Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Harpoon IPA | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA
3.62/5
Good
Harpoon IPAHarpoon IPA

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

We started brewing this beer as a summer seasonal in 1993. There were some great IPAs out in the Pacific Northwest, but no local IPAs on the east coast. We wanted to have a local IPA, so we brewed one. People absolutely loved it, and so did we. So we made it a year-round beer, and it’s now our bestselling beer and our flagship.

Since its introduction, Harpoon IPA has remained unique in its ability to balance hop bitterness with a strong malt backbone. Dry-hopped with Cascade hops, it has a floral hop aroma and a finish that is bitter (it is an IPA after all!) without being harsh or astringent. Combined with a malty sweetness and the fruity esters of our proprietary yeast, those hops create a beer that is wonderfully hoppy but clean and refreshing enough to enjoy a few of - and we hope you do.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2000

Ratings: 4,174 |  Reviews: 1,269

2.03/5  rDev -43.9%

clear golden in color. minimal lacing.

smell is almost non existent. fruity esters overtake a mild hop aroma.

taste is mildly hoppy with some esters. the yeast seems lowly attenuative which doesn't allow what little hops are left to shine.

mouthfeel is thin and sweet. not enough cabonation.

pass on this one

2.14/5  rDev -40.9%

Had a Harpoon IPA on draft at Red Robbin last night and I couldn't even tell it was an IPA or even a Pale Ale. There was no hop aroma and barely any taste. It was a bit cloudy also It reminded me of Bud American Ale which has no noticeable hop aroma either . I don't recommend it.

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy golden body with a finger of fluffy off-white head Decent retention, scattered lacing.

Nose is rather underwhelming in the hops department. Smells of sweet floral and apple, a dash of lemon that seems somehow artificial. Tastes disappointing as well. Plenty of bready malt, general fruity sweetness, a bit of lemony/medicinal something that could be construed as hoppiness. Old bottle, possible? I'm inclined to think not given the turnover of the store in question. What I'm not inclined to do is to try this again.

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

A – Pours and almost clear yellow color, similar to an adjunct lager. There is a small white head that develops, but then disappears quickly and leaved no lacing as all.

S – I get a faint bready malt and mild hop character, but it’s hardly there on the boarder of non-existent.

T – Am I drinking an IPA or am I drinking a lager? This beer has hardly any hop character and hardly any malt character. It is like drinking some adjunct lager. It is a clean and crisp beer, but as for flavors I got some mild malt on the bready side and a very small hop character that has a mild citrus to it. Huge let down.

M – Good on this end, it was well carbonated maybe a little overly carbonated for my liking. The mouth feel was very thin.

O – This was a huge let down, then again I don’t know what more I was expecting, but they could have added more flavor to this than they did, it was just hanging there without anything giving it life.

2.2/5  rDev -39.2%

2.21/5  rDev -39%

My first review.
When I went to my local beer distrib, he suggested I try this brew.
Poured nicely with a nice thick head and good retention.
The smell was unimpressive. I liked to be knocked over by the smell of hops. The first time I tasted this was right after a Hop Devil, so I assumed that it tasted off because my palate was somewhat numbed by the Hop Devil. I'm not sure if it was the lack of malts or the citrus flavor, but this brew tasted average to me. I also perfer a beer with a little more body to it, not crazy about it being "crisp", I rather it smooth and the mouthfeel a little thicker.
Overall, not bad for the $5 I paid, but after this sixpack is gone, it won't be returning to my beer stash.

2.22/5  rDev -38.7%

Had one in the winter sample pack. Nice appearance with a clear copper look and some good lacing. Aromas were radically weak with little spice wrapped around the hops. Taste was very bland with just a simple bitter taste and lagging metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel was an aid by giving it a dry carbonation but the flavors are not helped at all. Overall, a low quality IPA at least for me.

Harpoon IPA from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall