Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Liked:
3.62/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,140 |  Reviews: 1,260

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

a great ipa, enjoyed in a can for the first time today. pours crystal clear light brassy color, almost glowing in the sun, with a bigger than one inch off white head. smells like floral hops and english bready malts, balanced but hop forward. flavor matches. this is the classic summer ipa to me, its got just enough body to be an ipa, but its down easy with a drinkable but flavorful malt support cast. the hops are bitter but not challengingly so, just sort of crisp in the finish. also this is very well carbonated, lovely in the mouth. overall one of my go to summer ipas, so much flavor in a drinkable body, this is everywhere for a reason.

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Full inch+ of off-white head that never completely disappeared throughout session. Copper, golden color that is completely and intensely clear. Nose offers bready malts, and faint hop aroma. Taste is malt and hop balance perfected, which is not exactly preferred in the American IPA style. So I'm not taking issue with the beer, just the genre that it's listed under here, according to BA's definition of an American IPA. The brewery brochure simply says it's an IPA, so this may be more accurate. Flavor is certainly floral, some definite cascade hoppiness, and finishes with an unexpected sweet/malty appearance. I can't put my finger on it, perhaps ?mead? which would go along with the floral nature to the beer. Mouthfeel, again, is lighter than one would expect from an IPA. If it were styled as a Pale Ale I may have given it a perfect rating across the board. All this being said, I more than thoroughly enjoyed this beer. So much so that I could drink it all day long. Beer substitute for water? Thank you very much Harpoon!

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Just the standard IPA copper color. Not real standout to me because the head isn't all that thick. It is soapy, but it's thinner than most IPAs I've had. Also, there is quite a bit of lacing from this beer.

S- VERY MILD SCENT! Light floral hops with a ton of malt! Very standard, run-of-the-mill, scent for an IPA. Doesn't smell like a west-coast style at all.

T- Just like the scent. You get a mild, floral hop bitterness. The malt to me seems to balance the hop bitterness real nice! The bitter aftertaste is gone pretty much as soon as you swallow the beer. I would prefer a hoppier beer and a slightly long finish, but not an extremely long finish.

M- Light-to-medium. The body is not too sweet or sticky. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is a good beer. It's nowhere near my favorite IPA. I just wish the Harpoon IPA had a bigger hop taste and smell. I live in Massachusetts, so this beer is very easy for me to find. This is one of the beers that everyone from New England has/should have tried at some point in their craft beer journey.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall