied, and medium carbonated.

Drinkability- Not good. I was anticipating this beer and in the end it just pissed me off.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Last of the 6-pack here. poured into a glass.

A light golden color, with about one finger of head.

Faint smell. some faint yeasty notes, coriander leaves, really a dry citrus smell,as if smelling an orange rind without the flesh.

mouthfeel is light,crisp, some citrusy hops,and light yeasty notes, but not more hoppy then your average pale ale, less then quite a few pale ales i can think of, much less then most IPAs.
Best by date still 2-1/2 months away so hops i'm sure haven't faded.

This isn't a bad tasting beer, and actually could be a really great beer for newer craft beer drinkers who are used to lighter beers. This beer is very easy drinking, and the hops wouldn't be overbearing after a few pints either, but i don't think i'd really care to have a few pints of it anyway.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks for this one soundbarrier.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear orangey, apricot with a slightly off-white head w/ little to no sticking on the walls of my pint glass. Cool, nautical packaging.

Smell: bread, yeast and some indefinable sweetness like bananas or vanilla

Taste: Tastes watered down compared to the smell. Sweet with mild tartness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and mildly dry

Overall: Easy going IPA, a good crowd pleaser. Too mild for my taste. In my opinion, it should be a Pale Ale, not an IPA.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

2.46/5  rDev -32.2%

Has to be a the verge of being a pale ale...IBUs have to be low. I will chalk it up as an English style IPA, but still a "light" one. Pours a deep gold with thin white head. Light, almost clean aroma with a very predictable palate. The hops are there, but not near extent I expect from an IPA. Very drinkable, a beginner IPA for sure.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall