Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,175 |  Reviews: 1,270

While many new IPA's have certainly entered the realm of Imperial or double IPA, and surely are jam packed full of flavor, I wonder how many reviewers remember when Harpoon was the only company that made one. And in 94 it was certainly more hoppy than any beer I had ever tasted. It still holds up as a great tasting brew. That unique bubblegum flavor poons' yeast spits out really sits well with the cascade nose. Really clean and fresh when in Boston. Hard to find a better choice when in the city, rarely disappoints. It seems to me that many newbie IPA brewers are just masking nasty yeast aroma or low boils or lackluster fermentation, with huge amounts of hops, alcohol, or residual sugar. To pack the flavorful punch of Harpoon into 5.9% and 42 ibu's is a testament to the brewers passion for drinkable beer.

4.96/5  rDev +37%

4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

This has to be one of my favorite ipa's.
You can smell the hops while you pour.
Golden Orange with a big thick head. Great lace.
At first a salty green rind flavour followed by a rush of citrus and sweet malt.

4.85/5  rDev +34%

Pours a beautiful bright golden yellow with a nice thick foamy head and quite a bit of carbonation.

Strong biscuity malt aroma nutty and earthy, with a fruity tea-like hoppiness.

Smooth and crisp on the palate, sweet with a biscuit malt flavor. Very nice spiced, tea-like hoppiness in the middle. Piny/Citrusy bitter finish clings to the palate.

Balanced, drinkable and very refreshing. A session beer with some a warming effect to it. One of my all-time favorites

Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +33.7%

This is not a GREAT beer, by which I mean it's terribly accessible. It is what it is--a robust, full, fruity hopped-up beer. As much as I like dirty double stouts and bitter imperial IPAs, the Harpoon IPA is a winner. Maybe "delicious" is a careful appropriate word here. Unfortunately, every place I've seen that carries it carries better beer. Oh well, it's worth it now and agian, and is a great gift for the novice who likes IPA but doesn't know the difference between Pale Ale and IPA. A gift, that is, were I get to keep/have some.

4.82/5  rDev +33.1%

If you are an IPA fan this is a no-doubt, failproof, reliable, never disappointing beer of choice. It is found on tap at most Boston area establishments.

A: vibrant glowing brown color.

S: earthy, clean, euphoric

T: hoppy, sharp, crisp, clean

M: medium body/carbonation, refreshing

D: Great with dinner but distinct enough that it stands out on it's own.If drinkability means you can have 6 and can still say "This is a good f'n beer!" then Harpoon IPA is "King of Drinkability"

Absolutely delicious! Plus 5.9% and $7/6-pack.

4.78/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours amber with a white head. This beer is popular in my area; so, it on tap everywhere. The more IPAs I drink, the more I'm reminded that this is a go to IPA and rivals anything else I've had. It's very smooth and balanced with floral and citrus notes. Not to strong, not too light; so, I keep going back and I'm never disappointed.

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

My favorite IPA - this is what I compare all of my other IPA tastings to. Perfect hop aroma with crisp tangy citrus flavor. Yummy!

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall