Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Harpoon IPA is an interpretation of the classic English style using hops and malt grown in the United States.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,126 |  Reviews: 1,257

This is another one of my go-to brews. It's sometimes hard to get but is often available in my area. It is a good session beer for me as the ABV is not too high and it goes well with most food. I haven't seen it outside of my area on recent vacations - I do check around to see what's available. So I guess I'm lucky that I can usually get this top-shelf selection.

My go too. I could drink a case at one time. Classic beer Sam is undergrad. Harpoon is grad school. 98/100

This is the first time I tried the IPA, and it is one of the best I have tried. The taste is very smooth and goes very well with the smell. I think this might be my new favorite beer company.

From the label I would have not thought to try it, but I do know most IPA's are good. However this one has a perfect balance of taste, smell and feel. I will surely try it again.

While many new IPA's have certainly entered the realm of Imperial or double IPA, and surely are jam packed full of flavor, I wonder how many reviewers remember when Harpoon was the only company that made one. And in 94 it was certainly more hoppy than any beer I had ever tasted. It still holds up as a great tasting brew. That unique bubblegum flavor poons' yeast spits out really sits well with the cascade nose. Really clean and fresh when in Boston. Hard to find a better choice when in the city, rarely disappoints. It seems to me that many newbie IPA brewers are just masking nasty yeast aroma or low boils or lackluster fermentation, with huge amounts of hops, alcohol, or residual sugar. To pack the flavorful punch of Harpoon into 5.9% and 42 ibu's is a testament to the brewers passion for drinkable beer.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall