Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Liked:
3.62/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,139 |  Reviews: 1,260

2.97/5  rDev -18%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle. Best by date 12/15/11.

A: Clear, bubbly, light gold in color. Massive frothy head with good sticky lacing. I prefer my IPA's to be cloudier and slightly darker in color than this appears.

S: Floral, citrus, and grassy pine. Smells crisp.

T: Mild citrus hop flavor. Grassy flowery after taste. The taste isn't bad but it is very underwhelming. Tastes weak and watered down. No bite, hop presence more at a level of an average pale ale or golden ale. The lightness in color is always a dead giveaway!

M: Somewhat sticky and frothy. Smooth and slick. Nice consistency.

O: Well I thought for sure that this would better represent as it seems to have been around forever. I am however disappointed overall. The weakest IPA I've ever had in terms of hop presence. Can think of countless other IPA's that are <6% abv that provide a better experience related to this style. Shouldn't have bought a sixer. Oh well.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Pours a nice clear golden hue with a small off white head with nice lacing. Earthy piney hops, some spicy grapefruit hit the senses followed by some nice malt and yeast. Taste of earthy piney hops, some nice citrusy grapefruit notes and some nice malt and yeast. Palate is a nice medium to full body, and good carbonation. Finishes with an earthy piney hoppiness, some spicy grapefruit tones balanced by some nice biscuit caramel malt, some yeast and a bit of a nutty flavor. Overall a nicely balanced and drinkable IPA.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 39 degrees Fahrenheit into a shaker pint. Best by 10.15.11(yikes.)

Pours a hazy orangy-gold with a half finger white head that dissipates relatively quickly.

Smells of some sour candied orange, a hint of wheat grain maybe? Not well projected at all.

Tastes of a clean citrus hop attack that dries down almost immediately, leaving just a hint of wheat in the back of the palate. Almost acts initially like it might go the way of cloying, before amazingly almost cleaning up completely. Really pretty drinkable for this reason though, and one that means that I would imagine this would go really pretty well with food. Not especially memorable, and not something I'm going to jump at the next time I see it.

86.

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

A – Pours and almost clear yellow color, similar to an adjunct lager. There is a small white head that develops, but then disappears quickly and leaved no lacing as all.

S – I get a faint bready malt and mild hop character, but it’s hardly there on the boarder of non-existent.

T – Am I drinking an IPA or am I drinking a lager? This beer has hardly any hop character and hardly any malt character. It is like drinking some adjunct lager. It is a clean and crisp beer, but as for flavors I got some mild malt on the bready side and a very small hop character that has a mild citrus to it. Huge let down.

M – Good on this end, it was well carbonated maybe a little overly carbonated for my liking. The mouth feel was very thin.

O – This was a huge let down, then again I don’t know what more I was expecting, but they could have added more flavor to this than they did, it was just hanging there without anything giving it life.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall